Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Fried Canned Potatoes  (Read 8457 times)

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
Fried Canned Potatoes
« on: August 06, 2011, 04:52:16 PM »

I had canned some potatoes a while back.

Last night  I opened a jar and drained the liquid.
I mixed up (in a gal plastic bag) flour and corn meal  (equal parts)  added salt and some garlic pepper.
Mixes together and added the potatoes. Shaking to coat.
I put them in the bag in the frig. Till it was time for dinner.

When it was time to cook them I put a small amount of oil in the skillet
and fried the coated potatoes.
 I only had to brown the coating as the potatoes were already cooked
They tasted  like potato coated wedges.

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
Re: Fried Canned Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

I've fried them many times but never put the cornmeal and flour on them.  Sounds good, I'll have to give them a try!

PatS in CA

• OCH Family
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »

Do you like the texture of potatoes you've canned at home?  I ask because I have a pressure canner that I am almost brave enough to try (as my water-bath experiments have turned out okay!) and we just harvested almost 100 pounds of potatoes.  We live in an area with a VERY high water table, so no root cellar!  So how to preserve those yummy taters???  Canning is a good way to go?

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »

I like them canned.  I fry them, put them in soups, make hashbrowns.  If I don't get potatoes put in the roast I put a jar of the canned in for 1/2 hour to get warm and soak up the juices.  I know there are other things I do but can't think of what right off the bat.

As chloe said, they're already cooked, so however you fix them it's quick.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »

PatS As far as taste -- Have you every eaten store bought can potatoes?

That is about what they taste like home canned too.

I hope you try using your presser canner I think when you get started you will love using it.
Just follow the instructions and you should not have any trouble.

I pressure can almost everything I put up.

CW by using the half and half flour and corn meal it give them a little extra crunch.
Sort of like fried okra the crunch.

PatS in CA

• OCH Family
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »

Hi Chloe!

(I love your name.  When I was in fifth grade our teacher read us an adventure book and the heroine's name was Chloe.  I wish I remembered what the title was!)

No, I've never had commercially (or other) canned potatoes.  But I found a can and we're going to try them tomorrow to see how we like them.  If we do, OUT COMES THE PRESSURE CANNER!   Watch out!

Thanks for your encouragement,
Pat

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »

Pat, my DH likes to can quarts of green beans and potatoes so they are already to go for dinner.
Yes, my DH canned green beans for several years. :giggle We prefer the plain ol' white Idaho potatoes or any of several red potatoes, rather than Russets or Yukon Gold, which seem too dry or something. So make sure you do a bit of experimenting to find out the various ways they turn out.
                                :goodluck
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

PatS in CA

• OCH Family
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:45:24 AM »

Thank you, CL.  We grew yukons, some reds (Norlands?), and some purples.  Half our crop turned out to be reds.  Many of them are small, though, pullet egg sized.  I've heard the small ones don't keep as well, so do you think I should try those for the great canning experiment?

Our green beans are flowering, so we'll be canning some of those, too, I hope.  I bought an All-American back when I was employed.  I worked such long hours I didn't use it, so now that I am between jobs I can pull it out of mothballs and get started.

Thank you!

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 12:59:14 PM »

Pat....that is great and by all means just get started. Even if you are just canning water for your first try. Just do it!!! You will love it and once you get started you will love being in charge of what you cn next! :ghurray2:
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:40:01 PM »

Such an adventure, Pat. :giggle The little potatoes will do great. Any that are as large as an egg should be cut in half. Just go by the Ball Blue Book. If you don't have one, let me know and I'll look the times up in mine, or check to see if the basic times are available from Ball Co online. What elevation are y'all at? We're at 2600 feet or so, therefore we don't have to adjust for altitude. (the first point that matters is 3,000 feet)

Safety Tip:
Always position the Pressure Cooker so the emergency relief valve is at the point closest to the wall at the back of the stove.

Next thing you know, you'll be canning beef chunks, dried beans, and oh so much more.

Smart Canning Tip:
It is best to can foods individually, rather than to can Soups or Stews or other combinations. This saves on energy costs due to some foods, such as corn & meat (or meat broth) needing a longer processing time. The ingredients can be combined when you're ready to make up a combination dish. For this reason, I generally process food in pints & half-pints for just the two of us.

Now get that canner out, wash those jars, fill em up and PROCESS~! :yay
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

PatS in CA

• OCH Family
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:22:30 PM »

WooHoo!  I can hardly wait!

We're at 1400 ft. here, I think for water-bath we generally add 5 minutes to the time.  I have purchased mostly pint jars because it is just the two of us here.  No sense letting something turn green in the fridge!

We have several books, including the Ball book, but thanks for the offer.  We're swamped here until Monday, so maybe I'll look through the books this weekend and see if I have any questions for y'all. 

We are processing several chickens this weekend, and the next two weekends after that, so maybe I'll can some chicken meat.  No sense freezing EVERYTHING. 

Thanks so much!   :ghurray2:
Pages: [1] |   Go Up