Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezerville 11  (Read 1816 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Geezerville 11
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »

A retired engineer friend of my wife bought himself a Lexus.  He had always been financially responsible and could not rationalize a vehicle of that caliber earlier in his life even though he made a great income all his life.  But, he explained, this car is to be his last car so he wanted it to be the best he could afford.  I have decided to do something similar on a much smaller scale starting off with my upcoming birthday gift(s).  It is a tradition of my wife and I that we allocate a certain amount of funds (usually $100) for purchase of our birthday gift(s) of our own choosing rather than depending on the spouse to hopefully get something appropriate and wanted.  Thinking about what we do have and especially in the way of preps, we have been blessed to now have the basics and a few niceties.  I have used my birthday and Christmas options over the years to build our prepper inventory.  Last week I ordered a nice pair of pure silk boxers, a really high quality authentic replacement Basque wool beret, and the only Colin Fletcher book I do not have.  Mind you, I already have one pair of the exact same silk boxers, a really good Basque wool beret I bought in Germany a couple decades ago for a surveillance that is fully functional but now too small for me, and I have all the other Fletcher books.  I also have silk long johns, a silk sleeping shirt, and two different sized silk sleeping bag liners as part of my preparedness inventory.  (Can you tell I really like pure silk?)  They are all the best quality I can afford but the difference is that now I have made the decision to henceforth get the best I can afford as the purchased item is intended to last longer than me.  I see it as part of the wisdom(?) one gets as one grows older.  Doesn't hurt that physical comfort comes with the package.   :giggle
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Magispook

• Mod Team
Re: Geezerville 11
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:24:31 PM »

Gonna have biscuits and gravy for breakfast tomorrow morning just because.  Funny how you crave food from your childhood.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »

Found it necessary to stop by a pizza place popular with the local college crowd while waiting to take homecoming dance photos of our niece at a nearby restaurant.  While my wife and elder niece were over at the other restaurant taking photos, my job was to hold down the fort and wait for arrival of our pizza.  Sitting there amongst all the revelers (WVU won the football game here today--go Mountaineers!), I flashed back to my days as a young airman sitting in similar pizza places having a couple pizzas and sharing pitchers of beer with my comrades.  Those were great times.  I recall the food and beverage but can't recall in any detail what we talked about, not because of the beer, but simply because of the passage of time.  We were not into politics or music or anything dangerous but I'm sure we had great conversations.  I suspect we talked about home and plans for the future.  Because I have tinnitis in both ears, it is difficult to discern much in conversation in a noisy room so I was pretty much clueless on the conversations going on around me this evening.  BTW, the homecoming dance kids (including my youngest niece who will be the last to leave the nest here at Magispook Central) at the restaurant next door waited two hours for food which did not arrive even though they had made reservations and it was obvious they were all dressed with somewhere to go.  They had to leave without eating in order to make it to the high school in time for the dance.  Doesn't surprise me.  The place is popular but I have boycotted them for at least a decade as they are more interested in making a buck than in taking fifteen minutes to safeguard the safety of our nation.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »

It is funny how being somewhere or seeing something reminds us of years passed.

Example -- On the front porch thread CL was talking about the nascar races and one of the
driver. It brought back thought of when we first started following his carear.

Now now that you all will be empty nesters have you made some special plans for the future?

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »

Travel.  Downsize.    :)

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »

I ordered and received a Honda EU2000i 2000 watt generator a couple days ago.  It was pricey even with the $100 discount but I had done lots of research and it received very high marks.  Fired it up and am quite impressed by the low noise level, ease of use, and the fact I can run sensitive electronics with it.  With fluids, it weighs in at 57 pounds so I put it on a folding luggage trolley to move it around because I can't carry heavy stuff so much anymore.  This purchase is part of my new philosophy of making quality purchases henceforth.  My wife is already eyeing it for the ubiquitous rice cookers used at Korean picnic outings--they won't be in competition for shelters with electric service anymore.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 01:07:31 AM »

