Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: How big a container do I need for...  (Read 9751 times)

Maeve

• like the perfect chord at imperfect times
How big a container do I need for...
« on: May 01, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »

25 pounds of sugar?

King Arthur Flour has a 'large' container, they say it'll hold 25 pounds of flour.  It's quite pricey and they give a size (12" by 15" tall, it's cylindrical)

Sam's Club has a 2 pack of Rubbermaid round storage containers that hold 12 quarts each, but don't list the dimensions.

um.

I've been googling away for a while now and just can't get anywhere - comparing quarts to pounds is an effort in futility.  :)

And we buy the big bag of sugar at Sam's - 25 pounds.  I'm just sick of having that big bag in the kitchen, plus, it's Spring and the ants are invading.  But I don't know what size container to get.  So I figured I'd bother everyone here.  :)

Oh - and anyone can feel free to hijack this post with your questions on what size container for what thing you want to contain!  (and if this question has been asked and answered then point me towards the right thread and delete this one :))

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
Re: How big a container do I need for...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »

Maeve I don't know if this will help but ---

I get food grade 5 gal. containers from the bakers at the grocery store. (free)

Now after they are cleaned out they still have a frosting smell to them that does go away
after a time.

Anyway you can get plastic liners to put in the 5 gal. buckets if you want.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 06:21:43 PM »

I got the answer in a recent email newsletter from Cheryl Driggs with CFD Publications at...
http://www.simplyprepared.com/ (an awesome, common sense preparedness website)

Along with a lot of other helpful advice about Storage Containers she posted the following at:
http://www.simplyprepared.com/storage%20containers.htm

CONTAINER SIZE CHART

CONTAINER                    POUNDS OF FOOD CONTAINER WILL HOLD
   SIZE               GROUP 1*         GROUP 2*         GROUP 3*          GROUP 4*
   1 gallon            7 lbs                   5 lbs                 4 lbs              3 lbs
   2 gallon          15 lbs                 10 lbs                 8 lbs              6 lbs
   4 gallon          30 lbs                 20 lbs               15 lbs            13 lbs
   5 gallon          35 lbs                 25 lbs               20 lbs            15 lbs
6.5 gallons        50 lbs                 30 lbs               25 lbs            20 lbs
 13 gallon        100 lbs                 60 lbs               50 lbs            40 lbs
 30 gallon        225 lbs               150 lbs             120 lbs            90 lbs
 55 gallon        400 lbs               275 lbs             225 lbs          160 lbs

*Group 1: Wheat, beans, rice, sugar, grains

*Group 2: Non-instant powdered milk, flour

*Group 3: Oatmeal, macaroni, spaghetti

*Group 4: Instant powdered milk, potato flakes

This makes more sense to me than anything else I've found, online or off. :clap

That said, I'm with Chloe and the free buckets. Get mine from the local 'Amish Store' or the deli/bakery at our grocery store in town. Most often however, I transfer my bulk foods into the plastic bottles that juice comes in. Then they are only opened when I need them in the kitchen. Because they are clear, I have to keep them in the dark, but this system is great for rotation. :dance

I'd like to get a bunch of half-gallon canning jars for bulk food storage so I can vacuum seal them easily, but they are pricey. :o

"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Maeve

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »

Thanks for the info CL!  I don't know anybody who works at delis and I don't really frequent bakeries enough to chat up any workers, nor do I buy/drink juice.  But, Sam's Club has some restaurant supply stuff at reasonable prices and with that list I now know what sizes to get!

Maeve

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »

There was a 2 pack of containers at Sam's Club:  A 25 pound bag of sugar *just* fits in a 12 Quart Container (from Rubbermaid)

My father doesn't understand why I bother, he thinks it's just as easy to keep the bag and pour from that.  *sigh*  

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 04:15:20 AM »

Maeve glad you found the right container for your needs.

As far as your Dad I think sometimes it just a man thing  :giggle

wannabhome

• OCH Family
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »

Thanks for the container size/amounts list. I was wondering what size for macaroni and such.

Rosesfirst

• Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 05:18:56 PM »

Good information to print and keep in pantry folder. :)
Pages: [1] |   Go Up