Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Kid Repellent  (Read 3900 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Kid Repellent
« on: June 14, 2006, 08:37:11 PM »

NPR just did a segment today on the high frequency tone only kids can hear because older folks lose the ability to hear those tones as they age.  Some guy in Britain plays it on a loudspeaker to keep the kids from hanging out and causing problems at his business establishment (crime has gone way down and older folks feel comfortable coming to his store).  Works like a charm, he says.  Kids are now downloading the tone as a ring tone because it goes undetected by adults.  They can get calls at school in class because the teacher cannot hear it.  NPR offers an MP3 download of the tone.  I downloaded it.  My high frequency hearing was always pretty good and if I put my ear near the speakers I can barely hear it.  My girls, aged 12 and 14, however, ran from the room with their hands over their ears saying "make it stop, make it stop!  This kid repellent really works. Hopefully, the below link will get you to the download.  Otherwise go to npr.org and look for the article.  Try it on your own young'uns or those pesky kids who you want to be shed of for a quick break.   :giggle
http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/atc/atc_teenbuzz.mp3
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

SunnySharon

Re: Kid Repellent
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:01:10 PM »

I couldn't hear a thing!!!!

TOO funny! 

candh

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »

My 12 yo begged me to stop after a few times! I couldn't hear a thing. Thanks for the new and interesting torture device. Maybe someone could make an alarm clock that sounds like that?

Becca Anne

• OCH Family
  • My family!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 02:45:18 AM »

Well I can still hear it, but not too well. I bet my kids can though! Guess I am not old enough yet LOL.

Married to Lane since 1990
Cassie 21, Max 18, Jake 15, Nick 11 and Benjamin Isaac 2

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:29:05 PM »

This one was too much temptation to resist...    :giggle

Downloaded it and both DH and I must be still be young at heart (and still of good hearing) because we both winced and went OOOWWWWWWWW when it played.
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

Shelly

• OCH Family
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 10:40:14 PM »

I remember when this was shown on TV.  I didn't hear a thing, but my dogs went nuts!  Running around, looking out windows, barking. . . .it was wild!
Pages: [1] |   Go Up