Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 18  (Read 13677 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Ponderings 18
« on: September 10, 2010, 05:32:32 PM »

My Home County - Here's a link to a six and a half minute video of my home county by the local visitor's bureau.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqfPr-EPqlE&feature=player_embedded
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Magispook

• Mod Team
Re: Ponderings 18
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »

TV Screen Wash - Watched a Married With Children episode on my little seven inch screen HDTV.  Haven't watched the show in years but it used to be one of my favorites.  There's a little Al Bundy in all of us, especially us guys.  Was in the middle of a big gulp of water when it was remarked the best method for Al to cause critters to run away was to tie one of his socks to a stick and hold it in front of him.  I washed the little TV screen with water when I explosively laughed so hard.  Fortunately the TV survived without damage.  Haven't done that spray thing for years.  It felt good.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »

Follow the Trail - Am in the process of linking up with former colleagues from Wiesbaden during the early 90s.  Found them one by one by looking at their friends list on their Facebook page.  It's fun.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »

Just connected with my old commander via Facebook.  His third novel is being released this month.  We still have the baby quilt he and his wife gave our daughter when we adopted her.  He and his wife are a class act all the way.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »

Decision Time Rapidly Approaching - Haven't been posting much or having the chance to read as often as I typically do the last few days.  My 80 year old dad had a "seizure" and has been hospitalized since Monday.  They ended up installing a pacemaker but that is not the only problem they are trying to fix.  He also has a brain cyst and some other problems.  So the family has been pulling hospital duty and I have found it necessary to re-examine things since we decided to take him off life support eleven years ago.  It was the right decision then.  This time the dementia that has been hinting at us from the fringes has come to the forefront most likely because of the hospitalization.  We must think of what should be done if he doesn't get any better mentally as there is absolutely no chance of independent living right now.  My sister just called and said that right now he thinks my brother and I are in jail for trying to get him out of the hospital.  The road to recovery the last time also included similar "confusion" for a few months so history has added something extra to consider:  confusion or dementia?   I am the eldest and consequently must take the lead on this matter just like I did eleven years ago--Part and parcel of being the eldest child and defacto family leader.  My dad's roommate is blind and pretty much deaf.  A couple days ago an Ensure was delivered to him but unopened.  I walked over and opened it for him when I saw him searching for it with his hands.  I placed it in ready to drink position and he took it.  He only has pneumonia and has been blind since he was a child (another kid flung lime in his eyes during play) and pretty much rules his world at home or in his small hometown but he is at the mercy of strangers in the general public.  Goes to show you, you just think you have control of things.  Anyhow, I'm doing a lot of reflecting right now and that is something I really, really try to avoid so if my posts seem more bizarre than usual, that's probably the reason for it.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:14:12 PM »

Dan, my heart goes out to you. :hug This is not an easy time, especially for the eldest child, a position I'm very familiar with. ::)

The only advice I can offer is... Be true to yourself, and in so doing you'll be true to your Dad. These old-folks are pretty tough, and they generally run the show themselves at this time of life. Our challenge is to allow them to live by their own rules, rather than by our's. We honor our parents when we allow them to do that.

Dementia is a hard row to hoe, and it is our responsibility to love them even tho they may not remember us, or when they accuse us of some product of their imagination, or some other something that is detached from actual reality. We must make decisions to the best of our ability based on what they would expect from us, IF they were in their 'right mind'. Its tough. Other family members may not understand our decisions, and we may be unable to fully explain our reasons. Just trust yourself and remain true to YOU. This is a good time to be journaling your thoughts. :yes

You have my phone number and if there is anyway I can be of assistance, please let me know. Your Dad (and you) will be in my thoughts and prayers. :smihearts :pray :hug
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

KatieMouse

• OCH Family
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 12:18:43 AM »

