Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 12  (Read 4271 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Ponderings 12
« on: July 26, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

A lightning bug hit my windshield with a sudden unexpected splat last night.  The glow part of it fragmented, glowed for a few seconds, then faded away.  Reminds me of humankind.  We die, the sharp memory of us glows brightly immediately afterwards, then slowly fades away, the sharpness of the memory getting dimmer and dimmer as time goes by.  Then, it's gone.  A check on the windshield shows what's left of the body even after a few days if the windshield hasn't been washed--kinda like archeology in fast mode.  Anyway, that's the conclusion I drew.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Ponderings 12
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 03:03:54 AM »

But there are other lightning bugs that we get glimpses of, who provide reminders of that spark that all lightning bugs share. It is up to us to connect with the brilliance in all of us. We truly are ONE. :smrose

Actually I was thinking about you earlier today, Magispook. I was listening to a 15 second sound bite of a banjo (Marching Jaybird) on a website, and that music brought back the photos you shared years ago of you playing your banjo. We never know when we are in the thoughts of others. :smihearts

Be ready to listen when you click => this link~!
The main site is http://yonderhollow.com for lots of old-timey music, art, antiques, and more.

:)
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 07:22:56 AM »

Great--I haven't heard that tune.  Thanks for the link and expanding on the lightning bug thought.   :)

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 08:49:17 AM »

Human - I interviewed a woman a few days ago who was a child in Britain during WWII.  Behind her row of houses was a field that was used to grow wheat one year, "beet-root" the following year, other veggies the next year, etc.  The bounty of the field went to the local folks and, I suspect, to the German prisoners of war who worked the land.  Her mother, like most parents, forbade her and the other children from going down to the fence to watch the prisoners work so, of course, they sneaked down there as often as possible.  The German prisoners loved to see the children.  Looking from an adult perspective, she now believes they had children of their own and worried about their well-being in Germany.  One prisoner showed her a wooden toy he had carved.  She said it looked like a wooden paddle with strings and weights.  When the weight was activated, four carved chickens would appear to be pecking around on the top of the board.  She said she had hoped he would give it to them but he probably was going to send it home to his kids.  You could tell she had fond memories of those prisoners, despite the propaganda the government put out about "the enemy."  She saw what I as a career military man already know......that common soldiers are people too.  They have a job to do and are caught up in the war as mere pawns of politicians.  That's why I refuse to categorize folks and dislike labels.  Labels are subjective and provide excuse (poor rationalization as I see it) to deny or refuse to acknowledge another's membership in the human race.  I have been trained in tactical interrogation of prisoners.  It's not a nice job to do.  Thinking back on those German POWs, I believe I can put myself in their place  a wee bit.  Could I still interrogate after all these years and modifying my belief system to a more universal acknowledgment of one's humanity?  Yes, as a soldier, I will do what I must.  But I wouldn't like it a bit and would feel guilty the rest of my days.  Can't really tie this up paragraph-wise.  Her tale just struck me that those poor slobs were not the monsters propaganda said they were and they found out the Brits were not the monsters German propaganda said they were.  Those POWs were simply caught in the circumstances of the politics of the time.  Key point:  they did survive and did enjoy that which they had been provided:  the company, albeit across a fence, of children.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 12:05:18 PM »

You always bring us 'food for thought'.

Thanks, Magispook... for being YOU. :smrose

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 09:47:11 PM »

Attaboy - Wore my USAF Retired hat today (Veterans Day) to Sam's Club.  One of the 20ish floor workers today thanked me for my service.  It was heartfelt and obviously not store generated.  It was the only one this year but refreshing nevertheless.   Quite a change for us Viet Nam era vets although I served during Desert Storm as well.   :)

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 10:10:27 PM »

In a town close to us there was a German POW camp.  Yep, right here in the upper midwest!  Some of the prisoners even came to our little town to dig in sewer lines etc.  Everyone thought they were nice men and some have even returned to Algona, Iowa at times throughout the years.  Here's a page with lots of information about it.  Look to the left and click on the nativity scene.  It's quite a deal.  http://pwcamp.algona.org/

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 04:58:49 PM »

He's Baaaack - Every year, just prior to the open of rifle deer hunting season, a guy puts a camper at the same spot on his land near the interstate.  I look for it every year and it always appears in the same location.  Didn't see it until this afternoon.  He located it about fifty yards west of his usual spot.  Whew, I was gettin' worried.  Don't know the guy but the fact he is back means life has not changed in a major way.  Some things continue the same and I'm happy about that.

tomiearl

• OCH Angel
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:39:28 PM »

Glad your guy is back. Hoping both of you luck in your hunting.  Maybe it is time for you to introduce yourself.

tomi
I'm Gonna Dance, Don't Look for a Clean House!!

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 01:15:36 PM »

Dreaded Day Arrived - Had to euthanize my four-legged son today.  Daughter knows, saw him.  Wife is traveling this direction from Dark City and was told.  Good thing her mom is with her.  Niece who lives with us is visiting her father and doesn't know.  He was fourteen years old and even served his country.  He'll be missed.  It's a hard thing to deal with. 

fraulibra

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

I'm so sorry, Magispook.  That is hard indeed.  Condolences to all of your household.
He who sings scares away his woes.  ~Cervantes

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »

Thanks.   :cry

PatS in CA

• OCH Family
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 05:28:30 PM »

I'm sorry for your loss.  Even when it is the kindest and most loving thing to do, it is still very hard.

Pat

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 02:06:52 AM »

I'm so sorry your 4-legged son is gone. Its a difficult thing to do, but wise at the right time. I would hope that someone loved me this much when my time draws near. :hug
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

:smihearts

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 12:25:48 PM »

I'm so sorry you have lost your beloved pet and companion. Our pets do come to be just like children to us that choose to let then into our hearts. I will be thinking of you and your family. :hug
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976
Pages: [1] |   Go Up