Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezer Alert! Geezer Alert!  (Read 5401 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Geezer Alert! Geezer Alert!
« on: January 30, 2006, 07:22:02 PM »

YMBAGOGI - Hmmm......a trip down memory lane.  I was going to mention a few TV names to see if anyone remembered them.  Names like Mr. Magoo, Cecil (the seasick sea serpent) and Beenie, or Tennessee Tuxedo.  What was that walrus' name anyhow?  Or how about Dudley Dooright, Snidely Whiplash, Bullwinkle, Boris and Natasha.  What about the phrase “duh, help Mr. Wizard!” (“twizzle twizzle twazzle twome, time for ‘dis one to come home”)?  How ‘bout Barney Miller, Barney Fife, or Barney Rubble?  Do you remember roller skates, roller skate keys, Melanie, hippies, waitresses wearing roller skates bringing food in trays that fit in your car window?  What about Eddie Haskel?  Or the ultimate rite of passage for us guys: a BB gun!  Or the privilege of wearing your Cub Scout knife clipped to your belt at school?  How 'bout Fizzies or gold nuggest bubble gum in the cloth pouch?  Whenever I hear someone talk about the war, I automatically think of Viet Nam.  That jumble of things from the past  gave me an idea for a fun list we can make based on the “you might be a redneck if....” concept.  So feel free to join in the fray and add to the list of :

“YOU MIGHT BE A GEEZER OR GEEZERETTE IF:
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
Re: Geezer Alert! Geezer Alert!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 08:53:20 PM »

You ever wore bobby socks and saddle shoes
Did your mother ever gave you a home perm ::D
Do you remember going to bed in foam or bristle rollers or how about pin curls?
How about drive in movies?
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »

I remember all those but can only speak to going to the drive-ins.  No home perm, saddleshoes, or hair curlers for me.  I recall women, at least in my neck of the woods, had no qualm about going to the grocery store with hair up in curlers either.  My cigarette smoking adventure fortunately lasted less than a year but I recall rolling the pack up in my T-shirt sleeve and, when in the military, tucking the pack into the top of my socks because we couldn't carry them in a pocket.

cassBme

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 10:02:54 PM »

LOL, I remember most of what each of you has mentioned! My mom used to "let" me watch Bullwinkle and I have to say I hated that show! Now Popeye and Felix the cat were more my speed and I loved the Flintstones. I despised Eddie Haskel with a passion.

And yes I remember all those lovely ways to have curls, pin curls with the bobby pins and it felt like mom always jabbed me in the head each time she put the pins in and this was after her pulling my hair so tight and wound it around and around, UGH. The foam was much more comfortable to sleep in than those horrible brush rollers. Mom even made some curlers from the lids of tin cans, she cut them in strips, wrapped brown paper around the strips, rolled my hair on them and then turned each end of the strip toward the center. Can you tell my hair was and is poker straight LOL?

"I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates, you've got a brand new key, I think that we should get together and ........."

I also remember those horrible itchy things mom made me wear under my dresses (can't remember what they are called, but they made the skirt of the dress stand out).

Wishfulthinkin

• OCH Friend
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:17:37 AM »

Yes cass I remember that horrible itchy lining....can't remember what it was called. And my hair was short but my Mom used to put little "spit" curls on my forhead with dippity doo...yuk

Let's see...you might be a Geezer if.....

You ever owned a metal slinky.
You used to tie you tee shirts up in rubber bands and dip them in in a bucket of dye.
You know who Tip and Mitten are.
You owned a record player and numerous 45's with the little plastic insert.
You read the Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 10:24:06 AM »

How about drive-in theaters being called passion pits.  Which was, actually, a very accurate name for them.  I remember if the windows got too steamy the “Gestapo” would come and knock on the window until you opened it and let him look inside.

