Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 11  (Read 3540 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Ponderings 11
« on: May 14, 2006, 12:29:09 PM »

Sniff - Iím in a great deal of pain as I write this.  My innards seem to be the focus of a pair of dueling internal vises.  I believe it is the result of something I ate yesterday.  Although it hurts, it serves to reinforce a conclusion I came to sometime last week.  About a year ago, I almost died.  If it hadnít been for the team of docs and medics at the VA hospital diligently working on my mysterious disease, I would not be writing this.  I would be gone, finis, all done, ďthe big dirt napĒ as some call it.  My family would have had to adjust.  No income other than what the government may provide.  I donít count on the government for anything when planning our finances.  No dad for the girls.  No team partner for my wife (we team parent).  My role is to be the breadwinner.  Bring the food to put on the table.  Iím also responsible for safety and securityĖa responsibility I take very seriously evidenced by prepping.  Not too long from now, boys will come aícalliní on my girls.  Iíll be sitting on the porch cleaning my shotgun.  I kid you not.  I will be doing that.  My goal is to scare the crap out of those boys so the girls will be treated rightĖitís part of my job.  Iím a true Appalachian to be sure.  Other than that, I donít contribute much in the scheme of things compared to a mom.  So what if we were to lose her.  Talk about the end of the world as we know it.  The girls and I would be lost.  My wife takes the food I provide and turns it into nutritious and tasty energy.  She looks after the emotional well-being of the kids more than me.  She teaches the girls to be lady-like and how to function in the woman world.  She is there for the girls to talk with.  Iím there for solutionsĖitís a man thing.  But Iíve found the female sex needs to ďtalk.Ē  Iím a novice in that arena.  We have just the girls under our charge but if a mom has sons, she also serves as a safeguard to protect her boys from the well-meaning but sometimes untimely and seemingly crude efforts of the boysí father to prepare them to live as men in the manís portion of the world.  If the boy skins his knee, dad will tell him to suck it up and that crying shows an exploitable weakness.  Heís right of course, but if the boy is not at the level of maturity to understand and act upon the advice, the kid perceives cruelty of adults instead.  Mom steps in and soothes the wound with expert medical treatment and just the right words and hugs.  My wife has stayed home from American church this morning concerned about my untimely pain (yeah, Iím a big wus), to stay in bed so my daughter can serve her breakfast, and do other mommy things as well.  I know she really wanted to go to church today because part of the service will most assuredly be recognition of mothers.  She eats that up.  I know she does.  My daughter was placed with us (for adoption) a week before Fatherís Day.  So, at the church service on that Fatherís Day, all the dads were asked to stand up and be recognized.  I dutifully stood up at the proud urging of my wife and good friend for the honor.  Weíve been married thirty years this month.  I know how she thinks (at least, to some degree).  She talks about that service each Motherís Day.  She really would like to goĖto enjoy that recognition and to reflect on her own motherís sacrifices.  Instead, she is playing with my daughter doing something she is totally unmotivated to do (theyíre shooting targets with a blowgun).  Sheís doing mommy stuff.  Of course, my wife will get her recognition when she goes to Korean church this afternoon.  Someone will get up and speak about the virtues of motherhood more eloquently than I could ever hope to do.  Mothers do so much and, Iím here to tell you, you miss them when theyíre gone.  We lost my mom to diabetes and heart disease decades ago.  I miss her so very much still yet.  Now that Iím a parent, I realize the sacrifices made.  Gee, I wish they had gone to church so I could be alone.  I must shed a few tears.  Sniff......  :cry
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

RiJoRi

• OCH Friend
Re: Ponderings 11
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 02:09:33 PM »

>> Not too long from now, boys will come aícalliní on my girls.  Iíll be sitting on the porch cleaning my shotgun.

... and the boys will forget the girls and start talking to you about guns!  :giggle

--Rich
(Hope you feel better!)

"Everything is contingent on YOU being responsible for yourselves!"

"Most people won't be motivated to do something until it's largely too late to do anything."

cassBme

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 05:57:08 PM »

OMGosh! It just occured to me that the first time Dad met my future hubby, he was doing something with one of his guns in the living room ROTFL, I didn't think anything about it at the time!!! Then he started pulling out photos of me when I was younger, so embarassing! Then they got started on "hunting talk" and I believe that was when Dad decided he really liked this guy.

Happy Anniversary to Magispook and his dear wife! And I sure hope you're feeling better now.

DH and I will celebrate 30 years in Sept.

Kay

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 06:03:46 PM »

Here's hoping you're feeling much better by now, buddy. Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. Quondo omni flunkus moritatus ("When all else fails, play dead.") And I like your gun-cleanin plan.  :knuppel2: As the Duke said, "give 'em to know you're serious."

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »

Thanks to all.  Yep, I'm feeling better.  Could've been a 24 hour bug but I believe it was "somethin' I et."  Congrats to ya, cassBme on the longevity of your marriage--I do believe we're a minority nowadays.  Complete thread drift here but I talked with a pilot of a single engine aircraft.  He determined during our conversation that I had worked avionics on aircraft while in the Air Force.  He told me that the sole purpose of the aircraft's propeller when flying is for air conditioning.  I thought to myself that he must be wrong--surely electricity is generated using that propeller.  He then explained why:  if that propeller stops turning while you're flying, you'll start sweating!   :)

SunnySharon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 08:07:55 PM »

Magispook, I just saw this thread.  So glad you are feeling better!

Now that you are on the mend, your original post is highly entertaining!

Not too long from now, boys will come aícalliní on my girls.  Iíll be sitting on the porch cleaning my shotgun.  I kid you not.  I will be doing that.  My goal is to scare the crap out of those boys so the girls will be treated rightĖitís part of my job.

