Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Vinegar & bleach make bug-killer combo  (Read 12700 times)

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
Vinegar & bleach make bug-killer combo
« on: February 19, 2006, 08:08:21 PM »

Vinegar and bleach make anthrax-killer Combo destroys most microbes in 20 minutes or less, study says

NANCY KERCHEVAL Bloomberg News

A cup of white vinegar gives diluted household bleach enough strength to kill almost any disease-causing microbe, including anthrax spores contaminating surfaces, according to a study by MicroChem Lab Inc.

Vinegar changes the character of household bleach from alkaline to acidic and makes it 80 to 200 times more effective at being an antimicrobial product, said Norman Miner, Microchem president and a researcher on the study presented on Friday at the American Society for Microbiology Biodefense Research meeting in Washington.

Miner said household bleaches manufactured and sold in an alkaline state are relatively ineffective at killing disease-causing microbes. The vinegar gives bleach enough kick to fight bacteria, fungi, viruses and spores.

"Bleach has been used as a disinfectant for decades. People just assume it will kill everything on a countertop," Miner said in an interview.

"It's one of the myths."
Bleach can't be bottled in an acidic state because it's unstable, Miner said in an interview. After a day, it would start losing the chlorine that gives it its bleaching power.

Researchers tested the vinegar recipe on dried bacterial spores, considered the most resistant to disinfectants used on microbes, the Euless, Texas-based company said.

After researchers swabbed surfaces with the acidic dilution, all the spores were dead in 20 minutes, Miner said. An alkaline dilution left only 2.5 percent of the areas free of microbes after the same amount of time.

Emergency Aid
"In the event of an emergency involving Bacillus anthracis spores contaminating such environmental surfaces as counter tops, desk and table tops, and floors, for example, virtually every household has a sporicidal sterilant available in the form of diluted, acidified bleach," Miner said in a statement.The vinegar-laced bleach also killed aspergillus negri, commonly recognized by most people as the black fungi that infect the tile grout of shower stalls, Miner said.

"Diluted bleach at an alkaline pH is a relatively poor disinfectant, but acidified diluted bleach will virtually kill anything in 10 to 20 minutes," Miner said.

The recipe
Dilute one cup of household bleach in one gallon of water and then add one cup of white vinegar.

Norman Miner, Microchem president, said the concept of making bleach acidic to heighten its germ-killing capacity isn't new, but not many consumers know about the recipe.

Vinegar and bleach make microbe-killer
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

Cheri

• ~
Re: Vinegar and bleach make anthrax-killerCombo
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 08:18:52 PM »

Well,,, this is my good lesson for the day.  :afro:  I was one of the people that bleach would kill about anything. Glad I found out I was wrong now, rather then think I was right when I really need to disinfect something.

Dancing Bear

• OCH Friend
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 10:57:35 AM »

So this means one should only mix up enough to use any given day. Correct?

travelerrn

• OCH Family
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:22:04 AM »

Great info.   Thanks!

Pansy

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 02:18:49 PM »

Thanks for this head's up Nurseforlife.  It is printing for my hard copy files as we speak.  Do so appreciate all the work you do for all of us here.  Thanks! :love

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 10:54:48 PM »

This is VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION! I feel it is incomplete as to dealing with viruses such as SARS and Avian Influenza, but I'll be looking for more information on it. If anyone finds good documentation on this before I do, please post it here. :afro:

Dancing Bear... I think you're right on that from the way it says...
Bleach can't be bottled in an acidic state because it's unstable, Miner said in an interview. After a day, it would start losing the chlorine that gives it its bleaching power.

I think I'm gonna reduce the recipe for my own benefit now...
1/2 cup of bleach to 2 quarts of water, with 1/2 cup of vinegar added = 9 cups.
1/4 cup of bleach to 1 quart of water, with 1/4 cup of vinegar added = 4 1/2 cups.

This should also be helpful to make in the morning and use throughout the day.
Caution: Don't put much bleach down the drains into septic systems, or you'll kill off the much needed good bacteria in there.
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

bigbore442001

• OCHer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 11:52:28 AM »

This is really good information. I sometimes wonder why such information isn't put out by most papers and on TV. This is most helpful.

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:34:06 PM »

Vinegar increases killing power of bleach

Adding white vinegar to diluted household bleach greatly increases the disinfecting power of the solution, making it strong enough to kill even bacterial spores. Researchers from MicroChem Lab, Inc. in Euless, Texas, report their findings today at the 2006 ASM Biodefense Research Meeting.
Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) in the form of laundry bleach is available in most households. The concentrate is about 5.25 to 6 percent NaOCl, and the pH value is about 12. Sodium hypochlorite is stable for many months at this high alkaline pH value.

"Laundry bleach is commonly diluted about 10 to 25-fold with tap water to about 2000 to 5000 parts per million of free available chlorine for use as an environmental surface disinfectant, without regard to the pH value of the diluted bleach. However, the pH value is very important for the antimicrobial effectiveness of bleach," says Norman Miner, a researcher on the study.

At alkaline pH values of about 8.5 or higher, more than 90 percent of the bleach is in the form of the chlorite ion (OCl-), which is relatively ineffective antimicrobially. At acidic pH values of about 6.8 or lower, more than 80 percent of the bleach is in the form of hypochlorite (HOCl). HOCl is about 80 to 200 times more antimicrobial than OCl-.

