Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezerville 3  (Read 1504 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Geezerville 3
« on: November 15, 2005, 04:35:07 PM »

The high temperature here in north-central West Virginia today (mid-November) is in the lower 70s.  The weather sure is strange nowadays.  It wasn’t that way when I was growing up.  I hear myself saying that a lot.  I remember my grandmother saying the same thing when I was a child.  I find myself saying what I considered when I was younger “old people” observations more and more often.  Stuff like, when I was a kid, things didn’t cost as much; I could buy penny candy and get a handful of candy for a nickel; stuff was better made back then; neighbors looked out for each other; eat all the food on your plate–there are kids starving in Africa (or Asia–take your pick); when I was your age, I’d (fill in the blank); we had respect for our elders when I was a kid; we wore our pants around our waist, not our knees; etc.  Now I’m saying those things. My daughter just rolls her eyes when she hears them.   I didn’t realize or reflect that I have all those years behind me now that I have passed the half century mark.  Yes, being old is a state of mind.  But your body is the first thing to let you know the years have sped past.  Things take a little longer and generate groans, huffs, and puffs.  As a guy, I don’t make it a point to check for signs of aging in the mirror and so I rarely come to the conclusion I’m getting old based on the reflection I see there.  On occasion, I get called “sir” which indicates some rare respect for those of us creeping up in the years but being called “sir” is like raking fingernails on a blackboard to a retired Master Sergeant.  Shows my age, just mentioning raking fingernails on a blackboard, eh?  I’ll know I’ve really hit the old geezer threshold when pretty young women flirt with me and ask me to dance.  They do that ‘cause they believe they’re safe from unwanted advances and they think the old geezer’s enjoyment of all the attention is cute.  I’m happy (I guess) to report I have yet to receive that kind of special attention.  When it happens, I’ll tell them how I walked five miles to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways back in the day when men were men and food was cheap.  Something to look forward to I guess.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
Geezerville 3
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 04:59:57 PM »

I always enjoy your writings Magispook, they make me smile,  :tysign And I see those very things in myself, I guess what some say is true; in some respects we do eventually turn into our parents.  :giggle
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

Kay

• OCH Veteran
Geezerville 3
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 05:46:53 PM »

I just love your writing, Magispook.  :huggy  And hey, turning into our parents is a GOOD thing, at least for me. My parents embodied everything I aspired for, as I'm sure is the case with almost everyone here: solid dependability, good work ethic, respectable and respected, always there for us. And if I am among the minority for which this is true, then I count myself blessed. (My Dad, who is gone now, was a Master Sergeant, too.)
Pages: [1] |   Go Up