Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezerville 6  (Read 6007 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Geezerville 6
« on: September 14, 2006, 04:15:34 PM »

Joined at the Hip - Today I interviewed a "geriatric couple."  Although I felt uncomfortable about doing the interview standing up and outside, experience has taught me that such folks won't let you leave once they determine you're actually listening and interested in what they have to say.  By remaining standing, I can sometimes "wear them down" to the degree they will shorten the discussion which is good for me since I have lots of other folks to talk to in a day.  They have been married sixty-five years.  SIXTY-FIVE YEARS!  They finish each other's sentences (which is maddening to an interviewer) and talk to each other during conversation to verify information they just provided.  The Mrs. did the majority of the talking.  She caught the Mr. in a mistake, and jumped in to interrupt and correct.  Realizing she was right, he stepped aside and behind, acknowledged her as the expert on the question at hand, and gave her bunny ears and silently mocked her (smiling, of course throughout).  I'm sure she realized it but felt it wasn't worth interrupting her current discourse.  When they noted they had been married SIXTY-FIVE years, they looked into each other's eyes.  I know that look.  Deeply in love.  They still had the hots for each other after SIXTY-FIVE years.  There are different phases and kinds of love over the lifetime of a couple.  They are joined at the hip and know one another probably better than they know themselves.  I suspect when one of them passes away, the other will pine away soon thereafter.  And they had to tell me how they met.  They set me up I'm sure with a well-rehearsed tale of how it happened told thousands of times.  Each executed their lines well and I'm sure they enjoy telling it and obviously never tire of telling it.  She grew up in Chicago, IL.  He grew up here in WV.  They met when he was in the Army at the beginning of WWII and in Chicago.  They met at her father's bakery where she worked.  Are you ready for this?..............Quote from the Mister:  "I married her for the dough!"  Laughter and that look at her old man from the Mrs.  So there may be hope for us old farts after all, eh?
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

mrsakraven

• OCH Veteran
Re: Geezerville 6
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 04:46:45 PM »

That's very sweet. Thanks for sharing that story.

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »

They sound cute Magispcook.  Sixty-five years...amazing!!!

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »

Years Fly By - Got an email yesterday from a friend and former co-worker when we lived in Germany sixteen years ago.  He noted his son will be 16 in a couple weeks.  I noted we celebrated my daughter's 13th birthday a couple days ago.  I can still remember the day the social worker handed her to me (the day she was placed with us for adoption).  I was a new father at age 39.  As she was placed in my arms, pure panic ensued inside me which went un-noticed to all others.  It was not the panic of how to hold the baby.  I took care of my brother when he was a baby.  I could do the mechanical stuff.  The panic was the realization that I had a responsibility to her for the rest of my life--different responsibility than to my wife for the rest of my life, but a lifetime responsibility nevertheless.  I wonder if younger fathers nowadays feel that panic.  The day my friend's son was born, I was helping with the birthing process.  I attended the Lamaz (spelling?) classes with his wife during his work related absences and helped other mothers-to-be while their husbands were deployed to Desert Storm.  I can still recall the look on her face thinking she had broken my hand as I looked at her in concern because of the strength of the squeeze.  I remember his son's first cries and reminded my friend of that.  So now he's feeling old too even though he's younger than me.   :giggle Now my daughter will transition me to a different type of protector.  She's a beautiful girl and boys will be a problem for me.  Fortunately, my gray beard and hair lends me an aura of authority.  As long as she hangs around non-rebels, I will have it somewhat easy.  If I encounter rebellious ones, well, this old man has a few tricks up his sleeve still yet.  How's that old saying about old age and treachery beating out youth go?   :)

Magpie

• OCH Friend
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 12:08:41 AM »

Well if the grey hair and treachery don't work... you can always go my father's route.

Da is VERY into the Civil War, so much so he had some local craftsmen make him a large brass - firing capable - cannon.

My first date? The poor guy was met at the end of the drive with my father sitting outside polishing it, pointed at the lad's car. Add in the retired marine status, and a hitch in the FBI, da usually explained how A) I was his only girl. B) I was his baby girl. C) The Marines teach you tons of interesting ways to kill people. and D) The many reasons why the police hand over looking for bodies to... you guessed it, the FBI.

