Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezerville 8  (Read 7319 times)

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Geezerville 8
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »

Dan, I found some info you might be interested in and posted it at...
http://ourcountryhaven.com/OCH3/index.php?topic=20819.0

Bon voyage~!
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »

Thanks for looking out for me.  I checked with TRICARE (military retiree health insurance) when initially planning the trip and determined we do have coverage and surprisingly the method of submitting claims is unchanged regardless of where in the world we happen to be.  I read current Secretary of Defense Gates wants to overhaul the military health system (i.e. reduce benefits) but I doubt he will be successful, at least within the timeframe our trip is scheduled for.  Lots of folks do not factor in the possibility of sickness/injury during an overseas trip but I suspect that is when the opportunity for such is most possible since one is out of one's day-to-day circumstances and familiar surroundings.  If you factor in not acting one's age ("here, hold my beer and watch this!"), the potential increases.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »

Have a wonderful,safe trip and take lots of pics.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 02:24:57 AM »

Wishing you well and fun besides on your vacation, Magispook. :wave4
This will be a vacation to remember for a lifetime for your family. ENJOY~! :hug

Has the area you are going to been affected by the ash from the Iceland volcano that has the airline industry at a standstill in some places there?

Oh and please let me know 'somehow' your approximate departure & return dates.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 08:09:09 PM »

I do plan to take lots of pictures of my thumb with parts of Europe in the background.  Would like to do a journal but won't be taking my laptop due to power considerations so any notes will be by hand and I have difficulty reading my own handwriting (typing and spell check really have spoiled me).  I suspect the trip will generate a pondering or musing or two.  Won't be leaving for a while yet so I get to relish the upcoming trip and enjoy the consequent anticipation.  Kinda like smelling homemade bread or chocolate chip cookies baking........

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »

Consider taking along one of your tiny voice recorders to tell your perceptions to.
Pretend you have a direct line back here to OCH. :lol

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 03:18:10 PM »

Believe it or not, that is the very same solution I came up with.  Last time I was in Germany, Twin Peaks was extremely popular with the Germans.  The main character used a small voice recorder for similar purposes.  Wonder if they'll think I'm an FBI agent..........

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 06:07:56 PM »

:cigar   :hat   :coolsmiley:   :o   :No1   ::)   :lol   :lol   :lol   :lol   :lol

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »

See what 2 good minds can do when you put them to gether to figure out a solution.  :giggle

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 12:44:57 AM »

Just a quick note to say we just made it back from our ten day Germany trip (excluding two days of travel).  Been awake for 25 hours straight so will pass more info when I'm coherent.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »

Glad to know you are back safe and sound!!! Now you get some sleep eye and we will be waiting.  :yes
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »

Me to I am glad you all are back home safe and sound.

I would sing you a Lullaby to help you get to sleep but after 25 hours I don't think you
will need it.

Welcome home.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »

WELCOME  HOME  MAGISPOOK~!
:clap Hope your trip was :fantastic

Looking forward to your reports WHEN you have time. Just don't feel like you have to tell it all in one post. I'm sure there are many posts of insights and entertainment to come, altho a brief overview would be helpful. Did you, your wife & daughter(s) enjoy yourselves overall?

I'd better stop asking questions. :blush You're sure to be more tired today than ever.
Vacations are like that. :dance

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »

Cliff's Notes Version:  Went there.  Weather was cooperative.  Went off the diet but all things in moderation.  Ate well.  Lost five pounds anyhow.  Did a lot of walking.  My German and Italian were sufficient.  Looked the German part (used to do surveillances there) and was spoken to in German before they figured out I was American.  Bavarian German is different from Hessen German but I got along and learned some new vocabulary.  Bavarians seem more hillbilly-like so we got along well being from the same mold so to speak.  Pre-planning the trip to include down-time from tours paid off.  Tours were informative and part of the tourist thing but exhausting.   Been to Dachau before but my daughter hadn't and was able to correlate the experience with some reading she did in school--now the writings she had to read make sense to her.  Not much opportunity for "me" time.  Didn't worry about my business here in USA while there but need to get back in mode.  Hope some work comes in soon.  Daughter liked paragliding so much she used a lot of her discretionary spending money to fly again on her own dime.  Switzerland was expensive.  Went to a restaurant near the top of the Alps and the equivalent of a McDonalds chicken nuggets, fries, and a coke was $30.  A bowl of soup I had was $10. Munich was good but all the girls wanted to do was shop.  Security getting back into the US was a real PITA and made the trip back seem forever-went through five security screenings and that was for standard folks.  Lots to write about when the muse hits including the contrast between European women and American women.  Garmisch was so great that my wife and I will seriously explore spending months there at a time if budget will allow following the girls' graduations.  Thanks for the well-wishes and patience.

Rosesfirst

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »

Glad you made it back safe and well.
Sounds like you saw some great sites and had a lot of fun.( except the airport).
I would love to go lots of places but until I grow wings it won't happen. I'm afraid of flying.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 11:04:12 PM »

Magispook you all's trip sures sounds like a exciting trip.
I hope will post some pic too.

Pages: 1 [2] |   Go Up