Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips and Tricks of a Miscellaneous Nature  (Read 39053 times)

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
Re: Tips and Tricks of a Miscellaneous Nature
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »

Thanks so much for all the tips they are great.

Flexible vacuum
To get something out of a heat register or under the
 fridge add an empty paper towel roll or empty gift wrap roll to
 your vacuum.
 It can be bent or flattened to get in
 narrow openings.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »

Copenhagen Solar Cooker Light:  Was looking at a Copenhagen Solar Cooker Light at the below link and thought I might be able to reverse engineer something similar.  They sell on e-bay for about $25 plus shipping.  I did come up with a cheaper, lower quality cooker which I tested yesterday, the first day of any decent sun for about a week.  The down side of solar cookery is you do need sun.  Once you have sun, you can extend the heating aspect by placing whatever you heated in a thermos, fireless cooker, heated stones, etc. but you must have sun first in order to gain any benefit so I had to have patience and await a day with some sun at least.  Regarding Magispook's cheap knockoff version, I bought a sheet of mirror-like silver colored Chromolux (Strathmore Decorative Sheet) possible part number 452-9 for $5 at our local Michael's craft store.  The size is 19.5 inches by 26 inches. I cut it into four 9.75 inch squares and had a strip left over for other smaller experiments.  I folded one corner of each square shiny side in toward the center (distance from the tip to the new edge was 3 inches.  I then placed all four of the new triangles together to form a square which becomes the bottom of the cooker and taped them lightly (so I could remove the tape) together.  This gives you room to easily put a 5 inch diameter pot inside the cooker.  The sides of the cooker are then brought up and held by paperclips (the Copenhagen uses clothespins which is probably better as long as they grip tightly).  You can adjust the focus of the sun's rays by moving (sliding) the sides and locking in the position with the paperclips.  Your dark colored cooking utensil is placed in an oven bag which is filled with air and closed with the twist-tie (or equivalent) that comes with the bag.  I placed an oven thermometer in with the small black pot and mason jar rice cooker on top of the pot.  I found you get better heating by placing the pot on a trivet or something to raise it off the bottom surface of the cooker and making sure the bottom of the cooker is insulated from the ground.  I also found it is better to position the cooker so that two "fins" (tops of the sheets) face the sun at the same time.  Results were mediocre (best temp was 150 degrees) and the rice didn't really cook.  But, I must keep in mind that we are in the third week of January here in north-central WV and that insolation will be much better a few months from now so I will simply put it away for experiements later.  Total cost of the experimental cooker was $5 and about half an hour (with four Asians in the house, we have plenty of rice so I didn't include it in the costs ::D).  Haven't stopped on the solar experimental route though, because yesterday I bought a Coleman 28 quart cooler cheap at Goodwill and I believe I may have come up with a method to use it as a standard cooler but also be able to convert it quickly to a solar oven.  More on that later.

http://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.com/copenhagen-solar-cooker-light-21oz.html
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »

Forgot to add:  $0.50 for the oven bag.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »

I'd really like to do a better job of solar cooking this year, but I'll wait until we have more sun to play with it. I have more than enough 'challenges' to contend with this winter. :gaah

I sure do like reading about your projects tho. :hug :ty2
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »

This really interests me Magispook.  Thanks for sharing!

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »

LED Flashlight to Lantern Conversion - I got a number of 9 LED flashlights at AutoZone for a few bucks each.  Lots of light from such a small flashlight.  Saw a neat modification on a hammock camping forum which I have modified as well.  The modification suggested on the forum was to convert a small LED flashlight to a lantern by putting a white translucent plastic 35mm film canister on the business end of the flashlight.  I couldn't find any film canisters right at this moment so I put an emply translucent pill bottle (or vitamin bottle-whatever will fit) on the business end.  Instant transformation to a bright lantern!  The one problem I have with this setup is that the butt end of the flashlight is a bit rounded which prevents me from setting the lantern in the typical vertical fashion with the light end facing up instead of sideways.  My solution is to set that part of the flashlight into another pill bottle.  Real easy project and a re-use for the pill bottles/film canisters.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2010, 11:40:52 PM »

Now that sounds neat for a variety of luminous solutions. :ty2 for the idea.

Bet it would be cool hung upside down from the inside top of a tent, too.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2010, 04:44:55 PM »

flashlight to lantern   great idea.  :clap

Now for setting it upright a couple of things come to mind if you don't have another container
--
surround the flashlight with rocks or suppend it from a branch.   :)

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2010, 08:50:29 PM »

