Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips and Tricks of a Miscellaneous Nature  (Read 39638 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Tips and Tricks of a Miscellaneous Nature
« on: January 28, 2007, 04:20:18 PM »

Here's a place to donate tips and tricks to make life a wee bit easier--stuff that simply doesn't fit into any place deserving its own thread.
- Such as:  I have to take a medication three times a day.  It doesn't have to be taken at exactly eight hour intervals.  I can cheat an hour or so on the time which is great as I may be on the road, conducting an interview, etc., and it would be inconvenient to stop the process to take that med.  Problem is, as I age, I sometimes have difficulty recalling whether or not I have taken that med in the very recent past especially when I'm at home.  I thought of writing down a log but I know me and it would be used sporadically at best.  My solution is placing a refrigerator magnet (meds stored on top of the refrigerator) at a designated location on the refrigerator for each time of day when I retrieve the pill from the bottle.  Works great.
- Speaking of memory helpers, I find that if I place something unusual in my shoe the night before, I will recall what it is I am supposed to remember the next day when I find the unusual object in the shoe as I'm trying to put my foot in there.  What's this doing here?  Oh yeah, I was supposed to (fill in the action needed).  Of course, this could be compromised by practical jokers or playful puppies.
- We were given funds to eat at a local restaurant in celebration of my niece's birthday.  Problem was, she wanted to go to the restaurant on (Saturday) at about 6:00 p.m.  Prime time for their heavy load of customers.  I looked up their menu on the internet (Olive Garden), got the local menu and prices, queried the family as to what they wanted to order, and called in a take-out order.  Order was to be picked up in thirty minutes.  While waiting to pick up the order, I listened to the hostess telling folks coming in to "get on the list" that the wait would be 80 minutes or so.  Saved about an hour waiting plus time it would have taken to fix the meals after we ordered had we waited outside for our table, avoided huge tip, my frail mother-in-law didn't have to wait in a crowd or in the cold outside and neither did the kids, avoided the inflated cost of drinks, and enjoyed dining on restaurant food (rare treat for us) in the comfort of our own home without folks accidentally bumping as they pass the table, someone coughing and hacking nearby, and no need to shout to talk at the table.  You might want to consider it an option.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
Re: Tips and Tricks of a Miscellaneous Nature
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 07:07:14 PM »

All wonderful tips!  :)
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 08:05:06 PM »

- Slickey-boy deterrant.  I did four USAF tours in Korea.  The GI slang for thief used by both Americans and Koreans is "slickey-boy."  Most residences in close-packed cities had cement walls enclosing the compound (no yards, you don't see grass in the city).  On top of the three to four inch thick walls were broken bottles and glass shards with the cutting business ends sticking up and encased in cement to keep them from simply being swept aside by persons trying to climb over the wall.  Cheap minimal deterrant or at least slowing down the slickey-boys.  Tacks on the window sill may act as a barrier in situations where law enforcement cannot quickly respond such as rioting or looting.  Gives you time to get out your baseball bat or firestick.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 12:04:13 PM »

Vitamin D tablets - I have been suffering from diabetes related depression for awhile now.  Could be why I haven't been posting as often here in MM.  Finally talked with my doc about it and he told me to take vitamin D tablets.  Sure has made a positive difference.  May or not work for others but has for me.  Thought I'd pass it on.

pixelphoto

• OCH Friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »

on the broken bottles on the fence and tacks near the windowsills I would say in a riot those are ok but remember you don't want to be sued for some idiot trying to illegally climb over your fence on in your yard doing something they shouldn't  have been doing anyway. There have been booby traps set by people thinking they were protecting their property and sued by the burglars because they got hurt on it.
I know our law system isn't perfect.
But people also sued McDonalds for selling hot coffee and them dropping it in their lap while driving go figure.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 08:55:56 PM »

Yep, you see very few personal injury lawsuits in Korea.  Not like here for sure.  Just got another thought, though, also from my experience there.  We had periodic protests, some of them violent, outside our main gate.  Until......we started putting sticky black tar down on the road leading to the gate.  The protesters wanted to do their sit-in and runs at the gate but balked at the thought of getting dirty.  The principle might be of use here--somehow use the "ick factor" as a deterrant.   ;D

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »

The words Passive/Agressive come to mind here. :giggle
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 07:34:30 PM »

- Wrinkle-free pants in the morning - Prepare pants/trousers/slacks as if you were going to put them on a hanger.  Instead of a hanger, place the cuffs together and put them into the top drawer of what we here in WV call a chest of drawers and close the drawer.  The waist of the pants will be outside and at the bottom.  The weight will take care of wrinkles giving you the appearance of a neatly pressed pair of pants in the morning.  You may consider using a closed door if you have no chest of drawers such as when traveling.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »

- VOX - I like to listen to my scanner.  It can be addicting at times.  I may be a budding info junkie.  I've come to a simple solution for listening to it while I take a walk about a half mile away from the scanner base station I have.  I use the voice activated transmission (VOX) function on my FRS radio to keep in tune.  I do miss the first part of the transmission as the VOX has to determine there is something to transmit before it will and my FRS radios do not offer a sensitivity adjustment.  The VOX could have other uses such as allowing one to listen to a TV program (news of course) while away from the TV.  Don't know if that is legal in that it is a rebroadcast of sorts.  Of course, it has the potential use as a baby monitor as well but keep in mind the listening audience can be much wider if you have other conversations going on where the baby is.  And, of course, you should use a clear channel.  Think about it.  Betcha you could find some novel uses as well.

pixelphoto

• OCH Friend
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 09:12:25 PM »

Plant rose bushes in front of your windows to deter bad guys. All those thorns hurt and the pretty roses look nice its a natural way to keep away the possible burglars.

