Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 17  (Read 3651 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Ponderings 17
« on: August 21, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »

Facebook - Facebook's an interesting concept.  Would be interesting to see some of the folks posting here.  But it also can provide information where ignorance is bliss.  Such as....am watching a friend slowly self-destruct thru Facebook posts.  Not much I can do about it.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
Re: Ponderings 17
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »

I'm on Facebook.  It can be a real waste of time, if you want to call it that, or it can be interesting.  I find I enjoy connecting periodically with relatives, old friends, old exchange students, etc. that I seldom hear from.  Pictures are always fun to see also that you wouldn't see otherwise. 

For example, DD has been in Tahoe for a week skiing and she keeps putting pictures on Facebook that she's taken with her phone.  If I weren't on Facebook I wouldn't have seen one of them.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:52:05 PM »

I initially started because my girls are on Facebook and I want to make sure things are safe.  I did enter my high school and year of graduation which caused me to receive contacts from former classmates.  It's interesting to see where life has sent them especially since I've only been able to attend one class reunion in the past 36 years.  Most of them stayed in my hometown and I probably passed them in a store not even recognizing them or them recognizing me.  Also I managed to track down a (then) young second lieutenant I took under my wing back in the day.  Nowadays he's a field grade officer in the Reserves and just opened his own restaurant in SC.  And yes, photos are fun, especially of former classmates.  Due to the nature of my job, I don't place my actual pic but did put up one of Father Jack Hackett of the Irish comedy series Father Ted.  One former classmate upon viewing the photo asked me if I was a clergyman.   :lol  I don't get involved with the numerous Farmville, etc. things there but some of my classmates are really busy at them.  BTW, the friend I mentioned above apparently is starting to get better (for now).

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »

I had to smile when you mentioned Farmville, etc.  My daughter is on the team the creates and keeps Farmville, Cafe World, etc. runnning.

She spent ages trying to get me to play them.  I told her this winter I'd try one.  I started on Cafe World and found it ho hum.....hope no ones tells her that!   :lol

simplyme2u

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »

I too have facebook
but...I am not too fond

people talking of their farms, etc

I'd expect kids to be playing such games

I will a birthday wish or a hello to someone there
but as for the daily posting, etc I'd rather come here for that

Creekwoman

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:17 PM »

If you go to the right of the name you will see "hide".  If you click on it you will see where you can hide all the farm stuff and many other things that don't interest you. 

I do it to almost everything that is that type of stuff.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 04:02:50 PM »

Olfactorial Memory - Don't know if there is such a word but there definitely is such a thing.  I was at the education sciences building of a local college yesterday and the conversation drifted to the old-time desks when I went to elementary school--the ones with an inkwell on the upper right hand side and had the seat that flipped up.  Was thinking about that while driving to my next destination when the odor of school paste (the kind of paste your classmates--never you!-- ate and the container fit exactly in that inkwell) popped into my conscienciousness.  I haven't smelled that stuff in at least forty-five years.  Hence, olfactorial memory.  When I think of my first military tour in Korea, I can still smell the unique odor of the heating oil used in the barracks.  I believe my dominant sense is smell.  It's definitely not hearing given my tinnitus or my eyesight.   To determine your dominant sense, relax and think of yourself on a beach.  What is the first thing that pops into your mind about the situation?  The color of the sand and water? (sight); the smell of the water? (smell); the heat or humidity? (touch); the taste of the salt spray near an ocean? (taste); or perhaps the sound of the waves? (sound).  Try it.  What's your dominant sense or do you have two that compete?  BTW, dominant sense is a great tool for in-depth interviewing of witnesses.  Once you determine the dominant sense, tailor the interview with that in mind to get the framework of information, then fill in additional info with other sensory information.   Anecdotal, I'm sure, but I understand some folks with PTSD, etc. can have bad memories triggered by a certain sound or smell.  As the old joke goes:  the mind is a terrible thing........

