Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 18  (Read 14881 times)

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
Re: Ponderings 18
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 11:51:30 PM »

Better hurry and get a patent on that idea before someone else does. LOL

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »

I'm trying to visualize (why I am, I'm not sure) the logistics and gravity involved in getting proper flow from output point into the bag for the ladies .... Such contortions while driving are sure to attract some attention, don't ya think?!? :lol

The window washing option could be your big selling point, though! 
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2011, 05:58:32 AM »

It could just be stress manifesting itself in an unusual way except this auditory stuff started a few weeks before my dad's first hospitalization.  I woke up to a knocking noise as if someone was knocking on the bedroom door in addition to hearing a movie sound track.  I got up and checked the girls' rooms and TVs to see if someone accidentally left one on and to look for a source of the noise(s).  It woke me out of a vivid dream. I have vivid dreams all the time now.  Even awake, I often see various scenes like I was looking at a power point presentation at high speed that has no common theme when I close my eyes and take a breather.  At present there are no indications of paranoia so I'm just going to monitor but if I start doing unusual things (even for me) I believe I will ask for some mental health screening.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »

He's giving up.  I can tell.

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »

Magispook, he has been through a lot, is on medication and in a strange place which all can contribute to confusion and depression. I am still praying for him.
Try to get enough rest and eat well so you have the strength to deal with the situation.

NavyGal

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2011, 07:44:40 PM »

I think there comes a time when folks who have struggled with an illness, injury, disease, etc for quite a while do just reach a point of being tired of it all and ready for things to end.  It's so hard for us to watch.  But, many times, I've seen those very same people rally, get back some sembalence (sp?) of their lives.  Like Roses said, there's many factors that are playing against your dad right now.

But you know your dad, how he reacts to things.....  It may well be that he is so very tired of this journey.  I'm still keeping you and your dad in my prayers - A prayer of peace during this uncertain time, regardless of how this episode goes for your dad.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2011, 10:28:45 PM »

Thanks all.  My hope is for him to be comfortable and without pain.  He's been dealing with C-diff and VRE for the past two months in additon to this recent hip fracture and he cannot eat or get physically comfortable.  Tonight is the first time I have seen him take in 350 calories (Ensure Plus) and manage to keep it down/in for the past nine days.  Mix in unpredictable bouts of dementia and he gets little respite other than his kids visiting him multiple times a day in support and sleep periods of about fifteen minutes in duration if he's lucky.  I keep in mind others have it much worse and should take some comfort that things could be a lot worse.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »

Magispook.....pleas e don't worry about having to rationalise all this when you come here. You are among friends who care and are  :pray  for you and your dad.

We want you to be able to come here when you need to and say what ever you need to say. There is no judgement that goes on inside the OCH doors. So I will continue to pray for strength  and healing for your dad and a quiet  peace for you and your siblings.

:hug
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »

many many  :pray for you and your family and Dad.    it's hard i know. 

:hug

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:05 PM »

ICU since 0800.  Docs not optimistic.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2011, 07:17:24 PM »

I am praying for comfort for him and peace for you.

Fiber and Flea Village

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2011, 06:52:56 AM »

Survived the night.  Surprisingly he was not cold while I was freezing in the ICU room--he's always cold.  Stayed with him till 0600 when my sister came to relieve me.  Sundowners, so he was  up all night.  I got about 1.5 hours sleep cumulatively if that and that covers the last 24 hours for me.  Gonna go to bed and recharge for whatever today brings.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2011, 12:43:38 PM »

Thanks for taking a minute during all of this to let us know how things are going. I am continueing to pray and I am hoping you and he can get some rest today.

Take care of yourself  :hug and get some sleep.

Fiber and Flea Village

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »

Still lingering and in pain.  Not much I can do but advocate for him.  Gonna wear long johns when I stay with him tonight.  A few doors down two families have to make the decision whether or not to remove from life support.  BTDT, no fun at all.  One clan has turned out about 30 family members and the other clan close to that.  The waiting rooms are overwhelmed as there is a 2 person/patient visit policy.  One thing about us hillbillies, when the call goes out all who can show up in support.  Mind you, with that many family members in one location at a highly emotional event, fussin' and fightin' are soon to follow. 

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »

Dan, please know we are with you as you wait with your Dad. :hug :angel
Rest as you can, and be comforted that you are keeping him from being alone.
ICU is generally a rather chilly place, but do make sure your blood sugar isn't
getting low at times. Perhaps you'd benefit from a few short walks to warm up.
I'm sure those good ol' West Virginia long johns will be a blessing.

Your Dad, you and your family continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. :pray
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »

adding my prayers with the rest of them  ... those short walks can be a blessing. 

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2011, 11:41:40 AM »

I am continueing to pray. And even though you feel as though you are not doing anything, just remmeber what CL said, you are keeping him from being alone.  He feels your presence even when he cannot talk to you. And that means he fells your love.

I hope you can feel ours,  :love for we are all there with you.

Fiber and Flea Village

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »

Thanks everyone.  My brother just called.  Moving out of ICU to step-down.  Vitals steady, mind not, intense hip pain a mystery to be solved.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »

Just documenting another strange (to me) occurance.  Prior to being moved to step-down, Dad had significant unexplained atrial fibrillation which was quickly controlled with meds.  After he got to his new room, all of us kids were there at the same time.  As my sister went to his bedside to let him know she had to leave and without touching anything at all, his big IV bag dropped off the hanger and onto the floor.  I immediately retrieved the bag and took steps to avoid contamination of the line.  We called the nurse and she replaced the entire setup.  I looked at the IV bag and it appeared to me that there may be some kind of manufacturing defect such that the seam holding the bag at the top was not as strong as it should be.  Fast forward to this evening prior to my wife and I leaving (again all kids present).  Dad smiled a bit which is the first time for a great while.  His nurse comes in to check his telemetry and asked if he had been moving a lot.  No.  My brother overheard the nurses at the desk talking about atrial fibrillation.  I checked with them as I left and they confirmed.  They were going to treat with an IV digoxin which is fast acting.  Woo woo part:  my mom died in that hospital twenty-six years ago.  We have interpreted some things happening at Dad's place over the years as happening under her influence.  For an educated guy who makes a living using cold hard facts, I retain some basic hill superstition despite that education.  Interpretation of it is that I cannot interpret.  Documented for whatever reason.

NavyGal

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2011, 06:52:42 AM »

Magispook - thank you for the update.  So glad to hear of a bit of improvement for your Dad - but even more than that, I'm glad all the kids can be around during this time. 

I think that there is much more to our world than 'cold hard facts' and you may never fully understand all these occurances that seem out of place or strange.  I think the best part is that you are aware enough - sensitive enough to these events.

I continue to have you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 |   Go Up