Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Canning Gumbo?  (Read 1339 times)

spcat

Canning Gumbo?
« on: March 03, 2006, 01:14:24 PM »

Has anyone canned gumbo before? I really want to can some. Roux, onions, garlic, seasoning, chicken and sausage and of course lots of water.  I've never seen a post or recipe for one but was wondering if there is any good reason not to? The one I make for myself has just veggies but either way, would this be similar to canning a stew? Thanks

cassBme

Re: PC - MIXED INGREDIENTS (Soup, Chili, Leftovers)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 03:04:23 PM »

spcat~ I've never canned anything with a roux myself, but I really don't think it's recommended to use flour, etc. in canning. Maybe someone else will come along that knows more about this.

I can things like stew but I wait to thicken it once I open the jar to heat. Could you do that with the gumbo?

spcat

Re: PC - MIXED INGREDIENTS (Soup, Chili, Leftovers)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 06:26:51 PM »

No, you pretty much start with the roux but gumbo isn't very thick at all. Not like pea soup or anything or even tomato juice. I don't thicken it with file' or use okra which can thicken it quite a bit. The roux is used more like a soup base and flavoring rather than a thickener (at least the way we make it here). I made some boston baked beans from the Ball Blue book the other day and it was much thicker. I was just hoping that somebody had some experience with this.  I THINK it would be fine the way I make it but am still not sure if there is something about flour that makes it especially hard to heat properly etc. Anyone know for sure?
Pages: [1] |   Go Up