Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezerville 12  (Read 3421 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Geezerville 12
« on: March 19, 2013, 02:57:08 PM »

Different tangent on Geezerville this time although it pertains a lot to those of us guys who are at or are rapidly approaching geezer status.  I was diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple months ago and believe chronicling my journey through the disease may be of some help to others confronted with it.  I held off on posting on this subject as I had a resume in to a company that could use my skills but I didn't want them to find out about the disease before I had a chance to tell them first.  Looks like the company's ambitions have become a casualty of the sequestration.  Hence, I'm posting on this very personal subject that affects lots of others in my situation (and their family/significant others).  I'm not going to post it all in just this one post as I have yet to have surgery (scheduled for mid-May) so I'll start with suspicion and pre-diagnosis in my next post.  Just wanted to let ya'll to know Geezerville will detour from the normal varied subject matter in the past to one primarily focused on this blasted disease.  Meantime, I'm self-employed and have to earn a living so I will post when the opportunity presents or when I feel like it. 
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Geezerville 12
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:44:11 AM »

Having been through the ladies' version of your current health challenge, I want to say :ty2 for sharing your personal journey. I hope your story will motivate others to be aware of the danger signs and to check anything suspicious with their family doctor.

Cancer is a big deal, but its becoming smaller thanks to the research and clinical trials going on around the world. More and more of us are surviving cancer and even more are finding the side effects of treatment less and less difficult to get through.

I'd like to share something that was given to my DD when she found out that she had stage 4 Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma a few years ago. BTW, she has since become a Cancer Survivor~!

What Cancer Cannot Do
Author: Unknown

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »

Surgery very, very soon!  Will be glad to get this done and over with.  Some here are Facebook friends so they can get the word to folks here at OCH.  I posted the following on Facebook and wish to post it here as well ('cause it's true):  "Some of my meat world and some FB friends know I have cancer. Just a quick note to all that surgery will be very, very soon. I have instructed my daughter to post something on my page if things don't go as planned. In that regard, I wish to apologize to anyone I have offended over the years. Please know that if I have, it was unintentional. I strive to always do no harm and walk the middle path. I'm looking forward to getting this situation resolved so I can get back to normal (the word "normal" when describing me is subjective as many friends have told me). I will post following surgery."  I have not posted the exact date on FB for home security purposes.  My daughter and niece will be here at home while my wife and I are doing the Cleveland thing.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:37:43 AM »

Magispook

First let me say you are in my thoughts and prayer.
The road you are traveling with the cancer with all the uncertainty’s is a hard road.
I do feel you with the help of our family and friends we can handle anything.

:hug

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »

Thanks Chloe.  At this point, I consider myself along for the ride as I've done what it is I can do.  Hope to be out and about in a couple weeks.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »

Dan.... :pray you take care and please let your wife know we are praying for her as well.
See you soon friend.
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Garnet

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:09:22 PM »

:love  Sending love and prayers for you and the surgical team and all who provide care during your procedure  and recovery. 

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »

:getwell Joining in the prayers for a quick and totally successful recovery. :pray :cigar :pray

Dan, we're including your wife and family in our thoughts & prayers as well. :smihearts

taylor

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »

:pray from Mid Mo Spook.

Have know you for a few years now through OCH and have always known you to be an intelligent gentle hearted guy who would hurt no one intentionally. Very good of you to have your ducks in a row before surgery. Will they let you take your banjo to the hospital? Might keep your mind off things  :giggle

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »

Oh NO Miz Taylor, don't tell him that~! He might get to playing those bawdy, risque ballads while he's on pain pills and embarrass his sweet wife. :blush

BTW, Magispook posted that he's "doing well, considering" on his facebook yesterday.
He's probably even back home by now. :hug

Be well and take the pain pills like the Doctor ordered. :tap

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 12:49:42 PM »

Thanks  for the update CL, for those of us who don't do FB.

Glad to hear all went well and we look forward to  seeing you around here soon.

Fiber and Flea Village

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »

Me to, Me to,
Thanks CL for letting us know.

Waiting for more updates  :hug

Thoughts and Prayers are still coming your way Magispook
You know your family are always included in my   :pray
:gruphug

Garnet

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 12:49:12 PM »

:wave4  Nothing feels so good post op as going home ... and having those close to you close by as care givers.   :pray :pray for comfort and good health for you and your wife and all who help out.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 01:21:48 PM »

Thanks all.  Just got home five minutes ago.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »

Welcome   Home  Dan!!    Now go and rest and let your wife spoil you.  Glad  to have  you home and look  forward to hearing from  you as you feel  up  to it.

Fiber and Flea Village

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 05:09:07 PM »

Woohoo~! :smihearts :welcome :4u The SPOOK is IN the HOUSE~! :gruphug :gparty9:

Welcome Back Dan. :hug Glad you're doing well enough to come home so quickly. :clap

Let us know if there is anything you need. Now rest :sleep and :getwell :cigar

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »

Having problems getting comfortable due to lower back and sciatic pain which I had prior to surgery so I'll try to keep this post short.  A few lessons learned:  We got a guest house room at the clinic which had a kitchenette.  My reasoning was my wife could cook her ethnic meals there which would lessen the stress on her.  I packed my camping cookset just in case.  Good thing I did as there wasn't any cookware or dishes included.  My wife got sick while there.  We ended up taking care of each other.  She is getting better.  I find it very difficult to accept help in doing everyday tasks I have taken for granted all these years.  I am working hard to develop alternate strategies for this such as using a cane which helps with walking but also for retrieving things.  The sleep mask and ear plugs did not get used but I had a roommate check in the day I checked out and his non-stop snoring was so bad the ear plugs would not have helped.  I thought of this last night:  My VA urologist gave me five years survival without treatment.  Which means to me at the age of 57, if I make it to 62, it's all gravy as I will be living on borrowed time.  I need to make the best of the rest of my years.  (Survival rate is ten to fifteen years with treatment).  I really appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts during this ordeal.  They meant a lot and an argument can be made they were effective.  I have pain meds but I wait until I can't stand it any more before taking them in order to prevent any future dependence.  That's all for now.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »

:hug :hug for both of you. :4u :4u Sorry y'all are under the weather. :getwell :getwell
At least y'all are home. :love :clap

Dan, taking a pain pill for a few days isn't going to make you addicted to them. You will heal more quickly and better if you'll listen to this advice. The doctor isn't going to let become addicted. It might be your "male ego" talking to you. :p :devil

You'll both be in my/our prayers for a fast recovery and long, happy, healthy life. :gparty9:

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »

Magispook glad you are home now.
I understand the feeling of needing more help than ever before.

I will tell you what my DH said to me.
"Please allow me to help now as it my turn to show you how much you mean to me."

Just be sure to mind what the Dr. said about what you can and can't do.
It could be harder in the long run if you don't :knuppel2:

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »

Got a call from my doc at Cleveland Clinic today--a full week earlier than expected.  Pathology report in.  CANCER FREE!  Will follow-up with a confirming PSA end of June.    :clap
Pages: [1] 2 3 |   Go Up