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »

Not Enough, Just Not Enough – Am listening to scanner traffic while waiting to go pick up my daughter.   A power company employee has collapsed with an apparent cardiac arrest about an hour ago.  Initial call was he fell off the pole.  The employee was in the western part of the county which is without power and roads are difficult to navigate.  Calls for assistance have gone out.  The emergency responders geographically closest are one county away and arrived just about 45 minutes after the initial call over hazardous roads (I’ve driven that route in good weather and it is a challenge) to a location they are not familiar with.  The dispatcher was trying to get more responders there but the call could not be answered quickly enough as this county’s emergency responders are mostly volunteer.  Right now they are in the process of waking up a guy on midnight shift closer to the site to respond.  A call has gone out for any unit with an automatic defibrillator to go to the scene.  CPR has been in progress since the initial call.  It seems to me that 45 minutes is an awful long time for CPR.  The county unit with all the necessary equipment is on the way but we’re talking at least a 45 minute response.  Another call just went out for a vehicle accident to the county to our east (opposite direction and another 45 minutes at least).   Local unit just arrived on scene of the cardiac arrest and is transporting.  Ominously there are no vitals being transmitted.  Just heard an advisory the hospital doc has advised “do not resuscitate” so I assume the employee has met his Maker.  A few observations:  If I was the union rep at the power company, I would be jumping up and down on someone’s desk demanding AEDs for the trucks on dispatch.  One of the problems with volunteer units is that the volunteers have income-producing jobs so their assistance is necessarily reduced given other obligations.  Funding is a factor here and I believe it will just get worse given the state of the economy.  The National Guard is in the western part of the county and is providing assistance in opening up roads but I've not heard on local media or scanner of any medical related assistance provided by them to date.  Given my life experience and a somewhat pessimistic outlook, I can’t help but wonder if someone hooked up a generator to his house without disconnecting the home from the grid first and the employee got zapped from the generator power traveling out the line as well.  Well, just about now, there will be an initial notification of next of kin.  I'd like to throw a cuss word in at this time but the board has a way to keep it from being published--sometimes a cuss word is appropriate.  There is an attitude here in Appalachia that everyone has their own appointed time and place to die.  Apparently today in western Monongalia county on a lonely country road while trying to do his job and restore power to folks he didn't even know, a 52 year old guy met his fate.  So sad.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 09:46:32 AM »

I just don't have words but   :(   :cry    :hug 

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »

Scanner Link - Here's an internet link to Monongalia County emergency transmissions.  Now you can hear how we talk here in the north-central part of the state.  My roots are in southern WV so I have a bit more twang in my accent.   :)

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=cwp&ctid=3027

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »

Incorrect Assumption - Regarding the power company employee mentioned above, I was wrong about my assumption he may have been zapped by someone with a generator.  He had a heart attack.  He was from Pensacola, FL, and worked for a company in Alabama.  Here is the news link regarding the incident.

http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=75117

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 08:23:27 AM »

Still Functional Network - My wife was very active in the Korean church in upstate NY when we were assigned there over twenty years ago.  The women there had a very tight-knit group which eventually scattered across the nation as is the case with military members.  On occasion, one of the group will call another one and catch up on the situations of the other members of the group even after all the intervening years.  This system activated yesterday upon one member learning that one of the group was murdered (shot at her one-person alterations shop) in Colorado Springs, CO, on Monday.  I verified it through two independent news sources last night and this morning.  Another member presently living in NC called last night and left a message (no contact since they visited us thirteen years ago) and my wife will make contact this morning.  When I was stationed in Korea, we American husbands called it the Korean grapevine and we would know before we got word officially that a VIP was coming or something noteworthy was happening simply by tapping into the grapevine.  It is still functional after all these years even though there is significant geographical and socio-economic separation.  I shouldn't be surprised but nevertheless marvel at it.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 11:35:58 AM »

I know what you mean.

The ties that bind is a marvels thing.

