Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Solar HEAT GRABBERS  (Read 12598 times)

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Solar HEAT GRABBERS
« on: October 02, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »

Solar HEAT GRABBERS

Lower your heating bills and provide auxillary heat FREE once you've made this simple HEAT GRABBER. :clap

Here's what it looks like....

If you have some south-facing windows, (North-facing if you are in the Southern Hemisphere), you might want to consider some free solar heat. Don't expect this to eliminate all heating costs but it will reduce your expenses. The more windows you can place one of these solar heaters in the greater the reduction in your heating costs.

The main components of this solar heater design are sheets of heavy-duty foam insulation, one or more sheets of window glass, a tube of silicone (bathtub caulk), a box or two of aluminum foil, and a roll of duct tape. Exact sizes and angles to cut will vary, depending on the height of your window from the ground, it's width, and the winter sun angle at your latitude.

The Heat Grabber can be as simple as painting the sun side of the thin foam panel flat black, or for a more efficient collector use a sheet of very thin aluminum. Paint the aluminum sheet(s) flat black on both sides then mount it inch from the surface of the foam sheet using a couple of dozen inch cubes cut from foam and cemented down with silicone. This allows the air to pass by both sides of the solar heated aluminum, greatly increasing the efficiency.

Cover all inside foam surfaces with aluminum foil and glue it down with silicone. Paint or otherwise cover ALL external foam surfaces. Foam will decompose if unprotected in direct sunlight.

Be sure and seal the glass top and all other exposed seams with silicone or caulk to keep it all watertight. Keep moisture out of the interior.

Use silicone to glue the sides to the bottom panel and end cap. Duct tape can be used to hold everything in place while the silicone sets up, if applied along all edges the duct tape can be left in place to add strength. You may want to consider pushing a few nails through the side panels and into the thinner inner foam panel to hold it in place as the silicone sets up.

Cut two foam covers to close the hot and cold air ducts at night. Duct tape makes pretty good hinges and clasps for these covers. If you live in a windy area you may want to drive two stakes in the ground and attach them at each side of the lower end of the solar heater to prevent wind lift. Remember to keep the glass clean for maximum heat.

The above is presented for general information and design ideas. There are many ways to create similar types of SOLAR HEAT GRABBERS for a variety of applications.

CL here... making these to sell is a good potential moneymaker too. :clap

"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
Re: Solar HEAT GRABBERS
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 03:57:26 PM »

Thanks so much for this I am going to give DH this link! This would be perfect for the chicken coop and workshop! Thanks :love
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

pixelphoto

• OCH Friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »

Looks like a cool thing Ive seen things like this for sell around 1500 dollars u.s.
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 08:36:54 PM »

:coolsmiley: .....1500 dollars~! :grr
You can make them for next to nothing~!
I am thinking of making a portable one out of PIZZA BOXES~! :giggle
SERIOUSLY~! :)

pixelphoto

• OCH Friend
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 08:51:27 PM »

LOL CL this is a link to the same thing you are making. Although bit fancier than a pizza box LOL :) It does come with blowers and a wall mounted controller that blows the hot air it created into the room like a thermostat.

http://yoursolarhome.com/solarsheat1500GS.html

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 12:23:51 AM »

Here's a HEAT GRABBER in use...

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 11:53:03 PM »

Its time to start DOING SOMETHING about the high cost of heating.

If you are not able to make one yourself, talk this over with the menfolk in your family. This cost very little to build and provides a lot of FREE HEAT.

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 08:32:57 AM »

Just a note to add to this, while we did not need these for our home last year, we did add one to the chicken coop It Worked Great!  :clap
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

gerizim7

• OCH Friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 08:58:40 PM »

:clap Thanks for this!

DD and I both have mobile homes so I'm going to have the kids help me make some for both places! 

beckie

• OCH Friend
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:30:55 PM »

CL, you made me do it.  I finally unpacked some of my ME news to find the article on heat grabbers :)

I told DH, I wanted to try this and he said he needed "plans", so I got him "plans" :LOL

Looks like those years of ME news I lugged all over the country are finally getting put to use ! !

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 04:45:05 PM »

Congratulations Beckie. You'll enjoy the free heat on sunny days.

Moriah

• OCH Family
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »

Does this idea only work on windows with southern exposure?  I know it would be ideal for those but is it worthwhile to try it on other exposures?  I have no south facing windows. 

