Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Germany Trip 2012  (Read 3517 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Germany Trip 2012
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »

I have decided to do another trip to Germany this summer.  The plan was for my wife to go with me so we could have the honeymoon we never had after 36 years of marriage.  Not going to happen.  Our niece who lives with us will be a senior in high school next year and is a member of the high school band.  The schedule she has this summer is ridiculous in my mind but the bottom line is that there is no way a vacation can be taken  for more than ten days which is not enough time for my wife and I to do a thirty day exploration of the country and not even worth the effort given travel time using military Space A travel could easily eat up ten days in waiting time.  My daughter graduates from high school in two months and is already slated to attend the local univeristy.  Her summer is already filled with church stuff.  She is heavily involved with an organization called Young Life.  I truly believe due to health and other world issues that THIS summer is the time to go.  So, I'm going on a super budget walk-about in Germany.  I am and will be writing an e-book about the adventure focusing on the perspective of one in his mid-50's.  That's why I haven't been posting so much.  I have written the pre-trip portion as a draft and anyone who wants to read it is welcome to PM me with an email address and I will send to them with the request for constructive criticsm and observations on writing style, what you'd like to see more or less of, etc.  I'll be doing a lot of tent camping so I hope my back will be up to it.  I'm working on itinerary research at present.  My hope is that I'm wrong about timing and we will go next year and I will have already scoped out the good and bad places in advance.  Also, if anyone has any experience with coastal north Germany, I would appreciate any advice.  My wife is from a seacoast village so I must explore coastal potentials as well although being a hillbilly I am partial to mountains. I am toying with the idea of a few days camping in the Bayernwald which is a national forest on the Czech/Germany border--my German language ability will get a real test there.  There are so many places to go and only one month to do it.  Because I am self-employed, the month of vacation means a month of no income so I need to get a lot of value out of the trip.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
Re: Germany Trip 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:16:14 AM »

Magispooks
It does get aggravating  life get in the way of thing you plan.
I do hope you and your DW will be able to work in the Honeymoon trip.
Good luck on the e-book.  I will be looking forward to reading about your trips.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:42:46 AM »

After reviewing options, I've decided on the more costly option of not taking my tent w/accessories.  That will reduce pack weight by about twelve pounds and significantly reduce back pain from sleeping on the ground (no hammocking in Germany).  There are still ways to reduce expenses and this decision will increase costs about $200.  I believe I made the right decision--what good is a vacation if you hurt all during it?

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »

Your decision is very understandably Mr.M.
  Old bones and hard ground do not go well together.  :giggle

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »

Spent the last few hours paring down pack weight. Lots of stuff I wanted to take was struck off the list. You know preppers--they want to be ready for just about everything so it's a leap of faith for me to go to almost bare bones packing.  Decided not to use my bugout bag (backpack) which is only about 25 pounds and has lots more in terms of survival gear but not much room for what I'm taking.  So, I have it down to a daytrip sized carry-on backpack plus an electronics sized bag. Total is 28 pounds for thirty days. A few pounds of that is food. I don't plan on buying any souvenirs so theoretically pack weight should be less upon return. I plan on doing lots of walking and there will be a change in eating habits so Magispook weight should be less as well. At least, that's the theory..........  :)

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 06:13:27 PM »

One thing I am almost sure of even with the pack down sized, you will be able to handle most every
thing that come your way.
 I think you have a bit of the MacGyver syndrome.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:30:16 PM »

Chloe, you just brought back a pleasant memory.  My brothers-in-law are Korean and I bought them each a nice Swiss Army knife last time I was in Korea (early 90's).  The show MacGyver was very popular then (you should hear MacGyver in Korean) and the gift knives were extremely popular (so much so that one knife was stolen even though I had his name inscribed on it).  Swiss Army knives were called "MacGyver knife" by just about everyone.  Too bad TSA won't allow me to put one in my carry-on.  I'll buy a cheap steak knife or something over there if I find I really need a knife.  I have a plastic utensil set with a plastic knife with serrated blade.  Hopefully that will do.  I can always use dental floss as a knife substitute to slice cheese.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »

