Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezerville 5  (Read 2768 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Geezerville 5
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:13:36 PM »

Handshake - Part and parcel of law enforcement work is liaison with other law enforcement agencies.  It’s a smart thing to do.  Each unit has finite resources in manpower, logistics, and equipment.  But if you know someone at another agency with the resources you need, and you have established a professional/social relationship with folks in that organization, those resources just might become available to help you conduct your mission.  Force multiplication is the name for using those resources.  We used to call liaison “smoke and joke.”  The first step in “smoke and joke” is called “grip and grin.”  “Grip and grin” is that initial handshake.  A lot is read into that handshake.  Among LEOs, that means a very firm handshake with the other hand and arm neutral.  By that I mean if one places an arm on the other’s arm or shoulder, it is a sign of dominance and such just isn’t right for a “grip and grin.”  Watch politicians.  They do the dominance thing all the time.  The quality and firmness of the handshake, therefore, indicates the quality of the person shaking hands.  Or so the thought goes.  Problem is, who knows if there is a physical ailment causing a weaker than expected handshake.  I fall into that category.  I have a bone island in my right wrist.  Firing a weapon will cause me to be unable to use that hand for about three weeks.  A firm handshake is OK if there is no pushing up the arm or wild sideways skew but if any of these occur, I cannot use that hand for a day or so.  I find it best if I go limp should I detect it about to happen.  Limp handshake = weak person according to the stereotype.  So I try to find some way to let it be known ahead of time about my particular problem.  Why is this in Geezerville, you ask?  Well, I’ve discovered folks older than me find a firm handshake painful too.  Just not in a bone island sense.  Arthritic hands hurt from that well intentioned greeting.  And they hurt a long time.  I make it a point to soften my grip when I shake hands with older folks.  Betcha didn’t know about that, huh?  Just ask a real geezer– he or she will tell you.  Could be that polite smile, misting of the eyes, and slight buckling of the knees in response to your enthusiastic grip and grin could be a sign of great discomfort they feel too embarrassed to complain about.  I say a gentle handshake is still a good handshake.  Now you know, eh?
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Geezerville 5
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 12:06:33 PM »

Interesting perspectives...

For myself, a double handshake is more a symbol of added warmth, rather than dominance...almost a 'value-added' thing. Perhaps that is just within womenfolk, however my handshakes are more in the masculine category than many women's. I'm the enthusiastic type, as you know. :giggle

SO MUCH can be gleaned from a person's handshake.

"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

simpleliving

• OCH Veteran
  • Herbs
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 01:09:49 PM »

My hand shake depends upon the person, I'm shaking hands with!!  The little old fraile looking ladies, I take it really easy.  I give most men and women a good firm hand shake!!  I've learned to make sure my ring isn't turned in such a way to case major plain when given a good strong hand shake!!  :giggle
Mary Jo

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »

I can appreciate your taking it easy on the handshakes.  Shaking hands is something I never gave much thought to,  till I had my hand operated on twice last year. A firm handshake can leave my hand hurting for a long time, as I am sure it can leave others hands in pain also. I will give more thought to how firm my grip is next time I shake hands with someone, although I tend to be a hugger also. :)
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:41:48 PM »

Last of the Summer Wine - Last of the Summer Wine is one of my favorite Britcoms.  It's about three old codgers who get into trouble trying to relive their youth.  My grandpa used to call the more sedate female equivalent "the old biddies club."  While eating at a Mediterranean restaurant here in Morgantown, my wife and I had the fortune to sit beside a table of old codgers meeting for lunch.  A male old biddies club--Last of the Summer Wine.  They weren't discreet in the volume of their conversation.  Anyone who had ears could hear most of the conversation.  Old folks have that luxury.  They were talking about numerous subjects including driving down to the Strawberry Festival in a county a few counties away.  Yep, retirement suits them well.  Enough funds for the drive and plenty of time to enjoy.  Gee, I thought we guys didn't gossip.  Must be we guys are late bloomers--they were sure going to town.  And relationship advice, gee guys, I never thought I'd hear such from males but they were pumping up one of the guys who had a crush on some lady they all knew.  Giving him the benefit of their vast(?) knowledge base on how to approach, what flowers to bring, where to go on a date, sex, etc.  Geez, I guess it's great they can get together like that.  Obviously they were from different socio-economic backgrounds given dress, food orders, etc.  They got along famously.  Perhaps age is the great equalizer.  My circle of friends is very small.  My years of military service has put me behind on keeping up with my peers or even knowing where they are but I guess I will have to prepare to become an American player in Last of the Summer Wine. 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 08:21:50 PM »

AARP - Got my AARP card yesterday.  Recognition that I'm ornery enough to make it to half a century.  No one has taught me the secret handshake yet though.  :D

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 08:35:52 PM »

Recognition that I'm ornery enough to make it to half a century.

Congratulations, I remember a time when I thought 50 was ancient, now that I am almost to that mark, I find myself thinking, I'm not ancient I'm just getting going!  :lol
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

elle mae

• More Confused Than Usual
  • Moderators
  • Wife of one; mom of three; grammy of four
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 09:33:51 PM »

Magicspopk said:
"AARP - Got my AARP card yesterday.  Recognition that I'm ornery enough to make it to half a century.  No one has taught me the secret handshake yet though."   

I remember when I turned 50, as if the trauma of that in and of itself wasn't bad enough (LOL), I also got the application for my Golden Buckeye card and application for AARP all on the same day.  Talk about a triple whammy!!!   :giggle

"Down home, where they know you by name and treat you like family.  Down home, a man's good word and a handshake are all you need."     Alabama--"Down Home"

SunnySharon

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 09:36:16 PM »

Interesting thing about handshakes.  I like firm, real handshakes.  

We joined a new church a couple of weeks ago and stood in the obligatory get your hand shaken line.  One woman acted like she was afraid of germs and jerked her hand back instantly on contact.  Another guy's handshake was so limp I wondered if he were semi-conscious!

There were lots of good ones--some with hugs.

I also treat older people differently.  Shake gently and often cup the other hand around theirs for an extra measure of warmth.

I qualified for AARP 8 years ago.  Funny, since I still feel like a young adult inside--just with more patience and perspective.

Elle Mae--TOO funny!  I got hit a little more gently with it than that!   :giggle

Nature

• OCH Friend
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 05:59:42 AM »

Sunny I just turned 50 this year and like you..I still feel like I'm  young..I think alot of it is in your mind..I hear people that are younger than me say that they are old..and they all..they talk old and they act old..I will never say that..Well for one thing I don't believe that I am and I believe your words have an impact on what you say..If you say and think you are old ..you will be..

I never thought to much about a handshake..I think I probably give a wimpy handshake..but I do give a great hug :)
Pages: [1] |   Go Up