Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 20  (Read 1266 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Ponderings 20
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »

Don't quite know how to categorize this on the Musings corner so decided to just start Ponderings 20 which may see more inputs come October--falls under the category of "woo woo."  I woke up early this morning (light sleeper) convinced my daughter who has her own apartment with childhood friends and who really and truly visits at all hours (sometimes just to raid the fridge for home cooked food), was in the house (around 5:00 a.m.).  Got up with flashlight (strobing option for nonlethal defense) and determined she was not here but the door she would enter was unlocked.  The dogs had not alerted me to anyone but they wouldn't if it was my daughter.  I queried my wife this morning and she insists she locked it last night.  So I've installed a chime annunciator at that door.  Here's the thing that disturbs me a bit and I'm documenting it here for future reference:  similar things have happened before here and always with only me being cognizant of them.  Typically something happens later (weeks to months later) that is life changing or nearly so.  I do have Irish blood and it is said the "veil" is thinner for us for some reason.  There is nothing specific I can prep for with such a "warning" other than be ready in advance for significant change.  Have ya'll encountered anything similar and, if so, how did you interpret/take any action about it?
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Ponderings 20
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »

Hmm-m-m... First thoughts here.

Have you asked your DD if she came by in the wee hours this morning? Perhaps she came in using her key, and left without the door being secured behind her, while Mom continued to sleep after locking it. Was anything amiss, like dirty dishes in the sink/dishwasher or leftovers missing from the 'fridge? Could Mom have possibly forgotten to lock the door and thought she had locked it as usual? I've been guilty of that, but I'm older.

While I accept that extra-sensory perception, premonition, intuition, etc. does exist, the more common source probably has subtle superstition at it's core. Life-changing situations occur with varying frequency in all our lives, and we could say on almost ANY day... "I think something life-changing is going to happen soon." and then watch for it... BAM~! There it is, just like clockwork, or so it seems. The belief can set up EXPECTATION and whatever we expect to find often appears as if by magic. Yet in reality, the life-changing thing would have happened, whether we had expected it or not. Our expectations being "Right On~!" adds to our sense of foreboding and when it occurs again and again, a deeply held belief can be born.

Some can call it "superstition", but there definitely is TRUTH in it. Some of us in the "Preparedness Community" tend to have more sensitivity for or experience in disaster preparedness and mitigation than others and we are alert for indications of impending danger, and so tend to be more alert to the earlier signs of possibilities of problems, danger, disaster, potential catastrophe, etc.

As a former fire-fighter, I'm more alert to signs of or the potential for fire than most people. As a survivor of an abusive relationship, I am more sensitive to subtle clues that indicate the presence of abuse. The more we learn about any subject, the more we are aware, and who's to say that a sudden prickle at the back of my neck isn't me picking up signs of danger sooner than someone without my awareness.

Gavin de Becker wrote about this sixth-sense in his book, "The Gift Of Fear", which I keep a copy of. In it, he helps us take off the burden of guilt of recognizing when we feel the very first twinges of something having the potential for danger.  De Becker doesn't write to make his readers fearful, quite the opposite. He helps us recognize how we use our gifts of awareness and potential all the time throughout our lives to stay safe, and minimize our chances of having dangerous things happen to us.

Too often when someone senses something as you did this morning, they talk themselves out of recognizing the potentials within it. Parents often ridicule their children for being afraid of their shadow ("Don't be so silly."), when they could be helping the child process the input in a way that keeps them safe. We should NEVER ignore our inner clues to avoid danger. We should use these clues to empower ourselves to avoid problems or avoid being thrown off-balance by the unexpected.

I want to get his "Protecting the Gift", a book that helps us learn how to teach our children and teenagers to use their natural Gift of Fear to be safe. These books are not new and are often available for as little as 1-cent plus $3.99 shipping online. http://amazon.com/ Similar books are available FREE in the Kindle format and can be read on any computer with the Kindle Reader app, if you don't have a Kindle. Its a free download. Google Books also has many books available to read online as well.

Dan, I truly believe we would all be better off being aware of the possibilities in situations like the one you faced this morning. As you know, OCH exists to help its members & readers recognize and act on the dangers, disasters and other "bumps" we encounter in this thing we call LIFE.

Thanks for sharing this...