Another eldest child sending hugs & prayers. Being in the hospital does odd things to folks & gets worse with age. The lights, the lack of normal schedule & daily routine messes with the mind.
My dad (also 80) was pretty strange during his spring stay in the hospital. He called me at home for a church meeting. Wanted to know why I wasn't in his room already & where eveyone was?! It was 1:30 AM. I convinced him that it was bit too late for a meeting. He agreed & called me back at 6 AM since he figured that was enough time for us to get our papers together. We laugh about it now, but the sleep deprivation from that month (for all of us) took months to fix. He did much better when we got him out of the hospital & into a rehabilitation home. They took great care there to keep curtains open during the day & closed with dim lights at night and keep up daily routines. Such a difference! We were getting worried about the confusion vs. dimentia till that point. We'd already had a taste of the later with mom.
CL is right - journaling about it, even if it is coming here to just talk about it helps. I would not have survived if I hadn't been able to come here & R'N to just babble when it got overwhelming. Make sure you get enough sleep & up those vitamins. Sounds a bit silly, but it makes a big difference.
Again -{{{hugs}}} and prayers.
Kathy

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 06:19:13 AM »

Thanks all.  I have experienced sleep deprivation during special training in the jungle back in the day.  After about 72 hours, I was hallucinating, seeing and hearing things that were not there, not eating or hydrating properly, etc.  It's no fun.  There are times when he is lucid according to my optimistic brother.  It just doesn't happen when I'm there but I'm a bit more objective.  He'll be going to the same rehab he was in eleven years ago.  They do wonders and I recently did a favor for the chief doc there.  We'll just have to deal with whatever the outcome is.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »

Magispook....my heart goes out to you. I cannot say I am the oldest but I believe that being the only one kinda puts me in the same boat as you. My dad is 83 and very hard of hearing so it does not take much to get him confussed.

I am just going to  :pray for your dad and for you and I would send this hug  :hug for your dad as well.

((((Magispook))))
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »

Praying here too. :pray

NavyGal

• Administrator
  • Our little shanty- not perfect, but ours!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »

Praying for the best outcome - whatever that choice may be - for all those involved during this tough time for you....
“Gardening is painting the canvas of the earth.”  ~ Jean-Luc Danneyrolles

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 09:42:02 PM »

Woo Woo - My dad is now at a rehabilitation hospital in the city I live in.  My siblings and I are rehabbing his mobile home for when (if) he returns as it is unsafe due to all of the stuff he has hoarded as part of the onset of dementia (before his hospitalization he was skirting on the fringes of it).  Consequently, there are many, many boxes of stuff in the living room, the middle room has been cleared for overnight stay by one of us at a time as caregivers, and his bedroom has been decluttered.  Got a call from my brother in a panic this afternoon.  Seems Dad called him and told him he (Dad) was at home and the living room was filled with boxes, the middle room looked like someone was ready to move in to it, and his bedroom had changed.  He described everything exactly as it was when my brother left the mobile home an hour before.  My brother could not understand how the hospital could/would discharge him without notifying us and how he got to his home 20 miles away.  The call register on my brother's phone showed the call came from the hospital, not my dad's cell phone which is at my dad's home.  I immediately called the nurse station who checked (even checked his wristband) and determined he is at the hospital.  No one has told my dad what the situation at the mobile home is like because he is greatly confused and doesn't even realize he is hospitalized.  But, he described the situation exactly as if he had been there just prior to calling my brother.  Just thought I'd document this here on line.

cassBme

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:54:58 PM »

Prayers for your dad and you and your family Dan.

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »

you have a lot on your plate ... many prayers for you and your family  :pray.. I hope all is going better by now.   may you be bless with wisdom

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 09:36:10 PM »

