Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting rid of fleas  (Read 3175 times)

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
Getting rid of fleas
« on: June 16, 2010, 04:51:18 AM »

I was looking in one of the folder on my computer and found this --

I didn't save the site it came from  :(

I haven't tried it yet either but I think it might be good,

I do have a question though if some one could answer it.

It calls for Hydrogen Peroxide and Borax 
I am pretty sure the watered down Peroxide would be ok but is the Borax ?

Since we live pretty much in the middle of woods and have deer, rabbits etc.
roaming around we do have to on going flea problem we have to tend with.
This would be a great way and hopefully better then the poisons you buy.

----------------------------
Dog Mange: 1% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide. You get this with a 3% Solution bottle from Wal-Mart poured into a container then fill the bottle with water twice and add to the same bucket. One part 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and 2 parts water equal a 1% solution. The water dilutes the 3% solution to 1% solution. Now put in borax until it won't dissolve any more and you're done. Borax is not a laundry soap it is a chemical (boric acid mostly) and is used as a laundry booster. Its cheap and available at Wal-mart as well. It won't hurt the dog...at all. There are some kennels that suggest a dose in the food (I think this is unwise) but the borax bath is harmless....it kills the fleas as well. Hope this helps as the previously left instructions are a bit convuluted....CHEER S!
ANIMAL NUT HEATHER
----------------------------------------

ps I just googled the name and this is the site that came up

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/static/pet-care.html

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
Re: Getting rid of fleas
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:20:44 AM »

I don't know about borax and peroxide for fleas but I always rinsed the dogs after bathing in a vinegar and water mix.
I also put a teaspoon of vinegar in their drinking water. Never had a flea in the house or on dogs.This seemed to work for my dogs but I didn't live in the woods.
Also I used straight vinegar on one dog's badly excoriated chest once and it worked a miracle for healing it.She had broken a fence section and had tried to get out of the yard and cut up chest pretty bad and all the hair was gone. The area healed perfectly with cider vinegar poured on gauze and dabbed on chest twice a day for 3 days.

redwicket

• ~
  • Beach Bum
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 02:26:45 AM »

I've used Borax for fleas and it worked well...just not in the way you describe...I lived on a ranch and we had a big flea problem (especially feline fleas which are harder to kill), the old country vet told me to use borax.

You sprinkle it in your carpet, the longer you leave it before vacuuming it up the better...And, you Also sprinkle it outside in your yard and areas that your animals have access to.  If you are doing it outside try to make sure that it isn't going to rain for at least a couple of days...then you just sprinkle it right onto the grass.

It dehydrates the fleas and eggs...And it is natural, they mine borax...Boy Oh Boy does it work!
"When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the
floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way."

~ Wayne Dyer

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:31:48 AM »

Redwicket, I had cat fleas in the house once years ago and used everything but didn't know about borax.I finally hired a professional company to spray which worked.

redwicket

• ~
  • Beach Bum
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:35:52 AM »

Yep...Borax is a lot cheaper  :)
"When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the
floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way."

~ Wayne Dyer

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 03:01:35 AM »

Thanks for the info

Rose I will try the vinegar on the  :dog :dog

I will try the borax in as you suggested RW 

Thanks you both for the help.

cassBme

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:10:21 PM »

The groomer I take my little dogs to uses Lemon Joy dish detergent on the pets with fleas and says it works. You have to be careful because it can be drying to thier skin. We really don't have much of a problem with fleas, our problem is ticks!!!

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »

The old timers around here add vinager to the water they leave out for the hunting dogs. I actually use the once a month called frontline. B/c I am allergic to the bites so I take no chances.
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Lierin

• OCH Family
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:07:02 PM »

I use Borax around the yard, and I've used it in the house.  It works.  I also add red wine vinegar to the water for all of the animals (chickens, rabbits, pigs, dogs, cats).  I give the dogs brewers yeast and garlic tablets which they seem to consider as a treat each day, and add the yeast to the cat food.  I've got two cats that are severely allergic to any of the topical flea treatments, and with the amount of dogs and cats those things are beyond expensive.  I do occasionally see a flea, but very few.  They are bad this year so I'm glad Borax is so cheap.  The brewers yeast and garlic works well for ticks as well CassBme.  Most dogs will chew up the tablets like a treat if you offer it that way (and it's easier than trying to make sure they ate it with their food or crushing them to powder).

Every vet that I've worked with has told me that ANY soap will kill fleas.  Wet the dog or cat, lather them up and let the bubbles sit for at least five minutes.  I've used plain baby wash and it works just as good as any of the stronger soaps and it's less drying.  For cats or dogs with flea allergies any of the 'oily' hand soap does wonders.  I have one that I use the Pure and Natural hand soap on.  It's almost all oils and it clears that flea rash up quickly.
Be yourself, no one can tell you you're doing it wrong.
Pages: [1] |   Go Up