Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezerville 9  (Read 905 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Geezerville 9
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »

Work has been slow these past six months.  I have had about 85 hours of my standard work since the beginning of the year.  Got about 25 hours of work come in yesterday.  Yippee.  Good thing I pay mortgage months in advance and have preps plus my piddling military retirement.  On Wednesday my accountant called and asked if I still do private investigations which I don't since it is a real PITA tax-wise.  He needed a lead accomplished that day and was desparate.  So, after about 15 years, I did some private work just to help him out but which will most likely generate more such work given I turned up info that will greatly help his client and the quality and turnaround were excellent if I do say so myself.  BUT, wanderlust has set in again and tonight I've been prowling the internet looking for international employment, especially in Germany or England.  I also half-heartedly looked for work locally and I have come to realize my mindset of years ago that I will learn whatever job the employer needs me to do no longer works.  Employers want to be able to plug a potential employee right into the work environment with minimal training and vetting.  Hidden in that is the fact that older potential employees are filtered out of the running by the way requirements are set up.  That includes all the government jobs I looked at for overseas work.  So, I have queried my Facebook friends to tap into the hidden job market.  There are at least two of them who may be in a position to provide possible contacts now that they are aware.  I suspected the job market was not the best for older folks but I am rapidly finding out that might actually be the case.  Doesn't mean I shouldn't try--only means I have to be more creative.  If you want me to do something, tell me I cant do it.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

KatieMouse

• OCH Family
Re: Geezerville 9
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 03:44:35 PM »

Yep, the job market is not being kind to those of us too young to retire & too old for most employers. Sis & I are trying to invent something. Don't know what, but something. We both hear "you are so talented! Why are you working here?" but how do we make a living with our talents? We are trying to reinvent ourselves or turn said talents into $. Its one thing to be creative, its another trying to be creative to survive. I like your "tell me I can't do it" line. With that kind of attitude, we will come up with a job,or whatever...

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »

Unfocusable Lens – This post will most likely seem to jump around a bit and so embodies its title.  We got word last night from my college freshman niece that one of her good friends will be coming home from Afghanistan early – in a box.  IED I believe.  He had a few months left and he, my niece, and all their friends had planned to have a beach party when he got back.  He was one of the local high school’s (the one my daughter attends) star athletes but chose to go into the military instead of taking a sports scholarship offered by colleges interested in his talent.  He was the person who gave the eulogy when his girlfriend, a high school senior, died while driving to school two years ago.  Someone posted on a Facebook page that at least they are together again.  So the lens is focused at the micro level.  And we again lose another young’un to the war machine.  Quite honestly, I didn’t know him but he is a brother-in-arms and I weep at his untimely demise.  Makes me move the lens further over to the macro and question the circumstances leading to his demise.  He was stationed in Vilsek, Germany, and deployed to A-stan.  Did he volunteer or was his unit pulled off the shelf and plugged into theater?  (adjust lens)  What if he did not go on patrol that day, would the fire base have been mortared and he would have become a casualty that way as in he was going to die that day one way or the other? (adjust lens)  Why are we there?  (adjust lens) Why are we still there given the current government there is corrupt and taking advantage of a losing (as I see it because of shifting tribal loyalties) adventurism--I thought we were going to pull out of the middle east ASAP? (adjust lens)  Why did we first go in? (adjust lens)  How gullible and consequently culpable has the American public been to allow us to get into any middle east situation?  (adjust lens) Are religions manufactured to give one group advantages over another group?  (adjust lens again)  When I was young I saw the world as pretty much black or white since my limited life experience and counsel of others told me it was such.  After I became an investigator and as I get more life experience, the world is never black or white.  It is always varying and shifting shades of gray so the lens must be in constant adjustment to fit the moment.  I cannot set it at just one setting and look at the world since the view would be distorted save that moment in time where I had set it at that moment’s setting. I’m hoping the Westboro Baptist vultures don’t come here to torment this kid’s family and friends.  (adjust lens again).  Perhaps the necessity to constantly readjust the lens is a positive thing lest one stays at one setting and cannot adapt but it sure is a drag.  My niece was to come over today but she has secluded herself in her dorm room.  She called off work the second day of her work career due to the circumstances.  We’ll let her have some time to herself today but she will be over here tomorrow one way or the other.  Tough lesson to learn.  Only much later will she learn that the lens constantly requires adjustment.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 05:54:43 AM »

:/ :coolsmiley: :hug
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"
Pages: [1] |   Go Up