Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 18  (Read 15247 times)

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Ponderings 18
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »

:hug ...that's not a pity hug, it's a 'because this is hard, thankless & exhausting and I understand' hug. You're wished LOTS of luck, and a few prayers are thrown in as well. They can't hurt, might help. Doc & I have both worked in Nursing Homes so we truly understand what you're going through.

Please know as you share, you are helping others to feel less alone, and learn by example how to manage LIFE, like it or not. Its not impossible for us to have my MIL here to care for in the not too distant future. Why must there be so much DRAMA associated with elderly care? :gaah

Keep writing as you feel able Dan. It helps to get it out. It will help you appreciate yourself more in the future. Stay flexible... You're doing the right things, trust. :4u
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »

Magispook, sorry about your Dad and his problems. It is very common for elderly confused men to yank out their catheters. Maybe a Texas catheter or Attends would be better and prevent trauma until he is stable, less confused and feels comfortable with one. 
Still praying here.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2011, 02:17:46 AM »

Took Dad to Mon General where my brother works after he seemed to be in great pain compared to yesterday (fell about 30 hours ago at the nursing home).  He has a fractured hip.  He was given percoset so he is resting (sleeping) comfortably.  Just got home.  Hospital will call me tomorrow to discuss his situation.   When it rains it pours.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

cassBme

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2011, 12:43:21 PM »

Dan~ My heart goes out to you and your family. I remember very well when both my grandmothers health went down (I was fortunate to have them into my adult years) and also my dear sweet father in law. Prayers for you all.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »

Surgery scheduled tomorrow morning.  Doc has a good reputation and the procedure is minimally invasive.  Post-op for a few days at the hospital which has a reputation for excellent patient care but not as good for diagnostics.  Happy that's where he'll get his care.  Just got back.  Dad had another percoset just before I left and he's resting comfortably.  Thanks to all here for the support.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2011, 02:42:36 PM »

Hang in there. I am continueing to pray for your dad and you as well. I know you are not thinking about yourself at this time but please try and eat well and drink your water. It really makes a difference in how you feel when you are around a hospital.

Please continue to keep us informed about your dad's situation. We care.
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »

My thoughts and prayers are still with you, Dan.  Thank you for being so open with your situation - CL's right.... it may help others in a similar place (either now or in the future).  Please keep us up on what's going on with your dad's surgery tomorrow.

Like JQ said - try to remember to take care of yourself as well.
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »

Still praying here.  :pray

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »

Internet at home has been down the last 24 hours.  I'm using the hospital wifi.  Surgery went well without complication. He was lucid for about six hours after the surgery.  He even thanked all for being at the room.  Then (you knew there had to be a then) "sundowners" hit with a nasty venegence.  Very argumentative and delusional right now.  Has already tried to remove his catheter which must remain in place due to urine retention and the possible torn urethra from his last self-removal.  His nurses are in for a busy night and I beleive sedation will (historically) make it even worse.  I have a full day scheduled tomorrow with work interspaced with meetings and advocating for him.  In the Air Force we called challenges opportunity to excel.  I never did like opportunities to excel.  Regarding the Texas catheter, it wouldn't be appropriate as urine retention is the problem instead of incontinence.  I had to look it up.  Turns out I had designed something similar in my mind before and now cannot patent it as someone else beat me to it.  It could have utility for guys in a car bugout situation where you absolutely do not want to stop until you get to your destination.

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 02:13:58 AM »

So glad the surgery went well. Here's hoping and praying your Dad will heal physically and mentally.
I see a Texas cath won't work but I hope he doesn't pull it out again.  :No1

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »

What has been said about you posting helping some one ... they are right ... as it helps me at this time in my life ... you are going through a lot with your Dad; and both of yous are in my prayers ...  i go through with my hubby; ... there is a lot of difference  and yet similarities ... I do not work outside of the home so there fore i am able to care for hubby.  ... 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »

@theyd:  Thanks for your insight.  Having been the home care route now, I offer this advice:  You want to stay with him as you know time is short but you do need to take a few hours off when you think it safe to do so for your own sanity and to have better quality time with him as you will be somewhat refreshed.  The time off doesn't even have to be away from the house, just away from the situation by having someone sit with him while you recharge and/or share your feelings with a trusted person.  Easier to say than do, I know, but the advice is for free and the reward could be great.

NavyGal

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »

Thanks for the latest update.  Glad the surgery went well, but still thinking of you often during this time. 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »

Regarding the Texas catheter, my version invoved a smaller than normal condom, duct tape, and clear plastic tubing routed down the pants and through a hole in the floor of your vehicle....."honest officer, that wet trail down the road behind me is probably the air conditioning drain on the car".....

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 10:19:53 PM »

DUCT TAPE?   :lol

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2011, 08:39:15 AM »

:lol   OH MY!!! that just hit my funny bone ... Duct tape and all ...  :lol

NavyGal

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »

mmmmm - duct tape, tubing in pants .....  too much of a visual for me :calvin

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2011, 03:46:45 PM »

:calvin I hope there are no women traveling with you at this time.
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »

Oh dear.  :lol

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »

So am I to conclude a heavy duty gallon freezer ziplock bag, duct tape, and clear plastic tubing routed similarly would not be appropriate for the ladies?  I may have to rethink this ........ Depends are always an option but that's way too mundane and you have to carry diaper rash ointment.  With my method, a little rerouting of the tubing and pump assist (unless you have some seriously developed bladder muscle), you could wash your windshield while driving.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 |   Go Up