Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: If You Could.....  (Read 2321 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
If You Could.....
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »

Couldn't figure out where to put this so Magispook's Musings seemed a good catch-all place to put this thought provoker.  Yesterday a theoretical physicist lectured at WVU on the possibility of time travel.  He was interviewed on one of the local talk shows and he stated time travel is theoretically possible and has been proven in 1972 when an atomic clock identical to one kept at a U.S. location as a control (the other clock being the experiment) was flown around the world at the speed of sound on a jet.  The flying clock was slower than the stationary one.  He said it can be done, there  is simply no mechanism and power source today to do so.  Today the radio show host asked the following question:  if you had a ticket and could go to the past or to the future and return only one time, would you go to the past or to the future and why?  Good question.  One caller stated he would, after pondering the question a long time, like to travel to the future to see if extraterrestials had been discovered.  The host stated he would like to go back in time to observe his parents when they first met (lost his dad last week).  I believe I would like to go to the past obviously to see relatives who have since passed away but also to meet myself as a youngster and tell me that I will do great things.  Unfortunately I learned later in life that one must take calculated risks to improve one's situation.  If I had known at an earlier age, perhaps I could have done great things by now based on the encouragement of the future me to the past me.  Which direction would you like to go and why?
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: If You Could.....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:48:19 PM »

Hmmm... Interesting question.
I'll need to think about this a bit.
I shall return.... :giggle
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:48:20 PM »

Humm.
If I had a ticket to time travel one time only.
I think I would give it away.
If I went back in time and changed something I did. Would it make thing to
different and maybe not for the good.

If I went in the future and found out something I did before wasn't good. Where would I be.

So am I am optimist or a pessimist for not wanting to maybe change something for traveling
in time.
 :/

cassBme

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:49:44 AM »

The past most definitely! Why? Hmmm, probably because I know things about the past and know nothing of the future and I'm not sure I would want to.

I would loved to have gotten to know my grandparents as younger people and met my great grandparents and like you Magispook, I would have loved to have given some encouragement to my younger self! I guess I couldn't do all that in one trip though *sigh*.

BTW, I LOVED the tv show "Quantum Leap", but Sam Beckett could only leap through his own lifetime.

Kris

• OCH Veteran
  • My Fur Kids
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 05:39:38 PM »

That's a very good answer Chloe, I can see the logic in it very clear ....

For myself, I would go back in time and give myself a good finger wagging and maybe a  :knuppel2: over the head.
I have done things I'm not very proud of that I still regret today.
If I could go back in time and change them, I would in a heartbeat. No need to ask me twice.

Kris

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me .
Eddie Vedder

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:56:42 PM »

Interestingly enough for those of us who choose the past, according to the professor, you can make a change but the only one who would know the change occurred would be you because everything for everyone else would be as it happened under the new parameters and not as it would be if you hadn't made the change.  Clear as mud, ain't it?

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:00:34 PM »

::D Now don't go tangling this up, Magispook.
Its a hard enough quandary as it is. :gaah
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

theyd

• OCH Family
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 11:58:33 AM »

to the future   :wave4  so that i meay know of what more i need to prep for.  :hat

simplyme2u

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »

I'm pretty much like Chloe

I might like to go to the past ...and I'd like to change that I'd have finished my attempt at being a RN

but...changing that would have changed all that took place

and going forward would show results of choices that I'd made

so...I'd stay where I'm at and live each day as it comes

good ....bad.....whateve r it should be....I will live them as they come

mmmm

maybe the a younger generation would be tempted to see their fate

lsuzanne

• OCH Family
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 10:59:56 PM »

I used to say that I would go back and make sure that my parents never met - but now that I have kids and grands, that would be out of the question.  Now, I would just go back and show myself how "chubby" I'm going to get  in the future -if I don't watch it!!!  To see loved ones that have passed away might be too overwhelming for me.

Lynne

Kris

• OCH Veteran
  • My Fur Kids
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 12:14:48 AM »

The real question is ... can a jet fly 24,902 miles, at the speed of sound on one tank of fuel?

Another one is .... if you really think about the consequences of changing the past, you will go cross eyed  :lol

Kris

I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me .
Eddie Vedder

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 05:24:20 AM »

The tanker would have to be capable of flying at that speed or they averaged it OR a time traveler went back and changed it so it could happen.  Which causes me to ask: has someone already gone back and changed things (because we wouldn't know since the only one who would know is the one who changed things)?  cue in Twilight Zone music......
Pages: [1] |   Go Up