Stick me with a fork.  I'm done.  Just got a letter from the university my daughter will attend.  She will receive the WV Promise scholarship and the Scholars Waiver.  I paid into a prepaid college plan (now a 529 plan) when she was four.  All those incomes total only about 45% of the costs.  I cannot justify the projected $2500 cost of the trip to Germany and the loss of a month's income while there.  I was really pushing for this trip as I believe Congress will axe the military Space A entitlement within a year so there goes my free travel.  I refuse to go into debt for college so nose to the grindstone, etc.  Too bad....the backpack is already loaded.  Will have to call to cancel my reservation at Garmisch.  Maybe a few days camping this summer here in good 'ol WV instead. 

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »

:uhoh   :( 

cassBme

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 12:55:21 PM »

I'm sorry you have to cancel your trip. I remember those college expenses very well even with scholarships and grants, it's expensive. Oldest DD's last year was also youngest DD's first year, ouch.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »

It's my fault.  I got my degrees while in the military where I paid tuition when necessary (I tested and was awarded credit through CLEP and DANTES for lots of core classes for free).  It never occurred to me that tuition does not cover room and board.  After her freshman year, she may decide to live right here with us (or not).  If she does, all we have to pay is tuition which is already paid for by the scholarships and 529.  It's just this first year where we will have the increased burden.  I'm hoping Congress doesn't take away our Space A privileges.  On the other hand, if I can save up enough, we can get commercial flights to and from Europe next summer.  Now that all I have left is mortgage debt, I refuse to willingly go back into the debt abyss.

taylor

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:06:17 AM »

You are very wise not to go in dept Spook. Sorry that you DDs plans had to be changed. I know that anything that affects our kids negatively is especially hard on parents. There is a lot of be said about teaching our kids financial responsibilities. I applaud you for that :gclap2.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »

Although devastated at present, I believe if I have a very good summer I may be able to go in the Fall IF Congress doesn't kill Space A and budget allows.  Gives me time to pare down the pack in the interim.  We live in the city where my daughter will attend university and we could just make her stay at home but in talking with folks of various age and experience to include local students who did stay at home, it appears the year in the dorm will be good for her as an introduction to living on your own and compromise with roommates who are actually her best friends already.  During my nine months of tech school in Mississippi, I had 21 roommates altogether (yes, I had a long tech school in comparison to most others but that was the length of the schooling).  I learned the art of compromise which gave me a leg up for marriage.   :giggle

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »

Sorry about the delay.
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »

Just came back from the freshman orientation where I learned my contribution may not be as huge as anticipated.  Possibility that I could go in June after all but I've already canceled my discount lodging in Garmisch and the other concerns still apply.  Gonna have to think on this.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »

Three and a half months to go and counting.  Hope the Eurozone doesn't implode before (or during, or after) the trip.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 06:48:44 AM »

Back as of midnight.  Lots of catching up to do in the meat world and here as well.  Will post when opportunity presents.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »

In the process of writing up my travel journal which is pages long.  Will do initial write-up, then clean it up for grammar, clarity, etc.  It will eventually get rolled into the ebook.  One thing I have concluded is that having a prep mindset (in terms of stuff taken)  was more a negative than a positive.  I had a 25 pound pack which I believe I can knock 5 pounds from on the next trip and the 12 pound briefcase will not even go so that's about 17 pounds not going the next trip.  There are things you have no choice in taking but there are others and work-arounds that will be hard for a prepper to give up but can be done.  Knowledge in this case is more important than stuff.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 03:31:11 PM »

Magispook I am glad you had a good trip and are home safe and sound.

Good luck taking lbs. even oz, off your pack.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »

:congrats on a successful journey and :4u welcome home, traveler~! :gfriends1:

Thanks for the insight on the prep mindset being more of a weighty problem than a plus. Interesting perspective. I always over-pack too. ::)

:good2cu I join the others in looking forward to hearing your stories.  :gthumbsup1:
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up