Sorry to hear of the bad news you all received.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 06:34:45 PM »

I Missed Winning Gazillions of Dollars in the Powerball Lottery by Only Five Numbers! - which means I only got one number right.  I typically buy a lottery ticket twice a year.  Bought one yesterday due to a feeling I should buy one.  A "hunch" if you will.  Believe it or not, I trust and act upon my hunches.  When I was an agent, we did not have a requirement to carry our service weapons daily unless there was an overt threat to the agent (yes, it happens).  We had what was called "discretionary arming" which meant you armed up when you felt like it and I used that hunch threshold along with environmental factors in making my decision on whether or not to carry that day.  I carry concealed to this day based on that discretionary arming hunch.  Some days I feel I should carry and do so.  Most days I don't.  Obviously if I know I'm going into a shaky area I will arm up.  But otherwise I operate on the hunch.  I've never had the hunch confirmed but that doesn't mean I did wrong.  It only means I didn't notice an overt threat and/or my guardian angel (if I have one) did a good job of thwarting a threat to the degree I didn't notice it.  So far, my lottery hunches and arming up hunches have not produced any "aha!" moment.  All things considered, I'm inclined to be satisfied with the status quo.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 09:38:51 PM »

When I wored on the streets as a paramedic I would have dreams and I would act on them the following day. And it paid off several times. One time I wore a pair of rubber boots to work and everyone thought i was crazy till the last call of the night ( 9:30pm) on my shift and a water line had broken causing lots of water and a wreck had occured. power lines were down and it was a mess. They laid a ladder across the water from the hill side to the rooftop of the car with folks trapped inside and I went to them this way. The inside of the car had about 4 inches of water but my feet stayed dry.  :yes

Our hunches are something to react on for sure.
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 07:21:26 AM »

I Kid You Not - I once interviewed a genius type computer scientist.  He showed me his latest project.  He was very proud of the user interface portion as it was based on color coded text displayed on the screen--a concept he came up with as a solution to a difficult problem.  A certain color text indicated a certain condition existed which required certain responses to whatever colored text was displayed.  There were numerous colors of text for numerous conditions.  He was very proud of it.  I innocently remarked that it all seemed very neat to me as a layman.  I then asked how it worked if the user was color-blind.  Blank face...........

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »

Althought this is nothing to do with your computer scientist.
The fact of people being color blind is a wonder.

My DH is color blind.
So is one of my Grandsons.
The way they see color is amazing.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 04:46:05 PM »

I read somewhere that males are more prone to color blindness than females.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »

I imagine it something folks just adapt to, like being left or right-handed, having a certain dominate eye, or a variety of hearing impairments. Still, you'd a thunk the genius would have considered that. ::)

ps- I'm glad you found your board. :blush :giggle :congrats :clap
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »

Strange Happenings Today - Two strange things happened this morning.  I was in my home office typing away when my wife took my daughter to school  at 8:00 this morning.  Round trip is about 45 minutes.  At 8:20 I feel the usual rush of air indicating the door they leave from has been opened.  Thinking they must have returned for something, I walked into the room with that door to find the door closed and the blinds swaying the exact same way they sway when my wife leaves.  I walk out and there is no car there and no person (or critter) there.  Our yappy dog was relaxing in the room without a care in the world--she typically has a barking greeting for my wife as she adores my wife.  When my wife returned, I asked if she had come back for something.  No.  I finished my report and was watching the news waiting for FedEx to hopefully bring me some work.  I watched a different FedEx vehicle go past the window (he normally goes to the door by the window) and around the corner toward the dead end of the street.  I thought my driver had finally moved up in the world and had been issued a new vehicle.  Curious as to who got a FedEx instead of me while acknowledging the possibility of a different driver trying to find my place, I walked to the street and discovered no FedEx there or anywhere.  Time between the vehicle driving past and me getting up to check was less than a minute.  I would have seen that vehicle exit.  Cue in Twilight Zone music............
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up