Howdy Doody and the Peanut Gallery was a big thing back in the 50’s.  I never did like them but the rest of the world seemed to.  How about Roy Rogers and Dale Evans singing Happy Trails at their end of the show.  Remember Nellie Bell?  We can't forget The Lone Ranger and faithful companion Tonto. I too hated Eddie Haskel at the time but he makes me laugh now when I see a rerun of Leave it to Beaver. 

AND my favorite The Mickey Mouse Club.  Anyone remember Spin and Marty?  White Shadow?  Whenever I write the word E N C Y C L O P E D I A, I still sing it.  How about “today is Friday, you know what that means, we’re going to have a special guest….”

Let’s see we girls played hopscotch.  If we could use 2 bobby pins hooked together or a small chain for laggers we couldn’t be beat! 

Anyone play marbles?  We carried our bags of marbles everywhere we went hoping for a game with someone.  I guess it was really our first lessons in gambling.  What you won off the other person you actually got to keep.   We had shooters and we had steelies.  We had cat eyes and all sorts of things.

In the spring it was kite season.  I remember my brothers had paper routes and their own money.  They would buy their kite and 1,000’ of string at a time.  If they couldn’t talk me, the little sister, into winding all that string in for them they’d just cut it and then jump on their bikes and chase the silly things.  I’ll have to ask them someday if they every found one.  I suppose by the time they got back home I’d forgotten all about why they left.

How many hula hoops did I have in those years.....oh my, what fun but I've rattled long enough.  Thanks Magispook, this was a fun trip down memory lane!

Garnet

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 08:20:04 PM »

Metal curlers!  I slept on those things every night once I started to school.  Brush rollers came later.  Never knew anyone slept on those.

Maybe someone was thinking about crinoline petticoats.

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 08:53:49 PM »

To this day I still wad my pillow up at my neck instead of under my head.  DH thinks I'm nuts but I'm sure it was learning to sleep with brush rollers in my hair for years and years.

travelerrn

• OCH Family
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 11:46:26 AM »

I remember all those things!  What great times.  Lets see

I had curly hair so I set my hair in large OJ cans to straighten it out some. :idiot2:
  My Dad bought an EDSEL!!!!!  :lol :lol
  Nylons...no..not panty hose....nylons  ::D
  Movies for .25 or 2 Dr. Pepper bottle caps  :-D

Dancing Bear

• OCH Friend
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 01:01:22 PM »

The Hardy Boys, Hop-a-Long Cassidy, Poncho and Cisco, The Captain Kangaroo Show (with my favorite - Dancing Bear).Man! Those were the days!

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 07:41:00 PM »

Hardy Boys.  Nancy Drew. Anyone remember the Rick Brant science mysteries?

KatieMouse

• OCH Family
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 11:46:35 PM »

Sky King. I used to "fly " the Electrolux around the room, because it sounded like Sky King's plane banking over the hills. There was some dopey cartoon with a still picture but the mouth moved. I hated it, but if I turned it off, then the TV was off for the rest of the day & I'd miss the show that came on next!
I loved those puffy skirts if they were the real fancy Polly Flinder style. The cheaper versions looked cute, but that itchy crinoline stuff wasn't lined to keep it away from tender hide!

nana2boys

• OCH Friend
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 12:14:42 AM »

i think those slips were called can can slips.  made that skirt stand out a mile and all that net that it was made with itched like crazy.    remember those all day suckers that you could buy that had coin money in them?  i loved the grape ones.
bikes that had the narrow metal strip over the back tire that some one could ride behind you on.  most had a wire basked on the front of the handle bars.  girls playing with jacks.  the old wooden yoyo's.  boys with bb guns and us girls had ironing board with an iron that you could really plug in and it got warm.  metal pedal cars and baby doll buggies.  we would dress up our dog in doll clothes and push it around.  girls, remember the choo choo bags.  the only clay we had to play with at school was in dark green and red brick color and smelled bad.  okay, i'm 52 and i still hate bullwinkle, but did like mr. greenjeans on captain kangaroo.  i also like lambchops. 

nana to tommy, jonathan, cameron (touched by an angel on Oct 16, 2002) and christian.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up