Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 9  (Read 1698 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Ponderings 9
« on: January 03, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »

Doggie Dreams - My four legged son is having a dream while sleeping beside me.  He must be chasing something.  He is barking the dream bark and his legs are jerkily moving the way dogs do when they dream.  I wonder if he’ll recall the dream when he wakes up.  I guess it all depends on how intelligent he is or is not.  But, then again, I’m thinking in human terms.  Perhaps dreams are real to doggies.  Maybe they are somehow metaphysically transported to some other plane while their bodies are somehow connected or tethered between here and there.  They can slip from one world to the other.   Maybe that’s why doggies like to sleep so much.  Perhaps we humans go to some other place during dreams as well.  Perhaps not.  I wonder if he ponders such things or is life for him simply eating, sleeping, and barking.  If he doesn’t find it necessary to think or worry about things, who has it better: him or me?

Mine Explosion - We are glued to the TV here regarding the mine accident in Sago, WV.  I come from a family of coal miners.  All West Virginians are family when these things happen and we all pull together. We will all grieve if those families grieve.  I’ve worked underground before.  Didn’t really like it.  Of course, “you can’t be buried no deeper, no cheaper,” they say.  All miners are mindful of the accident waiting to happen to them or theirs–it’s just not spoken for fear speaking it will make it happen.  And they know the dangers mining has are part and parcel of the money they make–the pay is good for a reason.  Some work in the mines just for the money.  Others because there is not much opportunity to make a decent living otherwise in economically depressed areas here in Appalachia.  Some because it is a family tradition.  Others like the comradery of the job.  Others like the constant action and the feeling increased alertness gives them.  Some like the smell of the inside of a mountain.  They know the dangers involved and they go underground anyway.  Most occupations have dangers unique to that particular line of work.  Part of my job involves knocking on doors and talking to the folks.  One person I talked to took a liking to me and told me that he had been a “druggie” a few years back.  He also honestly told me that as soon as I had identified myself and my client, back in those drug induced paranoia days, that “I would’ve shot your ass as soon as I saw that badge.”  As I said, he took a liking to me and wanted to increase my awareness.  Got my attention but then again, I already know that possibility is always there and he just verified it for me.  Got attacked by a Rottweiler once doing the same thing.  What I’m trying to say is there is some danger in every job.  You have to make your peace with it.  Miners do.  We all do.  Anyhow, I hope they make it out alive but the realistic side of me believes they have paid the ultimate price for putting food on the table for their families and energy to our nation.  Make sure you hug your loved ones before you go out the door today.  Tell them you love ‘em too.  Might be the last thing one of you will remember about the other.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Magispook

• Mod Team
Re: Ponderings 9
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:56:35 AM »

Needle and Thread - One of our members recently shared with us that he proposed marriage and his fiance accepted.  This brought a question to mind that I had to ask my wife.  Just shy of thirty years ago, I dropped to one  knee and asked my wife to marry me.  She said "no."  For good reason - ours is an intercultural and, technically, an interracial marriage.  But I persisted and eventually (a week or so later) she said "yes."  Last evening, I asked her why she changed her mind.  Her reply:  "needle and thread."  The union was meant to be, just like a needle and thread.  Well, so much for having been handsome, stimulating, or a real prize.  I'll take needle and thead.  I'm one of those who believe some things are simply meant to be.

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 11:46:39 AM »

Magispook, I don't think that I have ever told you how much I enjoy reading your 'musings'.

They are very interesting and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us. :-D

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 04:42:31 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  Sometimes I get concerned I'm taking up bandwidth that could better be used for more immediate needs.  I'm happy you get something out of it.   ::D
Pages: [1] |   Go Up