Wow~! Nice generator, Magispook. Glad the Missus likes it too. :clap
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »

I like it even though it is only 2000 watts.  Other than refrigeration (which is the reason for us to have a generator), we can get along without electricity as far as heating, lighting, etc. but those electrons sure are helpful doing tasks like mixing foods, power tools, and such.  I sold my 5000 watt Coleman the previous week to a guy the next county over who had been without power for more than a week.  It was big, loud, and did not sip gasoline like the Honda but he got a great deal and I was able to get rid of the Coleman to make room for the Honda and help out as well.  As noted in the advertising, you really can hold a conversation standing beside the generator--it's that quiet.  I'm sure there are holes in our preps, but this acquisition completes the "stuff" aspect of our preps.  Knowledge and training are continual and that is where my focus will go now.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 07:59:50 PM »

Here's a term from yesteryear:  paddy-wagon.  I remember the first time I saw one--a big black one that reminds me (nowadays) of a shop delivery car or a hearse (we're talking late 50's).  I was four or five years old and lived in what I now know to be the scary part of town in Charleston, WV.  One of my teenage acquaintances who did not run me off when I came around (think of me as Weezer on the Our Gang comedies) ended up being one of the teen gang rounded up and taken off to wherever by the cops.  I remember asking my mom what he was riding in and she said a paddy-wagon.  I remember asking who was Patty.  Never saw him after that so I assume he eventually was sentenced to a juvenile facility.  Sitting on the porch and watching the world go by was a pastime back then--we did not have TV.  I remember a guy on a shop-bike with an ice cooler mounted over the front wheel who sold ice cream out of the cooler.  The bike had a bell to announce his presence and we could afford popsicles on occasion but rarely ice cream.  I also recall watching what I thought was a little boy riding a motorcycle past our house every evening.  Not knowing anything about money, I jealously wanted one of those little motorcycles too.  My mom told me I couldn't because that guy was a midget and he was the only one who could ride it.  So I wanted to be a midget too.  In retrospect and given the demographics of that area, it probably was a home-built scooter or modified motorized bicycle.   I picture lots of things from that era in black and white.  How's that for geezer qualifications?   :giggle

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »

The older I get, the less couth I have.  For example, I just submitted the below limerick as part of a contest to win a coffee mug.  Rule was to keep it clean and travel related.  I probably am pushing the limit on that rule but here's my submission.  What do you think?

I made a special pilgrimage to Munich,
 To consult with their beer drinkiní eunuch.
 He wasnít so smart,
 But boy could he fart.
 And he had schnitzel all over his tunic.

:lol

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »

:giggle

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »

Just ordered the Pimsleur Italian course at ebay.  I checked the local and regional libraries for it but there is none listed.  I feel very comfortable with my German Pimsleur course.  Weird, but it seems like an old friend when I play a lesson.  It's said learning languages helps fend off dementia.  Some may argue I'm already there but that's just the way I am.  Lots of Italians (now third generation) in this area.  I have a few acquaintances whose family took the time to teach them some.  I'll have a better chance of using it here than German.  Learning language is fun, especially via Pimsleur. Could come in handy at a real mom & pop Italian restaurant.  Impress your friends and enemas er enemies!

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 07:45:37 AM »

Update on the limerick contest:  I didn't win.  But my friend did and I believe it to be well deserved.  His entry:

The baby behind me is crying
 These seats make me feel like Iím dying
 My butt is so sore
 I canít take anymore
 Next time I am driving not flying

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »

Am I the only baby-boomer that has the perception that dexterity has slowed down?  I say perception because it may be my hands and fingers actually work at the same speed as always but my mind thinks it should happen faster.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 07:47:32 PM »

Magispook, face it... you're getting older. :hug We ALL are. :yes
Not only is our dexterity shot, but our perception has slowed as well, PLUS we're even more impatient than we used to be.

We're Becoming Grumpy Old Folks~! :ggma4: :ggpa3:
:whisper ME more than YOU.
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »

I resemble that remark, CL.   :giggle
Pages: [1] |   Go Up