4 years of dating, I usually got dropped at the doorstep with handshakes.

Da's.... ya gotta love 'em. When you're not wanting to strangle them!

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 12:27:30 PM »

Couth - Geez, I must be getting old.  Was waiting to interview the doctor at a psychiatrist's office.  There was a cleancut young lady there oblivious to the fact her cell phone conversation could be heard (she talked a bit loud) by everyone in the room.  She was telling her friend on the phone that a hot young guy she had been after sexually for the past year had finally texted her yesterday and she would be following up.  Oh, and the news she called her friend about:  she recently had both her nipples pierced, vertically rather than horizontally.  Must be I'm old but I just can't see talking about such things in the open among strangers.  Yep, she was at the shrink's office but I believe she was waiting for someone. 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 05:09:39 PM »

Had to go do a review at the same psychiatrist's office today as I did in the post above.  As I was leaving, I saw a guy around 55 trying to convince his mother, who appeared to be an Alzheimer's patient, to go in to see the doc.  Trying is not the correct word.  Pleading is more appropriate.  Wheedling with a promise of a reward followed.  He prevailed after about five minutes.  Who knows what it took to get her in the car.  Is this what I have to look forward to? 

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 06:43:13 PM »

Her son wasn't very clever. She'd have gone to the doctor with a youthful spring in her step if he had only asked her to TAKE HIM to the doctor. I doubt even Alzheimer's Disease can erode THAT kind of Motherly Instinct. :giggle

Ever tried to 'catch' a goat? You'll never get your hand on them in you go to CATCH them, but if you try to HIDE something that might be food from them, and they will climb fences to get to you. I always rattle a few stones in a tin can and walk away from them and they follow me. :lol That's the same idea. :clap
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 09:41:32 AM »

Time, the Great Equalizer - Took my niece to the airport day before yesterday to put her on the plane to visit her father for the holidays.  We had some minutes to wait.  I saw a former classmate in the waiting area who was also waiting to board the flight.  I sat beside her in high school home room for four years thirty plus years ago.  Back in those days, she was intelligent, attractive, and popular.  She had the advantage of an upper middle class station in life.  She was destined to marry money and enjoy all the advantages that entails.  She did.  I havenít talked to her since graduation and did not really have the opportunity to do so this time either.  It was easy to identify her.  She was fashionably dressed, coiffed, and displayed mannerisms from that previous era still yet.   She does live in the town I live in now and apparently did not leave the state like most of my generation.  I respect her for that.  Of course, with money there is little need to travel where opportunity is.  What struck me about this sighting was she appeared to be tired and just going through the motions of living.  There was simply no vitality.  Granted, she may have just been tired.  We had to leave at 4:00 a.m. to get to the airport a couple hours away so I suspect she had to as well.  She must have driven up there herself.  There was no one to see her off.  Perhaps she was traveling south to visit her son and/or grandkids.  But I sensed a vast void nevertheless.  Interesting....I grew up under the working poor situation and had to chart my life course with that as my starting point while she had advantages all along her path.  Yet, she looked like I feel at times.  Time, it seems, has a way of bringing us all, regardless of our socio-economic condition, to the same point eventually. 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »

Which One? - I was talking to a couple a wee bit older than me and the topic of military service came up.  I noted I enlisted during the tail end of the war.  They asked "which one?"  "Well, Viet Nam of course"-- I thought it was obvious but didn't verbalize anything but VN.  Driving down the road after the conversation it hit me.  We (U.S.) have been involved three hot wars and one cold war plus a few invasions of other countries during my half century on the planet.  Did my part during two of 'em.  Am and have been on the sidelines in anger over the present one even before day one knowing there is absolutely nothing I can/could do about it.  How sad we humans feel it necessary to kill each other. 

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »

This response is regarding the story below it...
As for time being the great equalizer, DH & I have both worked in Nursing Homes in times past, and have experienced watching the elderly get even older. Some of our patients were famous, if only locally as political figures, ministers, and radio personalities, while others were obscure worker bees or other plain janes and john doe types. Without a few photographs from their prime years, its hard to know which was which. I've reached the age and stage where my past accomplishments don't often count, because they happened so long ago. Yes... TIME RULEs.  Almost all babies and almost all old folks look generaly the same.