"Bleach is a much more effective antimicrobial chemical at an acidic pH value than at the alkaline Ph value at which bleach is manufactured and stored. A small amount of household vinegar is sufficient to lower the pH of bleach to an acidic range," says Miner.

Miner and his colleagues compared the ability of alkaline (pH 11) and acidified (pH 6) bleach dilutions to disinfect surfaces contaminated with dried bacterial spores, considered the most resistant to disinfectants of all microbes. The alkaline dilution was practically ineffective, killing all of the spores on only 2.5 percent of the surfaces after 20 minutes. During the same time period the acidified solution killed all of the spores on all of the surfaces.

"Diluted bleach at an alkaline pH is a relatively poor disinfectant, but acidified diluted bleach will virtually kill anything in 10 to 20 minutes," says Miner. "In the event of an emergency involving Bacillus anthracis spores contaminating such environmental surfaces as counter tops, desk and table tops, and floors, for example, virtually every household has a sporicidal sterilant available in the form of diluted, acidified bleach."

Miner recommends first diluting one cup of household bleach in one gallon of water and then adding one cup of white vinegar.

American Society for Microbiology
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

chickadee

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 04:23:57 PM »

Back to the top.

mistylady

• OCH Friend
Re: Vinegar & bleach make bug-killer combo
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 02:59:22 PM »

And bumping back up.  This is too important to fall to the bottom. 
"Adventure is the result of poor preparation" -- Mark Twain

fraulibra

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 03:29:12 PM »

Thanks for bumping this up, Misty.  I had not seen it before.  Great information!
He who sings scares away his woes.  ~Cervantes

shelle

• OCH Friend
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »

thanks for the good informaiton!!  :hug
The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

heartathome

• OCH Friend
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 02:31:23 AM »

This is very helpful information and I've saved it for printing.

Image is what you are before people.  Character is what you are when nobody else sees you.
Kent Christmas

Housekeeper

• OCH Friend
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »

We have a real problem with mildew/mold where I work. We are out in the woods and the pool bath house and some of our cottages don't have any sort of air conditioning/dehumidifier in them. We try to keep after it, but as fast as you clean it away it comes back again...

I mixed some of this up on Wednesday and again on Friday and sprayed down the entire bath house and the bathrooms in the cottages...I swear they smelled lest musty the next morning!!

Anyone else been experimenting?

Shelly

• OCH Family
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »

I always thought bleach would kill anything!  What an eye opener.  I'll give this a try on Saturday when I give the bathroom a good cleaning!

Housekeeper

• OCH Friend
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 07:17:21 AM »

Tip of the day:
Make sure you have LOTS of ventilation while using this stuff!!! I was doing some fall cleaning (at work) in our more rustic cottages, where we have mold as an issue, and felt fine while I was cleaning...but after I left and went back to the housekeeping office I started to cough...and came home with full blown cold symptoms! I think I irritated my respiratory system enough that the cold germies took hold.

Anyway, I swear by this solution! It's cut the mold down at camp by 2/3 at least...just don't breathe it  :giggle

Shelly

• OCH Family
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 11:47:07 AM »

I'll do that!  I planned to do my deep cleaning this weekend, but we had my step-daughters and who wants to clean when you can be doing something with them??   ::D  So I will be doing it this week.  I'm off tomorrow thru next Tuesday, so I should get plenty of stuff done around the house.  I'll remember to open the windows!

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 11:58:09 AM »

Housekeeper, did you by chance breathe in some of the mold spores?

Anyone who is around mold without a pretty good mask/respirator can get very sick. Altho, the symptoms you describe could also be from the bleach fumes, which can make us feel pretty crummy, too. :sick

An excellent guide to mold removal and control can be found at...
http://www.nh.gov/ FEMA Mold Brochure

"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Housekeeper

• OCH Friend
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 07:11:17 AM »

CL, I wondered about the mold spores...we don't wear masks or anything while cleaning in there...but mold doesn't seem to be one of the things that bothers me. It's always a possibility though.

jeepwidow

• New OCH Family
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »

I loved the Super Germ Killer Recipe and was excited about using it.
I shared it with a friend of mine and he sent me the following, can anyone sustantiate this or not:

Adding acid to household bleach will release Chlorine Gas (Poison!)

Vinegar as an organic acid will react with the bleach reducing the effectiveness of both with a very high likelihood of releasing poison gas and toxic chlorinated organics.

In the Pharmaceutical industry we used a solution of 1 part household bleach and 9 parts pure water to sterilize hard surfaces. You donít need anything stronger as long as you have scrubbed off any soil or biofilms from the material. At room temp you need a minimum of 10 min (IIRC) of contact time for the disinfectant to do itís job.

The alternative is a Quaternary Ammonium surfactant (QUAT) like they use in the meat cutting industry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary ... _compounds

Allowing surfaces to dry thoroughly will also eliminate bacteria as well as most household cleaners.

Bleach will not bother the septic system when used in moderate quantities. (IE don't sink a 5 gallon bucket of undilluted bleach in one shot)
Thanks,
JP
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up