Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 18  (Read 13675 times)

theyd

• OCH Family
Re: Ponderings 18
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »

... I'd take him  We like the big dogs have two now and the one is getting really old.  do you know what kind he is? how old he is? short or long hair? 

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 06:12:36 PM »

Magispook - so sorry to hear that you've been up for such a long time.  It's bound to start affecting your health as well - but you know that from the sleep deprivation stuff you've been through....

I hope that your dad gets past this stage soon.  Keeping you in thoughts and prayers....
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »

I've doubled up on vitamins C and D.  On my way down for another hopefully only 12 hour shift.  Thanks for your concern.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 10:06:31 PM »

@theyd:  He's a short hair one year old neutered with gentle disposition.  All muscle and about 34 inches tall.  He goes to the pound Monday but we've heard he could be passed from the pound to a no kill shelter.  We're in Morgantown, WV, and the no kill shelter does not accept from the public, only from the pound.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 12:01:09 PM »

Banjo (aka the big nice dog) has a home.  My brother and he got along really well at Thanksgiving and my brother somehow managed to convince his wife it is time to get another dog.  Dad is coming out of the fog and becoming his grouchy self again.  Fewer accidents and his dog comes back today which should boost healing enormously if the dog behaves.

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »

good news on all counts.... glad your Dad is doing better.   I understand what it is kind of like as my hubby is in a bad way and he just went through a sprint of five days with only maybe 10 hours sleep and that all broken.   But you are doing a really good job.  my hat off to you  :hat

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 07:25:02 AM »

I broke a personal rule about publicly mentioning good news and so must pay the consequences.  Dad is slipping back into a fog.  His dog gets in the way in more than just an annoying way and cannot go back to foster friend without a life threatening ruckus by Dad.  Big dog (Banjo) did not work out and will go to a different county shelter that is a no kill.

NavyGal

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »

Still thinking about your situation, Magispook.  I hope you've managed to get some sleep and recharge your batteries a bit before having to deal with this downturn of events.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 02:43:40 PM »

So sorry ot hear about all that is going on in your life. You must take care as best you can and stay strong.   :pray For your father and for you as well.  :hug
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 09:45:01 PM »

We're keeping you and your Dad in our thoughts and prayers, Magispook.
Good news is important so please don't hold that back. :hug
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 05:11:12 PM »

Dad is hospitalized again.  VA this time which we are happy about as the patient care is good and they helped me dodge the Reaper a few years back so a lot of confidence in them.  At least two bacterial infections in addition to dehydration, etc.  They said our care of him was good but we simply did not have the resources or training to interpret symptoms and do something to fix them.

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »

.... sorry ...  :pray

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 12:11:34 AM »

I am  :pray for your father and for you. He is in a great place now and I agree the care is super. Dh had his open heart thru the VA. Although they sent him to UK Medical Center for the actual surgery.

Fiber and Flea Village

NavyGal

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 06:42:51 AM »

Keeping your family in prayers and am glad to hear that they've quickly found a couple of causes of what's causing your dad's 'offness'...

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »

SO glad the infections have been identified. Now real healing can begin.
He'll feel so much better. When Papa feels better, EVERYBODY feels better.
 :hug :)
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

shymom

• OCH Family
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »

I will continue to keep your family in my prayers.
The more you know, the less you need.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »

I put Dad in a nursing home today.  No improvement regarding mental confusion--it got much worse.  I will write about the whole experience when I can put my mind to it.  I have some guilt but not much at present knowing I have done the right thing.....it will really hit if/when he figures out he is in a nursing home.  Right now, he's physically at a nursing home where I live but our hopes are to get him in the WV Veterans Nursing Facility adjacent to the VA hospital.  It has rave reviews and is vet oriented.  There is a waiting list and I have yet to make contact with the admissions person due to the holidays schedule. I'll keep trying.  I'm very tenacious.  Folks, have that talk with your family about your wishes should you become incapacitated.  Let them know about advance directives as to what conditions must be met in order to pull (or not) you off life support, resuscitation efforts, etc.  You can get the documents to fill out for free from most hospitals.  Doing this now will reduce guilt and acrimony later.  I'm mentally very tired now or would write more about the journey in hopes some lessons and insights can be drawn.   Interesting side note about this whole experience is that I kept hearing the door to my house open and close when I was alone and no one was there (and the dog did not go into her typical barking frenzy) a few weeks before this journey began.  I have yet to ponder this door thing in terms of symbolic precognition or something else more mundane.  BTW, kudos to the Louis A. Johnson Veterans Administration Hospital in Clarksburg, WV.  Best and most dedicated staff you could ever have take care of you!

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »

My thoughts are with you during this time and decision. I am sure you did not make it on a whim so please do not beat yourself up. The emotional stress can wear you out at a time like this.  Take what time you need to rest and get your strength back.

:hug  :hug

Fiber and Flea Village

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »

Magispook, you have done all you could do to help your Dad. Now relax and let the experienced and trained people take over. No need for guilt as you are not equipped to care for him as you stated on 12/4/2110.

I once took in 2 confused ex-husband's  relatives for 6 weeks while other arrangements were being made. I got very little sleep and was worn to a frazzle. Even though I am a nurse, it was a huge challenge. They never seemed to sleep, so I know how you feel.

I hope and pray he will adjust and be happy in the NH.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »

No rest.  This morning at 0300 hrs got a call from the nursing home.  He pulled out his Foley with the bubble and was being transported to the ER.  I met him there and stayed with him until discharge around 1100.  Went home, worked some aspects of the Medicaid application I will have to make and tried unsuccessfully to sleep but did get some nourishment as I hadn't had a meal since 1900 the previous evening.  Got a call around 1600.  He had a busy day.  Fell, dismantled his catheter in the big dining room, actually made it out the door of the facility (the great escape), etc.  I saw him at 2000 tonight.  He was mostly sleepy but having a leg cramp....I placed a soft "moon boot" under his knees and massaged the painful thigh which gave him minimal relief.  I suggested a leg bag which the nurse agrees with and they will adjust his meds, schedule more vitals checks to keep an eye on him, and form a team to try to mitigate his problems.  I will be sure to be a part of the process but I absolutely have to work tomorrow so I can pay bills.  Wish him luck.  I could use some too. This Ponderings 18 is starting to look like a loose blog on this unwelcome adventure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 |   Go Up