Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Germany Trip 2012  (Read 3516 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Re: Germany Trip 2012
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

Writing up 18 days worth and can't seem to get a facebook pic link to work yet.  Last day was neat.  Rode from Dover with two women who had the looks to work as models.  Too bad my guy buds could not witness it.  ; )
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »

Magispook you  :devil you

Magispook

• Mod Team
Germany Trip 2012 Some Lessons Learned
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »

Some Lessons Learned
Even though I agree wholeheartedly with the concept of taking only carry-on luggage for travel, I over packed using a backpack and briefcase.  Need only two pair of pants (one wearing,  one in the pack), three shirts (for variety), two T-shirts, three Ex-officio underwear in case of Montezuma’s revenge, three pairs of socks, two handkerchiefs, rain jacket, travel vest, and hat.  A Scottevest will be a good investment—I have purchased one on sale at QVC for about $60 including shipping and handling.  The same kind at the Scottevest site is over $150.  Great deal.  The Scottevest has over 22 pockets and is a traveler’s dream garment according to testimonials at various travel sites.  Next time it will be only the pack and less than 25 pounds for sure.
Need to reduce OTC meds but the Benedryl came in handy due to the constant air stream from the air nozzle on the flight over.  Motrin definitely came in handy and often.
Did not need the coffee/tea stuff.
Walking to and from the Artillery Kaserne at GAP in order to get onto the internet guaranteed me at least six miles/day. 
If we want to do the Bacharach bed & breakfast, need to book months in advance.  Do better planning and book hotel rooms in advance.  Result is peace of mind (but give up spontaneity) and often better room rates.  This better room rate advice from Darla.
October, despite travel advertising, is NOT shoulder season.  Germans are still in vacation mode until about the third week of October so lodging is still hard to get without reservations and is expensive.
Every time I ended a meal with a clean napkin, I would put it in my pocket to serve as an emergency Kleenex or emergency toilet paper.  Of course, it could also help in starting a survival fire if needed.
I approach things from a survivalist mindset so it is difficult to let go of traveling with stuff that could be used just in case.  I find that knowledge is the best prep but it will be a constant battle when planning travel to leave something of utility behind.  A good example is a knife—can’t be taken in carry-on but is useful in all kinds of situations.  I always carry a knife (have carried one for fifty years) and felt naked without one in Europe but I got by without one.  Of course, I could use dental floss for food cutting and could have ground an edge on a credit card with a stone for a cutting instrument in a survival situation. 
The spork, cup, cutting board made from a milk carton were not used.
 Micro-fiber towel set not used. 
Clothespins not used.
 Shower clogs not used. 
Laundry set (other than soap) not used. 
Glucose meter not used but necessary.
UV pen used but just for edification.  All places had indications of bathroom cleaning problems but were within my personal tolerance.
Shopping bag used.
Walking staff used.
Umbrella used.
Kindle used.
Cell phone stand used.
Walking GPS used some.
Headlamp and flashlight used, especially when treating  the blister.
Sewing/fix-up kit not used.
Infrared alarm broken.
Notebooks/pens used.
Airplane camping gear/arm hammock not used (other than Cocoon pillow which was used extensively) but that was due to type of aircraft.
Blister kit used.
Extension cord used but need to get another model as this cheap one did not give more than one outlet for use which defeats the whole idea of an extension cord so I could charge multiple items at once.
Second backpack used extensively.
Filter water bottle not used.
First aid kit not used.
Spare glasses not used but necessary.
Power kit used (phone, Kindle, etc chargers).
Long-john silks not used due to type of aircraft.
Toiletry kit used.
Small six inch telescope not used.
Motrin used often.
Silk boxers not used.  Silk sleeping shirt used.
Thermarest pad not used.
More than enough Ziploc bags.
Backpack stuffed and weighed in at 25 pounds including 3.4 pounds for the airplane sleeping gear.
Briefcase stuffed and weighed in at 12 pounds.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 03:41:56 AM »