PS Now if you're interested in discussing Psychometrics, we can discuss that in a different board. :giggle
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

Daughter is here and says it wasn't her.  Nothing amiss in the house.  I was definitely awake.  Dogs didn't alert.   I'll have to see if we have those books at the library.  I've encountered similar in this house before and there's no malevolence like the poltergeist I encountered overseas years ago.  Frankly I don't know what to make of it and am glad for any insights.  Thanks.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:07:05 AM »

Changes - My wife went to visit family in Korea.  Hasn't seen her brothers in almost nineteen years.  So I am living the bachelor style life for the next four weeks (already two weeks into the six week visit).  So far I have managed to maintain weight and exercise regimen.  The only real challenge is supper as I have the same things for breakfast and lunch each time.  I have a sandwich and chips/carrots for supper plus a night-time snack.  (I can't cook).  I allow myself one restaurant hot meal a week.  The biggest change for me/(us), however, is that I have found it necessary to go out of business due to the sequester and government shutdown.  I hung on as long as I could but could not sustain any longer.  Good thing we have preps.  It was really a job I liked.  I did it for seventeen years and did my part for national security every day the entire period.  I have been an investigator since 1987.  There is a Korean saying that when whales fight shrimps' backs are broken meaning that the "little guy" is the one to suffer when those in government decide to impose their theories/dogma onto the nation without regard to collateral damage--this has happened throughout the history of man and will happen again. Fortunately I have been selected for a clerk position with the Veterans Administration and start the first week of November.  The pay is one third of what I could make during a good year self-employed.  But I will now have paid vacation and days off, paid sick leave, paid holidays, only have to work eight hours a day, and my job site is 1.3 miles from home.  I walked it and it's twenty minutes with a shortcut going to and twenty-three minutes going home (downhill to work, uphill to home).  It's a three minute drive otherwise. Instead of putting an average of 3000 miles a month on my car, I'll put about 100 miles a month.  It will be a big change for me to only work eight hours a day and for a supervisor instead of a contract but to every thing there is a season.  Wish me luck!

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »

It sure is sad to have to suffer for the un-wellness of
our Government to—well you know. :(

I hope you will like your new job especially the convenes
it brings and the perks.   

I do with you all the luck  :XFingers1

P.S. I hope your wife has the best time with her family.  :ghurray2:

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

We video Skype daily. She's really enjoying her trip.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »

Day 2 of working my new job.  Spent yesterday and most of today at newcomer orientation.  This is the first traditional job I've had since 1980.  This is going to take some getting used to.  As we used to say in the Air Force:  "an opportunity to excel." 

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »

Magispook there is no doubt in my mine that you will excel in your new job.

I don't think you could do anything but the best. :)

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »

Thought I'd update on my new job experience.  Yesterday was my last day there.  I learned a lot about myself.  Most importantly, I found out that I'm not cut out to work a traditional job after being my own boss for the past eighteen years.  I felt as if I was in a box.  I had to be at work at a certain time.  I couldn't leave until a certain time.  I had to come in to work to let them know I needed to take sick leave.  I only earned a small amount of standard leave and sick leave per month and should not go beyond my leave earnings.  Unlike self-employment, when bad weather sets in, I still have to go to work.  One day I rucked in one and a half miles in ten inch snow with my pack on my back wearing my Air Force issue mukluks using a set of Nordic walking sticks because I couldn't get my little Toyota Echo past our neighborhood.  I also learned my short term memory is pretty much shot and the job required that particular trait constantly.  I did develop work-arounds for the deficit but still….  I knew my wife knew the word as she is pretty good at English, but she used the word "miserable" to describe me and I've never ever heard her use the word before.  Anyhow, Congress at present is playing nicer and funding came in so I will be going back to being a contractor hopefully starting next week (just waiting on my credentials to start the ball rolling).  I have been applying for jobs in Germany these past few years and was actually recently referred for a couple there in addition to a high-paying job in Arlington, VA--someone else was selected for each of them.  Looking back, it appears my path is that of self-employment and my misery would have been compounded had I been selected for one of those jobs and committed funds to housing rental, moving expenses, etc.  I also learned that we can get by on half the pay I made self-employed (I took a 50 to 60% pay cut depending on how good a year it is) while still managing to put away 20% of my traditional job take-home pay/month into the government thrift savings plan.  That is where preps and self-control came in handy.  I have decided not to work so many hours henceforth unless there is a national emergency so my wife and I can spend more time traveling now that the kids are out of the house.  So, for me, traditional employment was an eye-opening experience.  And, like right now, when we get significant amounts of snow, I'll just reschedule activities for when the road conditions are better.  That's it for now.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »

Wow!!  Magispook
You have sort of been through the mill these few months.
Good, bad and the intolerable circumstances.
I knew with your ingenuity you would figure out how to land on your feet
and figure you what you need to do.   :gthumbsup1:

Pages: [1] |   Go Up