Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Even More Equipment Testing  (Read 907 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Even More Equipment Testing
« on: March 05, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »

I have embraced the lightweight/ultralight concept/trend for hiking.  Less pack weight is easier on the legs and reduces fatigue so you can focus on enjoying your hike instead of wondering if you packed Motrin so you can take it at the next stop.  Obviously this concept meshes very well with prep and BoB concepts.  It can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be.  I now buy the best quality gear I can afford with the mindset it will last me the rest of my lifetime and be useful for my heirs as well.  To that end, I just got an Esbit titanium stove and the Esbit tabs that fit it. Had to try it out soon as they came in. Put a (Toaks) titanium 600ml pot/cup filled to 300ml with cold water on the stove.  Got boiling water in about ten minutes with lid on which I consider pretty good for a non-pressurized stove. Get this: stove with one Esbit tab total weight is one ounce. Tab is supposed to last around twelve minutes so I blew it out at ten to save for further experimentation. Since I already had the hot water, made a cup of dandelion tea my wife likes. It's OK, but my druthers would be good ol' sassafras. Ti stove plus ti pot plus Esbit tab plus a Hotlips for the pot plus mesh bags for the stove and pot plus Bic lighter plus two coffee filters is a whopping four ounces. All fit in the pot with room to spare so I could put in some instant coffee packs or tea or hot chocolate mix or other goodies that would be welcome when stopping to rest.  The pot is about the size of half a Gatoraid bottle.   :)

Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Garnet

• OCH Veteran
Re: Even More Equipment Testing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »

:) Won't be backpacking, but just curious.  How much water for tea in your pack, and how much does it weigh?

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:19 PM »

Depends on duration of walk or camp.  I tend to dry camp which means I bring my own water.  If it's just a walk, one liter which weighs about two pounds.   Overnight is at least three liters which is about six pounds.  Obviously I can cut my weight simply by relying on trail water sources but then I would have to treat the water.  I could do that chemically or with a filter.  Or pre-filter with a coffee filter then boil the water using the stove and pot so as to not have the weight of a filter or worry about breaking the bottle with the chem treatment.  A trick I've learned to reduce water weight is to drink lots of water prior to your trek so you theoretically won't need to carry any water but, being a prepper, I tend to want to bring along water anyhow.  Long-winded, ain't I?

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »

It has been a while since we have been camping, which I always dearly loved to do.
Our hiking was always within a mile of camp.
One of my favorite place was called Chickadee lodge (it is a bird sanctuary) with trail and
swinging bridges. It didnít have any conveniences. Not as rough as you do as we trucked our water
and food in. 
Although this is mostly off topic. It did make me remember some of our good times  :ty2  :)

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »

One of my former high school classmates and now FaceBook friend is a birder who currently lives in Newport News, VA.  He discovered the hobby last year and enjoys it immensely.  He posts photos on his FaceBook page and it seems a good way to exercise both the body and the mind.  I carry my own food and drink in as well--I increasingly like my comfort as I age.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:25:36 AM »

Your Equipment Testing is fascinating. Not sure I have the self-discipline to go the minimalist route, so would have to have a wagon, bike or goat cart for my "STUFF". We appreciate having our retreat for full time living.

Thanks for contributing your thoughts and activities. I enjoy sharing your wisdom & experiences. :4u
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"
Pages: [1] |   Go Up