Customized Hiking Staff - This post on my customized do it yourself hiking staff is from the early days of OCH.  I still have and use the staff ::: I designed my hiking staff after looking at a commercial one called the “Rescue Rod” I found for sale on the internet.  Mine is made from one of those extender paint handles found at the hardware section of places like Walmart and Kmart.  It’s about five feet long. I had a choice of blue or brown.  I chose brown--looks better I think. I took out the inner extension to use for its intended purpose.  I put a rubber crutch tip on the bottom.  Inside (from the bottom to the top) are a space blanket, cyalume stick, single battery mini-mag flashlight, matches, Vaseline coated cotton balls, Tums, aspirin, Bandaids, Bacitracin packet, small Swiss Army knife -- all in small zip-lock bags except for the space blanket and cyalume stick.  There a couple bigger zip-lock bags also for use as water containers, etc.  All these are easily retrievable with the use of a bent coat-hanger with an “L” shape hook on either end running the length of the staff placed inside as well.  A small bottle of iodine tablets for water treatment could easily fit in there too.  I don’t like fish so I didn’t really consider putting fishing stuff in there but, again, it would have fit.  I have placed a generous portion of tightly rolled toilet paper and a glucose tablet in the cap of the handle portion of the staff.  Two large black plastic trash bags (shelter) folded small are secured to the top portion of the staff with about twenty-five feet of cordage wrapped around the bags.  I have placed a few one and a half inch wide strips of bicycle inner tube around the cordage to attach other things if needed and it keeps the cordage from slipping.  I have wrapped two military elastic blousing straps near the top as well.  Sometimes I attach a multi-function whistle (whistle, compass, magnifying glass, thermometer) to one of the blousing straps but I try to avoid things just hanging off the staff not tied in place as they rattle around--a lingering prejudice from my military tactical training days.  I have placed some Velcro around the top as well to attach things.  I have a little mirror on there right now--not much function but looks neat.  I also liberated a carrying strap from a piece of luggage I could no longer cannibalize from thus making a tolerable sling in case I get tired and simply want to carry the staff instead of walking with it.  And, of course,  I have marked it in one foot intervals.  Staffs are neat things.  They make good defense weapons against dogs and people if you know how to use them.  They help you maintain balance in mud and water and give you something sturdy to use to pull others up difficult terrain or get out of water.  I believe I will take my own suggestion and laminate pictures of family onto the staff near the cap.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 09:29:41 AM »

Buffs - No, I don't mean the Air Force vernacular for B-52.  I'm a hammock camper and at one of the forums I belong to, there was a link to a youtube video of a buff.  The folks at the forum commissioned one for sale with the forum logo on it.  I have used a summer weight olive-drab or black one for years but was unaware folks who haven't served in the military use them.  Anyhow, here's the link in case you're not aware of them.  Thought you might find it useful.  My wife made some winter ones from fleece at the fabric section of Walmart a few years ago.  They were very popular with those who received them and are still being used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQAKQ0y87d0&feature=player_embedded

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »

Thanks for the link Magispook.
I have seen this type of head wear but never thought what they were called.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »

Thanks for sharing this. I've never knowingly seen one of these.

That said, I think I'll have to make some, for me and for my DGD, DD, DH...
...you know what I mean. :ROFL

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2010, 08:39:08 AM »

These are what was made so popular by the teams on "Survivor".

I have even seen the girls on there wear them as a tube top. That sure won't be happening around here. :lol
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 07:53:51 PM »

I'm Not Making This Up - My Korean wife's friend just came back with a popular gift for my wife from Korea.  No joke, you've heard of a money belt--she brought back a pair of money panties.  They look like the standard pair of cotton flowered panties.  However, about half an inch below the elastic at the top is a finely zippered passport sized rectangular pocket in which a passport or money can be stashed.  Obviously one cannot retrieve the "booty" ( :devil ) upon demand right out in public (notice although I wanted to say "pubic" I didn't).  However, I can see a pragmatic purpose served despite the huge joke/pun potential.  It would be easy to modify a pair of your present knickers to meet specifications.  Who's gonna know or closely inspect your handiwork?  Back when I was young and had not discovered the absolute comfort of boxers, I've been known to wrap up a backup packet of funds/ID in a handkerchief and place in a similar area while wearing briefs (Y-fronts for you Brits) when traveling to high crime areas.  Got your bug-out knickers everyone? 

Goldhound2

• OCH Friend
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2010, 10:49:41 PM »

if you have a striped out screw in a wood door, pulle the screw and insert a kitchen matchstick in the hole and replace the screw...it will tighten up nicely.

Goldhound2

• OCH Friend
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »

I'm sorry...Once again it seems that when I post on a thread, it dies....never again

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »

I thought I held the title of thread killer.  Actually, I was going to post that I will be using a toothpick to help with the loose screws in the door of our wall clock.  So your post has been heeded.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »

Podcasts - I inherited my daughter's Ipod Nano.  It's well used as in beat up, only a portion of the screen can be seen, and it has a few scratches but it still works.  She got a new gee whiz one with all the whistles and bells.  I've discovered podcasts.  Free podcasts.  Just search for 'em at the I-tune store in the podcast section.  I'm in the process of downloading hundreds of shows from NPR.  Funny ones like Car Talk and fascinating history/science/etc. ones.  There are also some great tickler foreign language teaching programs such as from survivalphrases.com .  Right now, I am in the process of picking up some really useful German and Italian phrases for our upcoming vacation in Germany.  All free!  I can learn and/or be entertained while I cut the grass and do my daily three mile walk.  Also my wife and I will have something to break the boredom of those long intervals between flights.  Did I mention the podcasts are free?  That's the price I like!   :)

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2010, 08:04:06 PM »

I'm happy for you but it's all Greek to me.
Where would I find an I Tune Store ?

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »

Here's an info on the how-to's:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11 |   Go Up