Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Foodsaver jar sealer works just fine with Seal A Meal machine  (Read 2870 times)

Maeve

• like the perfect chord at imperfect times

I have just discovered that it works just fine with the generic vac sealer that I bought at Walmart!

See, I bought too much wheat recently and needed to find a way to store it.  Yes, I could have just gotten plastic bins, but that really doesn't make things easier for me since I store things downstairs.  It's easy enough to go fetch a jar of something, but not as easy to go downstairs, probably have to move things around to get to the bin, figure out which bin of wheat I'm getting into, open the bin, get some wheat, close the bin.  Plus, I have three different kinds of wheat!

So.  I figured mason jars would be easiest.  And Pappy vaguely remembered a jar sealer thingy.  We used to have Foodsaver machine, but we killed it and so bought the other version that Walmart had, the Seal A Meal.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles and conveniences of FS machines, but it works.  And from the old FS machine we had the tube thingy for the attachments, except it came with a marinating tray that we never used.  So, I found the wide mouth mason jar thingy on Amazon and ordered it and it works just fine my machine.

But I think I'm gonna have to buy extra jars!

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
Re: Foodsaver jar sealer works just fine with Seal A Meal machine
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:40:26 PM »

Yep - they work like a champ on the Seal-A-Meals!  I only had a seal-a-meal and then bought both sizes of the jar sealers to go with it.  I've since killed the seal-a-meal and replaced it with a real FoodSaver.

As far as wheat storage, I would think it would take an enormous amount of jars to store buckets of wheat in.  I'm looking at my wheat buckets and trying to envision how many jars it would take to store it.  Can you get the small frosting buckets from a local store (from Wal-Mart bakery)?  They are rectangle shaped, measure about 10" x 11" and are about 13" high.  They've got a snap lid and plastic carry handle.  They may work better for shorter term storage.

Or maybe you could buy the gallon or half-gallon mason jars for your wheat?
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

chloe

• Mod Team
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »

On the bucket at Wal-Mart -- Our Wal-Mart don't give them away any more.
They recycle them.

One place you could check for gal. size jars it at a thrift store.
 Like the one pickles come in but by the time the thrift store get them all the pickle smell are
gone.

Maeve

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:20:22 PM »

I don't really think I could carry a half-gallon sized jar of wheat, let alone a gallon size.  I'd have trouble moving frosting buckets too, even if I could find some place willing to give me any.  our Walmart doesn't have a bakery. 

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »

Sounds like quarts will be the perfect solution for your storage issues, then!  Happy vacuuming! 

And this is a perfect use for 'used' lids!  I've not had any problem with 'used' lids for vacuum sealing.  Sometimes, a lid (new or used) doesn't want to seem to seal, no matter how many times you try it... I read a tip somewhere, place TWO lids on the jar, seal, and then remove the top lid.
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

chloe

• Mod Team
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »

Good Piint about the lids NG

I don't have have a regular jar sealer just the wide mouth.

I also have a pump and seal. (among others)
With the pump'n'seal you can use most any jar the has a vaccum seal type top.
Another good thing to is it dosen't need electricity 

Here is the addy which you can see how it works.

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

Maeve

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »

I've had troubles with Kerr lids.  Some of them are used, others not.  I have to go downstairs and check everything I did!
Pages: [1] |   Go Up