:clap  Awesome report, Dan. :ty
There is much to learn from your concise information.
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 07:05:30 AM »

I modified the October 13th write-up to include something observed I simply forgot to add.  Don't know how I forgot it.  This is the absolute swearable truth.  Here's the modification:

Also checking in were a group of guys (either a band or fraternity guys) I saw earlier at the train station.  It was very easy to spot them as one was wearing all black except for a bright fluorescent pink and green tutu.  I didn’t see any band instruments (just suitcases) so I assume he was a pledge or lost a bet.  A guy walking around wearing a fluorescent pink and green tutu is something memorable for sure. 

Magispook

• Mod Team

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »

I am enjoying this so much. I am only up to October 4th and I got to run and get some things done.

I shall return and read more later.

Glad you had a great trip.
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 10:59:09 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement.  Keep in mind this is raw info without explanations or expanded observations.  I will clean 'em up when time permits and with questions/inputs from ya'll.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »

Haven't done much writing due to having work (yippee!).  Did read some sad news for me in that it is official that about 150 civilian jobs supporting the military will be lost in Germany so it looks like my time(s) in Germany will be purely as a tourist henceforth.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »

Sorry to hear that Dan, but things do change from time to time and they could change again in your favor. :fingerscrossed
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 05:54:59 AM »

I shouldn't be so selfish.  The drawdown is due to the drawdown in Afghanistan which I support.  Also the Cold War is over (so they say) so there is no need (or budget) to keep so many troops in Germany.  Too bad I didn't know about Garmisch decades ago when I would have had a better chance.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 07:58:15 PM »

Occasionally I take a look at an ex-pat forum for Germany called toytowngermany.com to keep a bit in the know about living there.  It appears things are getting a bit more onerous there tax and govt intrusion-wise so it may be a good thing I can't find a job there.  The fall-back of taking a vacation there may be the best situation after all.  A friend just traveled to her mother's birthplace in England (first time overseas) and was astounded at the control their local councils have over the citizenry such as the necessity to park your car in a designated car park blocks away from your home, onerous taxes, etc.  Having lived a portion of my life out of the country, I'm not surprised as it is always great to get back to the USA.  We Americans don't know how good we actually have it.  So new plan is to somehow earn enough to take a couple months off to rent a vacation apartment over there.  Right now, I need both my kidneys so that funding option is out.  But that is my modified goal now unless, of course, I can get a job working for the US military there which just ain't gonna happen.  If I can manage that and following coordination with the wife, I can make an open invitation for OCHers to stop by at the vacation home and save beaucoup bucks on lodging if you come.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:07 PM »

:hug Funny how "the best" often works out of situations in which things don't turn out exactly the way we've been wanting. :giggle

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 08:47:26 PM »

A thought just hit me Dan. :gotcha It is related to a project that AWE takes part in...

Perhaps you'll find some interesting and even paying clients here stateside who are longing to have photographs of a German ancestor's final resting place, in the cemeteries that are located near where you'd be staying, or from GIs who'd like to have a current photo of towns they served in way back in WWII or whenever. Just thought I'd start some wheels grinding on ideas. :giggle

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »

Something to file away in the ol' gray matter for future reference.  Thanks.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 11:06:49 AM »

I started a travel blog called Wanderlust - An Old Fart's Perspective. Link below.  Feel free to take a look.  Hope you enjoy and, if so, follow and link to friends.  Thanks to Jollyquilter for mentoring.  Don't know if I should link to OCH as it may cause greater work for CL trying to screen prospective members. 

http://wvtreehanger1955.blogspot.com/

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »

:gthumbsup1: I enjoyed reading your blog.

It was an very easy read  :)

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »

Thanks.  Report writing is part of my meat world job.  I'm trying to get away from that stilted style so folks can read without feeling it necessary to have a dictionary nearby.  I may even sneak some prep stuff in there at some point but most folks won't recognize it as such.   :giggle
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up