Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 13  (Read 3182 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Ponderings 13
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »

Fate - How appropriate I write this latest pondering under the subject Ponderings 13.  Thirteen is significant in the superstition of some cultures.  Some put Fate under the category of superstition.  Was watching the reporting of the tragedy/massacre at Virginia Tech.  We Americans, at least our media, love to wallow in tragedy--sure boosts ratings.  Back on topic, I particularly noted early reporting of a professor who had survived the Holocaust but died a hero blocking the door so the shooter could not enter his classroom.  There are folks who survive sure death and wonder why it is they survived and not the person next to him/her when both were in harm's way.  Here in Appalachia, there is a mindset that "some things are meant to be."  I can't help thinking he survived the death camps to save the lives of countless students and their future offspring yesterday.  Sure, he taught numerous folks throughout his career.  But perhaps his fate was to save those lives yesterday.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Ponderings 13
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 11:02:23 PM »

On some level, :angel I'm sure you're right, Magispook.

:hug

"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »

Medium Coke Please - I almost got killed Wednesday.  Someone merged onto the interstate and did not see the Jeep wagon beside him.  The Jeep saw him at the last moment and swerved over in front of me not seeing me.  I did not see this maneuver coming and had to simply react by braking (both feet) and swerving onto the edge of the left lane at the posted speed limit (70 mph).  Good thing I make it a point to drive the speed limit.  All things went favorably and no one touched the other(s).  A potential Charmin moment for sure.  So what does Coke have to do with this?  Wednesday morning I had to get up earlier than usual following a less than sleep filled night to take my wife and daughter to school for a trip to Baltimore (my daughter is part of a steel drum band and they are invited seemingly everywhere to play).  My day was jam packed as well and I did not have the luxury of packing my lunch.  So, I had to stop at the McDonald's drive-thru and order a meal #2 with diet Coke for the drink.  Somehow the person taking my order placed the order for the next size up on the Coke.  I was tempted to complain when I got the order as it was thirty cents more than I had planned but I was in a hurry and so I let it go.  I couldn't drink all the Coke at one time and left it in my truck while I went inside a building and worked the next few hours.  The Coke was still cool when I left for home and so I drank the rest of it.  The caffein boost is what gave me the edge when I was presented with that unexpected swerving Jeep.  I suspect, given my fatigue, I would either be waking up in a hospital ICU or not waking up at all if I hadn't had that extra amount of caffein.  Strange how little things can cause unexpected consequences, eh?  Bet others here can relate instances where "if that hadn't happened, this wouldn't have happened" too.  What say you?

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »

First of all I am glad you survived and did not get hurt. Secondly, it always amazes me when I hear a story such as yours, that seemingly insignificant little things can add up into one to make a BIG difference! It makes a person wonder if the small things we do today or right now will add up to making a BIG difference later.
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 10:24:21 AM »

Weight Loss - I've been going to one work site now for about eleven years and often interface with the same folks I interfaced with initially there.  Some of those folks have allowed nature and age to tailor their physiques.  Others have drastically lost weight through radical lifestyle changes or stomach stapling.  The dramatic weight loss folks have stuck me in a way I did not expect.  They look gaunt and the joie de vivre that used to be in their faces is gone.  Perhaps they are actually happy because new doors have opened to them now that the "fat stigma" is gone and it simply does not reflect in their face as I pass them due to the physiological change.  I don't know.  The weight loss may have lengthened or improved the quality of their lives--a few were morbidly obese.  But I'm struck with the loss of the glow that used to be even during conversation with them nowadays--all business and hurry, no time to "smell the roses."  I too have had to lose weight due to my diabetes.  Lost about 35 pounds or so when diagnosed due to the disease.  Gained about 20 back over the past few years.  Try as I might, I keep going back to about 180 pounds which is about 15 pounds lighter than when diagnosed.   I've pretty much determined I'm not going to beat myself up for failing to get to my ideal weight.  I typically am on a natural high and dieting for a Type A personality reforming to to a Type B is frustrating to say the least.  I definitely don't want to become one of those I see.  Then again, maybe I just don't like change, eh?

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »

Magispook, I am a firm believer that angels arrange delays in our lives sometimes.

I remember many times a delay caused me impatient anxiety such as traffic jams, long lines at the grocery or even a flat tire. Who knows why but as I look back I can see that there may have been a good reason. Sure, sometimes it may just teach us patience but at other times I'm sure we are saved from catastrophe.

One time I was supposed to meet my DH at a banquet hall for the annual Christmas dinner that his employer provided. The shop and the hall was about 40 miles from our farm. It was scheduled on a friday night about 2 hours after he got off work so he decided to hang around the area rather than come home. I was to meet him there.

I followed the map he drew for me as the area was unfamiliar and it was at night.

About 5 miles from the place my car stopped running. No power at all. It wouldn't restart, no lights, no radio; nothing. Thankfully it was under an overpass and others could go around me but there was no other traffic.

I was afraid as it was dark and I didn't know the area. And those were the days before cell phones.

I put the hood up hoping for a police officer or someone to help.

After about 30-40 minutes my DH came looking for me as I was late. He drove the route that he mapped for me.

He checked and tried different things to start the car but nothing worked.

He decided that we would have to call a tow truck to take the car home. But I said let me try to start it one more time.

It started right away and everything worked. Wow.We decided to go to the dinner late. However, about a block from the area that the car died there were emergency vehicles, cruisers and many flashing lights.

A semi-truck had crashed and a small sports car was half-way under the rear end of the truck. :cry By the looks of the car, I doubt there were any survivors.

I can't help believing that I might have been under the rear end of that truck if the car had started earlier.

Odd thing too; we never had any mechanical problems before with that car and didn't for years after that.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »

Deathbed Requests - Folks, I might not be posting here for a bit.  I have to deal with a meat-world crisis that is sapping all my energy.  I could really use positive vibes sent my way.  A bit of advice:  please consider the burden placed upon the survivor when/if you make a deathbed request.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 03:38:19 AM »

Dan, I'm sending all kinds of positive vibes, good wishes, some old-fashioned luck, and a bit of advice as well. :hug

You are a man of great integrity, and while you are cherished for that, accept that you are also human. I have no idea what you've been asked to do in this way, but the only appropriate reply is....
"I'll do my best."

Too often people ask others to accomplish things that they couldn't or wouldn't do while they could, and then they ask someone who they feel may get it done, all without realizing the heavy burden it will place on the survivor.

Sometimes it is really alright to modify our response to that kind of request, or make adjustments in HOW we get it done. We must consider ourselves and our family, our needs, abilities, etc.

If any of my thoughts are beneficial to you, I'll enjoy being a positive vibe in your life. Thank you for being that in mine. :smihearts

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. :rosie

"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 10:36:50 AM »

Good vibes, lots of  :pray and good thoughts for you. CL is right you can only do just so much, I always believe it is best to go the best job you can do and let it go at that.  :hug
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976
Pages: [1] |   Go Up