Alice

• ~
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »

So... is this something that requires the window to be open?  Pics aren't clear on that. :/

Note from CL....
The window would have to be open a few inches at the bottom, where the intake/output is located. The intake/output goes all the way across the window, and the window is closed down onto it. You'd put a towel or foam in the space created at the top of the bottom window, against the window pane of the top window. If that's clear. :giggle We'll draw some pictures next time we get together. :clap
The simple life requires back-breaking work.

Lynques

• OCH Friend
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »

I posted this in the Cold Thread, and thought I would do well to post it here too.

This works well in the daytime.  Replace your south window curtains with black plastic, about 3 mils.  just hang them on the curtain rods, but have the plastic only cover most of the window.  The bottom 1-2 inches of window needs to be bare of the plastic.  What happens is the sun heats up the plastic, cool or cold air is "pulled" up through the plastic and window and comes out the top warmed. Be sure you hang it off the curtain rod, don't put the plastic flush with the window, that won't work at all. It has to have a gap all around the plastic, with just the bottom inch or two of window showing.

I got this tip from "Sunshine to Dollars"
http://www.knowledgepublications.com/solar/sunshine_to_dollars_solar_energy_for_free_and_cheap_knowledgepublications.com.htm

It is a great little book and has loads of ideas like this 25 cent
Solar Energy Heater that works.

Also, and this is for emergencies only, people in arctic climes would sleep in a tent within a tent.  In other words, a big tent with a smaller tent within it.  What they would do is light a candle inside the smaller tent, cuddle up with blankets until the candle warmed up the inside of the smaller tent, and then throw off the covers later.  You do have to secure the candle base,and the small tent must be higher than a pup tent, of course.

Lynques

beth256

• OCH Friend
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 08:54:18 PM »

The "Sunshine to Dollars" book looks very interesting. Thanks for the link.

pixelphoto

• OCH Friend
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »

Lynques have you actually paid and downloaded the book?
What are your thoughts on it?
Is it worth the money?
Are there enough things the average person can do that will really save money?
Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Thanks Mike :)

Magispook

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »

I purchased it in the book form about a year ago.  There is a companion book printed on the reverse of the book about making do during a power outage.  My brother has it now.  There a few hints and tricks in there that would make it worth the purchase although some are not as practical as they seem on the surface.  For example, a passive solar hot water heater made from using plastic sheeting inside a form made of boards and a window glass to top it off.  Yep, it does heat water but how do you get the water from the heater to the place you plan to use the hot water and how do you get water into the heater to be heated?  Super cheap solar window heater:  hang black plastic garbage bag or thicker black plastic on the south-facing window curtain rod leaving a space at the bottom and top (thermosyphoning principle)--as mentioned in previous post by Lynques.  Power during an electrical outage:  hook up an inverter to your car with engine running and run the line inside to your device to be powered (I don't like that one at all).  Source for free glass:  go to the local glass shop/window installer and ask for discards from the jobs they do.  Same technique for free solar panels:  ask for them from the maintenance guys where they are used.  Practical and frugal solutions in one place written by an engineer.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Lynques

• OCH Friend
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 08:15:43 PM »

I bought the hard copy.  And yes, I think it was well worth the price, easy, hands down.  As Magicspook says, some ideas aren't so practical when all thought out, but then, just try to figure out how it could be applicable.  When I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago, I used it so much I had to buy another 4 years later, and the first one was so dog-eared and smudged, lol.  I also bought the Black out of "03" and now see they are offered together.  Darn it.  This guy not only teaches this stuff, he lives it.  Explore the website.  Right now the free stuff is off line while they update, but it will be back. 

Lynques

pixelphoto

• OCH Friend
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 10:41:12 PM »

Heres some more UPDATED INFO.........

Heres a link to a solar heat grabber this guy made its a youtube video and the second link is to a website on how to build it.
Save your old cans and recycle them to make this pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=173owKST-w4&eurl=http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=12603

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/04/26/almost-free-garage-heat-just-drink-a-lot-of-soda/

Maeve

• like the perfect chord at imperfect times
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »

I *think* this is somewhat what my Dad is doing for our home heating.  Only he is combining this method with a serpentine layout of pex al-pex tubing filled with water.  The solar energy against the black/aluminum heats the water in the tubes which will then go into a huge insulated collection tank - from that tank there will be zones of that pex tubing through which the heated water will be pumped (current design on pumps will be powered by electric company, but further design changes will incorporate other energies)

He figures that this method will heat our 1400sqft house (that's the top bit, double that if you count the basement, but that's not really gonna get heated)

He is ripping off the old aluminum siding to use for this project.

Pappy is 'Super Scrounge'  :)
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up