Elderberries are a bushy plant that create a nice windbreak and good visual block and great berries for jams and jellies.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 04:12:52 PM »

One way to keep the gasoline in your car's unprotected gas tank safe from siphoning by thieves, park VERY close to a building, light post or fence. You might even arrange with a friend at work to park your vehicles with the gas inlets blocked my each other's vehicle. Locking gas caps often don't lock properly, or thieves will break the pop-open latch, ruining your paint and the latch itself.

Anytime you need to know if someone has been in a certain area, (providing it isn't raining) sprinkle either flour or powder on the ground or walkway. While it may not tell you WHO it was, you can usually tell that someone has been there, often capturing their shoe print.

:giggle

mistylady

• OCH Friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 08:58:03 PM »

Great tips! 

The locking gas caps - I lost the key to one and the man at the gas station took a screwdriver and popped it right open.  I was shocked. 

On depression  - I just read an article about Co Q 10 helping.  I bought some last week.  So far I feel better.  I hope it works.   :clap
"Adventure is the result of poor preparation" -- Mark Twain

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 05:35:48 PM »

Go figure - I occasionally post things on Freecycle for giveaway.  Today I posted two gas lawn mowers for parts.  Got a response within an hour.  Responder was an acquaintance and former high school classmate of mine who I interviewed a few months back.  He and I enlisted right after high school.  He went to the Army and I went to the Air Force.  Neither of us made it to Viet Nam (both 17 years old).  When we interviewed a few months back, we talked about off grid living and solar stuff in particular.  He inherited his dad's farm and is planning to upgrade it to a retreat.  Seems he scored some solar hot water heater panels for giveaway from a local aluminum plant.  I was jealous.  Back to the present:  he will cannibalize parts from the mowers to build workable ones that he gives to folks who can't afford them.  So my parts go to help others.  Great.  And........he said he'd give me one of the solar hot water heater panels to experiment around with.  Great guy to know as he has skills that will be very handy if times were to get bad.  All these good things happening because I wanted to recycle stuff instead of putting it in the landfill.  Go figure...... :)

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 06:07:06 PM »

:clap Now THAT's what I call the REAL 'American Way'. :smiflag

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »

Cup Soap - I decided to try using cup soap for shaving.  Been a couple decades since I last used it.  An interesting observation:  I was able to use the same disposable razor for the entire last month.  Seems the less soap I use (just enough to cover the area to be shaved) for some reason cuts down on dulling the razor.  Of course, it could be regular shaving cream is the culprit as I used my daughter's glycerine soap at first and then cup soap from the store.  Didn't think to sharpen the razor on the mirror.  Might try that this month to see what happens. 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 02:57:59 PM »

Cyalume Sticks - Right now (the day following Halloween) local box stores are selling Halloween stuff at half price.  I just bought some cyalume sticks at 74 cents each at our local K-mart.  These sticks are good for evacuations.  Attach an activated cyalume stick to the antenna of each vehicle in your particular bug-out convoy so each vehicle knows where the others are when traveling at night.  It will cut down on radio use thereby preserving batteries.  If for some reason your radios are unusable due to battery problems or heavy comm traffic, you still have some visual method to keep track of each other.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 12:09:54 AM »

That is simple yet brilliant, Dan. :ty2

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 11:18:54 AM »

Hot Water Heater Timer - We live in an all-electric house so I do my best to reduce electricity use as much as possible while maintaining a reasonable quality of life.  One way I have reduced usage is to use a timer for our hot water heater.  It would have cost too much to install an on-demand heater as I would have had to put in new wiring/service.  There is no real reason to heat water during times of the day when it is not needed so I have set the timer for "on-time" from 4:00 to 8:00 a.m. and from 4:00 to 10:00 p.m.  There is option to turn it on during off hours but I have to go into the crawl space under our house to do so and I therefore don't do that very often.  All that said, the windows of opportunity for hot water provide for some comic relief when you have late sleeping "hot-water-hog" visitors over for the holidays.   Heh, heh, heh

pixelphoto

• OCH Friend
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »

Our family has done the hot water heater timer for about 30 years now. We have it come on about 3-4 hours a day and it has enough water for dishes and three people to take a shower.
Not to mention it saves money on the electric bill but it also prolongs the life of the hot water heater.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »

Razor longevity revisited - I've extended my disposable razor life even more.  I finally did a search on extending razor life recently.  Two things seemed to extend razor life in most articles I read:  a hot soapy water to prepare the beard and drying the razor after shaving.  I already knew the hot soapy water thing and I had read, but not paid enough attention to, advice about drying the razor.  So, this past month I have dried the moisture off the blades with a towel each time after shaving.  Still a good edge and I have not found it necessary to resharpen using the mirror.  So my suggestion is simply to dry off the blades after you shave.  If you use disposables, you won't use them up so fast.  I'm sure they cost more than when I bought mine early last year or so.  You can use the spare change you save to buy something really important like chocolate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 |   Go Up