Right now it seems as if we are simply delaying the inevitable.  He has been moved to a special ward to prevent "wandering" and the change has increased the confusion and added an element of paranoia.  Meanwhile, we are trying to rehab his place as he will be discharged on Friday come hell or high water and the hypothyroid-caused dementia he suffered before his hospitalization manifested in hoarding of lots of stuff that we are going through for disposition--most of it is useless and there are rooms full of it.  There is some hope from conversations with friends who have been in similar circumstances that the familiarity of home will help him snap out of it but his doctor says he believes the period of very low blood pressure before medical intervention (when he fainted and before arrival at the hospital) most likely has permanently damaged those areas that make independent living possible.  We will see how it works out once he's in familiar surroundings.  Just in case I'm exploring alternatives such as trying to get him into the local vet nursing home--they have periodic inspections with teeth in them, a dedicated staff, and the VA hospital adjoins the building.  The VA docs go over there and volunteer their time.  There is a super long waiting list there.  I'm not too thrilled with the local nursing homes as I did volunteer work as a magician in some of them years ago and determined at that time I will do whatever possible to avoid placement there.  If any folks here  on the forum have suggestions on screening nursing homes for future placement, I'd be grateful to read them.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »

Magispook......it seems you are right on top of things as usual. I know this is a hard time. Is it maybe possible to have family and friends and maybe someone you hire stay with him in his home. You know with no one pulling all the time just a few hours a piece.

He will need consistancy and I found that to be the easiest way to see that that took place.
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 07:25:03 AM »

.... my heart and prayers for wisdom and knowledge goes out to you  .. wish i could tell you more.  but i think i would be coming to you for advice as it looks like you are on top of it all 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 10:03:48 PM »

POCD - The below is from wikipedia.com  Info received from various medical sources (especially nurses--they have real on-hands experience with patients) leads us to strongly consider Post-operative Cognitive Dysfunction as the main culprit of my dad's current impairment. He will be coming to his home (where I will stay with him during nights) day after tomorrow.  Our nurse contacts advise there is a strong possibility we may get him back to his previous mental state once he gets back into familiar surroundings and routine.  I sure hope so.  I explained what his catheter was about 20 times in 30 minutes when I visited him this evening.  He was getting quite frustrated with me about it.   :giggle

Postoperative Cognitive Dysfunction (POCD) refers to cognitive problems (with memory, learning and the ability to concentrate) following surgery. There has been very limited research into POCD, but existing reports suggest that the incidence of POCD increases with age, it can last for long periods of time, with 2–3 months considered long-term.

POCD has been studied through various institutions since the inception of the IPOCDS-I study centred in Eindhoven, Netherlands and Copenhagen, Denmark. This study found no causal relationship between hypoxia and low blood pressure and POCD. Age, duration of anaesthesia, introperative complications, and postoperative infections were found to be associated with POCD.

POCD to be differentiated from postoperative delirium has a longer duration and no lability or fluctuations in impaired cognitive functioning. Some patients who demonstrated POCD at 10–14 days were found to have improved scores at 3 months, while others continued to demonstrate POCD at periods longer than 1 year. This suggests that in certain at risk patients, POCD may be a permanent alteration of cognitive functioning.

[edit] Treatments
Treatment generally involves correcting any underlying medical conditions. For example, if the patient is found to be suffering a form of hypothyroidism, the mental declining effects associated with hypothyroidism can be corrected with thyroid hormone replacement therapy, although many times patients continue to endure confusion and a sense of dementia.[citation needed] Additionally, occupational therapy may be helpful for some people. Neurofeedback can improve symptoms for some people

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »

My niece brought home a big dog to stay with her (and us) in order to keep him from going back to the pound. The person who got him won't be able to keep him. He is neutered, of gentle disposition, and we haven't heard him bark yet but he is big. He would be an excellent doggie for a young active person and would especially be great for a single female for intimidation purposes.  Our little queen of the household doggie doesn't like him here.  He will have to find a home before my neice goes back to the dorm Sunday.  Hate to take him back to the shelter as he probably will be blacklisted and meet a fate he doesn't deserve.  Unfortunately our plate is full right now.  Just goes to show ya, even critters get caught up in caretaking situations they didn't cause and don't deserve.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 07:51:18 AM »

Fumes - Running on fumes right now (pun intended)....been up 27 hours taking care of Dad.  He's got the backyard trots and cannot make it to the bathroom.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 |   Go Up