That was priceless!   :lol

I thought to myself that he must be wrong--surely electricity is generated using that propeller.  He then explained why:  if that propeller stops turning while you're flying, you'll start sweating!   

Having been married to an AT in the Navy, that is doubly hilarious!

OMGosh! It just occured to me that the first time Dad met my future hubby, he was doing something with one of his guns in the living room ROTFL, I didn't think anything about it at the time!!! Then he started pulling out photos of me when I was younger, so embarassing! Then they got started on "hunting talk" and I believe that was when Dad decided he really liked this guy.

cassBme, that's a happily ever after story if I ever heard one!

Congratulations to both of you on the 30 years!   :smrose

nana2boys

• OCH Friend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 11:58:54 PM »

your post made me laugh about the gun cleaning.   My dh would meet the boys at the door and would just stand and stare at them.  you should have heard them hemming and hawing about why they were there.   i'm married to a marine vietnam vet so i also understand about the va.  you have my heartfelt gratitude for your service to our country.

nana to tommy, jonathan, cameron (touched by an angel on Oct 16, 2002) and christian.

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 08:47:54 AM »

Your wife is lucky to have you as are your girls Magispook, and it is a wonderful testament to your family life that you  understand your wife, her feelings and truly appreciate all that she does for you and your family.  :love
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 11:56:00 AM »

Nice post Magispook, I enjoyed reading it and I'm glad you're feeling better.  DH and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary in August......amazing how the years have flown!

My nephew has 2 daughters, 9 and 7.  He's a deputy sheriff in Sacramento, CA. and swears he will meet his daughters dates at the door in uniform and gun in holster when they start dating.

It always tickles me hearing a man say those things when it comes to his daughters.  I can just picture in my mind what thoughs he must have had as a teenager and it scares the heck out of him knowing it's a completely different story when it's HIS pretty little daughters these boys are now thinking about.  :gaah

SunnySharon

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 01:05:37 PM »

you have my heartfelt gratitude for your service to our country.

Mine, too!   :smrose

and it is a wonderful testament to your family life that you  understand your wife, her feelings and truly appreciate all that she does for you and your family.

In my book, that is the greatest indicator of character in a man.  :)

It always tickles me hearing a man say those things when it comes to his daughters.  I can just picture in my mind what thoughs he must have had as a teenager and it scares the heck out of him knowing it's a completely different story when it's HIS pretty little daughters these boys are now thinking about.

Creekwoman, that is probably a spot on analysis!   :clap

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 08:14:06 AM »

Money - Money causes problems, that's for sure.  Whether you have it or you don't, it still causes problems.  My wife's B-I-L recently gave us a cash gift in appreciation for the years we've taken care of our nephew.  Well deserved, truth be told.  Disposition of the funds caused bad feelings between the wife and I though.  We agreed the bulk of the gift would go to my daughter since she was the most inconvenienced through loss of focused attention on her (only child) by us and sacrifices she had to make to accommodate his needs.  We disagreed on the balance of funds though.  I wanted to buy prep freeze dried food to round out our supplies plus do some much needed repair work on the place I call "the money pit" also known as our house.  She did not agree.  So we split the balance to use as we saw fit.  She donated half of her half to her church and bought some clothes.  I bought significantly less food and the items I reviewed in Equipment Reviews I posted in earlier in the forum.  Thirty years of marriage has taught us that we have to make compromises.  I'll continue to believe I made the right allocations and she will continue to believe she did.  We know not to bring up the other's purchases in the future.  Best to let some sleeping dogs lie.  But, this recent experience has re-enforced my belief that money causes problems.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 08:05:06 PM »

Water Country - We decided to take the kids to Water-country at Williamsburg, VA, and also Virginia Beach on the spur of the moment.  We stayed at the Air Force Famcamp near Langley AFB for two nights in our tent.  Nice place:  big tent sites, air conditioned building with showers and toilets, free local phone/internet access (limit 30 minutes), close to all the attractions - whopping $7 a night.  It gave me a chance to check out loading for a bugout.  Major stuff was loaded within 15 minutes (tent, tent innards, sleeping bags, etc.).  It took about 30 minutes, however, to get the girls bags packed (clothes, toiletries, etc.), took me about 10 minutes to gather stuff from various places.  Note we didn't use our BOBs.  Our goal was comfort.  Traffic was horrendous.  I had forgotten how bad I-95 and I-64 get traffic-wise, especially on a Friday afternoon and on Sunday afternoon going back.  Slow, oozing, parking lots is my opinion of them.  We ended up arriving at 10:15 in the evening and had to set up our cabin tent in the dark.  Experience pays off.  All but my niece knew how to do it and we had the entire camp set up in half an hour.  Water-country:  most folks forget about body image after about ten minutes 'cause they're having fun.  Nice to see that.  Most folks should seriously consider their decision to get a tattoo.  Is it something they want their kids/grandkids to see?  Those suckers fade over time and the more detailed it is the more blobbish it gets over the years.  Lots of military there, Marines especially.  Saw some gangbangers in--tats and attitude gave 'em away immediately.  I hated to give up everything but towels and sunscreen to get in but am glad they had to go through screening as well.  If there is a fight, it will only be with fists and feet.  The kids had a blast.  My daughter especially enjoyed the flowing stream called hubba hubba highway in which you simply float around the area.  I refused to get in line (some of them were long) but the girls and my wife waited their chance for a minute's worth of ride.  I promised myself when I retired from the military that I would avoid lines if at all possible and I stick to it.  Gave me a lot of time to people watch while waiting.  Lots of languages being spoken there.  I heard English, Spanish, Chinese, and Russian.  All in all, glad to be back even though that means cutting grass again.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up