The point of my comment is to encourage those who are in their prime to cherish that period of their life...use it to make themselves proud of their works and to create memories that THEY will enjoy remembering when TIME takes its toll. However, this is not to say that 'old age' isn't also a time to enjoy. Its a great time to reflect on the prime of our life, and share what we CAN still give with others. OCH is a wonderful place to keep giving and to share our accumlated wisdom. :rosie

Time, the Great Equalizer - Took my niece to the airport day before yesterday to put her on the plane to visit her father for the holidays.  We had some minutes to wait.  I saw a former classmate in the waiting area who was also waiting to board the flight.  I sat beside her in high school home room for four years thirty plus years ago.  Back in those days, she was intelligent, attractive, and popular.  She had the advantage of an upper middle class station in life.  She was destined to marry money and enjoy all the advantages that entails.  She did.  I haven’t talked to her since graduation and did not really have the opportunity to do so this time either.  It was easy to identify her.  She was fashionably dressed, coiffed, and displayed mannerisms from that previous era still yet.   She does live in the town I live in now and apparently did not leave the state like most of my generation.  I respect her for that.  Of course, with money there is little need to travel where opportunity is.  What struck me about this sighting was she appeared to be tired and just going through the motions of living.  There was simply no vitality.  Granted, she may have just been tired.  We had to leave at 4:00 a.m. to get to the airport a couple hours away so I suspect she had to as well.  She must have driven up there herself.  There was no one to see her off.  Perhaps she was traveling south to visit her son and/or grandkids.  But I sensed a vast void nevertheless.  Interesting....I grew up under the working poor situation and had to chart my life course with that as my starting point while she had advantages all along her path.  Yet, she looked like I feel at times.  Time, it seems, has a way of bringing us all, regardless of our socio-economic condition, to the same point eventually. 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:23:48 PM »

Boomer Music - Watched a PBS special with lots of 60's music.  The tunes really took me back.  Great listening even though I love my bluegrass just as well.  Looking at the images and listening to the actual words of the songs, it isn't hard to tell that period was a time of great turmoil.  Seems like we're going through a lot of similar turmoil now such as an unpopular war, shortages, nuclear threat, times of uncertainty.  No matter how doomerish one is, you have to admit we lived through the turmoil regardless and, gasp, most somehow thrived despite it all.  Deja-vu all over again?  Peace, man.......

simplyme2u

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »

I once worked for a very political and well to do man
the diamonds and suits that man wore

as he aged...he became frail and afflicted with Alzheimer's

his family put him in a nursing home

any one visiting the nursing home wouldn't have recognized him
in his baggy pants and stained shirt

and when he died they hurriedly and quietly buried him
so many folks of the town were shocked that they did not give a few days notice
so that proper visitation could take place

but then.. the truth may have come out

his family did not want to spend the money or had already spent it

his family had made him penniless

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »

Moonwalk - Turned 53 a few days ago and did some reflecting on my life situation.  That's a dangerous thing to do.  Back when I was a kid, I thought if I made it to my fifties, I would have traveled to the moon as a tourist by this year.  Doesn't look like I will ever get to do that in this life.  I have done some of the things I wanted to do when I grew up.  However, lots of other wishful things were not attainable due to my path or circumstances not under my control.  So I take comfort in the small when-I-grow-up wishes that I was able to influence such as never, ever eating liver and onions again!

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 04:52:36 PM »

I'd have loved to eat your liver and onions. :hungry

Funny how that works... :giggle

simplyme2u

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »

hey...
I once heard my kids say

they'd never eat liver and onions

now.. when I cook liver , onions and sausage....there's never enuf with those 3 at the table

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »

Does anyone else recall the ice cream guy selling ice cream in your neighborhood from a bicycle with an icebox attached?  I was very young but do recall such a thing, I think.   ::D

simplyme2u

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »

we had a little ice cream truck thingy
could hear that music and everyone ran to their house for a nickel or dime to buy a treat
Pages: [1] |   Go Up