Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Lightly  (Read 1030 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Travel Lightly
« on: September 11, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »

My recent trip to Germany convinced me that one really only needs one carry-on bag--just one bag for a trip.  A judiciously packed backpack or carry-on sized bag will actually make travel life easier.  I just read a good site dedicated to the concept at onebag.com.  Perhaps we can put together some travel tips for the OCH crowd which should prove to be a bit of a challenge given we are of a prepper mentality--could be some perception shifts and reconfiguring of BoBs result.  Travel tips anyone?
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
Re: Travel Lightly
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 03:42:24 PM »

I've been a H-U-G-E fan of one-bag travelling for years.  I love the fact that I've got no waiting in lines a the baggage carousels, can usually beat crowds to rental car desks, etc. 

I think the biggest hurdle for folks to overcome is just plain packing too many clothes.  Really, do you need a completely DIFFERENT outfit for each day?  Or can you pack 1 additional pair of pants/jeans (plus the ones you are wearing) and 2-3 other shirts, enough socks and underwear and small sized toiletries and be good to go?
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:16:50 PM »

I totally agree with NG. Unless you are attending a wedding or something there is just no need to have the extra clothes.

My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »

This was the second time I packed my small thermos on a trip to Germany--didn't use it either time although it does have utility, just not for this type of travel.  My inflatable hangers and sheet soap did get use however and the inspector didn't want me to take them apart like the thermos.  I also packed way too many snacks and a small fleece blanket which I didn't use.  I did not use my travel phrase book or the other German travel book so they no longer will go with me on subsequent trips.  I also did not use my travel door lock or padlock.  I packed a fleece vest and light jacket that saw no real use.  These items do have utility so the lesson I learned is to consider your destination and circumstances when packing.  Leaving the above items at home would have freed up room and reduced weight of my pack.  As it was, my carry-on was 18 pounds and the roll-along was 30 pounds.  My BoB is about 23 pounds in contrast.   I read of a neat way of packing called "bundling" which is intriguing.  Link is below.  Anyone use that method?

http://www.onebag.com/pack.html

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:31:46 AM »

Didn't realize there was a name for this.  While I don't pack exactly in the bundling style, I roll my stuff, mainly.  But rather than just start rolling stuff, I lay socks, underwear, etc on a shirt as a core and then start rolling from there.  I'll have to try the true bundling method on my next trip.

When flying, I typically only pack one magazine, an ipod w/headphones, an empty aluminum water bottle (to fill inside the terminals), and a small fleece blanket.  Depending upon length of flight and/or plane changes, I may pack some small snacks.  This plus some clothes and minimal toiletries makes for a light bag and happy traveler!
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

Maeve

• like the perfect chord at imperfect times
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

We recently took a vacation to Las Vegas, two adults and a ten year old boy.  We each had small rolling carry-on style bags and small shoulder style bags.  The flight out of Philly was packed full and they took our luggage - only Phoenix wasn't our final destination.  We told the stewardess that, but either she didn't understand or the order didn't go all the way through and our luggage was left in Phoenix.  Thankfully there are a lot of flights between there and Vegas and so we didn't have to wait long for our luggage.

I guess my point is, flights are so very crowded lately, depending on when you board, they might check your luggage anyway.

As to packing:  We packed for a week, knowing we would wear some outfits or pieces twice (at least)  But I still needed to put my make-up case in Dev's luggage :)  I didn't worry about creases 'cos I knew there was an iron in the room.  We didn't worry about toothpaste or shampoo/conditioner (or trying to find teeny bottles for such things) we just planned to buy it out there - we stayed on the Strip and walked to the CVS.

I had my Nook, my ipod/headphones, the camera and all the dongly bits to charge those things.  I didn't even use my ipod because I wasn't alone.  I had knitting things to entertain me and had the knitting patterns on the Nook.

We all rolled things to pack them, that worked pretty well.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »

Got two of these collapsible mugs (one for me and one for my wife).  They are huge when completely opened but collapse to about 1.5 inches tall.  This will find its way to my light travel bag ('cause I gotta have some bug-out stuff in there simply because) for use as a gigantic mug, soup bowl, fruit or salad bowl, etc. for when I buy food at my destination's food stores/stalls rather than carry too much food in the bag.  It has a lid so you can store your purchase in the mug without bugs getting at the contents.  Or use it as a storage for your pocket stuff at night at your lodgings.  It doesn't weigh much and can be hooked onto the bag with a carabiner if necesssary.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-79202-Collapsible-Fairshare/dp/B002YT2COM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316279765&sr=8-1
Pages: [1] |   Go Up