Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Down

Author Topic: Geezerville 8  (Read 7861 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Geezerville 8
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:56:19 PM »

Perception - Just saw a segment on the news about a 65 year old guy studying for a new career in law enforcement.  He was in a class of obviously younger fellow students.  The situation caused me to remember something from years ago when I was a young agent full of pi$$ and vinegar going through a tactical course in the Philippines (jungle course).  We agents went through portions of a course with USAF security police.  I was around 32 years old at the time which was considered gettin' on in the years in terms of military demographics.  One of the cops was an old man--he was 35 which earned him designation as a grandpa.  We had to follow Filipino special forces guys over terrain at dusk at a rapid pace humping rucks and M-16s plus any other specialized gear.  Everyone was humping to include the mostly 19 year olds and us few geezers.  We got to the top of a mountain and the special forces guys had pity on us in that they allowed us a ten minute rest.  We agents were considered a novelty and folks liked to talk with us.  The 35 year old Viet Nam vet geezer confided to me that "I thought I was going to just drop going up that last hill but I wasn't going to let them young'uns see that so I just kept at it."  About five minutes later, one of the 19 year old young'uns confided in me that "I thought I was going to just drop going up that last hill but if that old guy could do it, I sure wasn't going to so I just kept at it."  As for me, I sure as blazes wasn't going to disgrace the agent  corps by dropping for all the young'uns to see and I sure as blazes wasn't going to drop out if that old geezer wasn't going to.  Machismo has its place, I guess.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Geezerville 8
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »

:giggle
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 07:39:18 PM »

Time Travel - I had some business to conduct at my old elementary school Monday.  I attended there decades ago.  To this day I can vividly recall seeing my teacher (probably the only black teacher teaching white kids in the entire county school system at the time) crying and telling us President Kennedy had been killed.  The school was not only my elementary school but also my junior high school.  I walked to the office on autopilot--no need to even look for it as the location, as I suspected, had not changed.  I conducted my business and asked if I could check out the hallway a bit as school is not yet in session.   I (atypically) lowered my guard to determine what memories, if any, would manifest themselves.  Sometimes I take chances and love a good experiment.  Would they be good or bad?  Specific or general?  Rather quickly I had to pop the barriers back in place and exit the building.  My overwhelming sense was "injustice."  Given my experience as an adult plus my college and school of hard knocks education, I understand the dynamics of the time and culture those many years ago.  I can understand the "why" of the then and can objectively contrast with the education culture and dynamics of now.  Things have improved immensely in terms of leveling the field.  But the injustice of different treatment of those of us on the lower portion of the socio-economic spectrum, cronyism, and pettiness of some adults and, predictably, children is something that cannot (and arguably should not) be forgotten by me.  There were some dedicated and truly gifted teachers but there were others, two in particular that I recall (one later murdered his entire family), who I sincerely hope will encounter their karma before they die.  Then again, perhaps (most likely) they were products of their time.  My daughter and nieces, on the other hand, enjoy the benefits of being somewhere in the middle of the socio-economic spectrum and they have the advantage of a more professional and dedicated teaching staff.  They will most likely have a better sense if they somehow end up walking into their old schools sometime in the future.  As for me, I believe I will be careful of time travel for awhile.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »

Ah.... I understand. Funny how 'unfairness' is something that sticks with us.

Altho much longer ago than your's are, those days are as crisp and clear in my mind now as they were then. We students had a great time, and learned a lot from some extremely dedicated teachers. But I still have to wish we were taught even more about how to live our lives, make wise decisions, understand human nature more... I guess everything happens when its supposed to. Life isn't perfect, and it probably isn't supposed to be. It just seemed to be very nearly perfect back then.

:ty2 for sharing Dan. :hug

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »

Burdensome Clothing - A few weeks back a member of a retired agents group I belong to put out a request for a USAF dress blues shirt so he could wear it to his grandson's graduation from AF basic training.  We're the same size so I sent him mine as a loaner.  He sent me a pic of him wearing his USAF uniform as a retiree.  In the pic (everyone in uniform) were his kids and his grandson (the recent basic training grad).  Three generations of military service were represented.  Three sons (2 USAF enlisted) and one Army enlisted (love the caption noting "one in green but we love him anyway").  One daughter who went the USAF officer route (a captain).  All career military.  And of course the newest USAF grad.  Family tradition.  Just got the shirt back and decided to try on my old dress blues uniform for grins.  Still fits!  The pants waist could use an inch of letting out for relief but otherwise fits the same as the day I retired.  Funny thing about putting on that uniform.........the burdensome weight of responsibility went on with the uniform and pretty much left when I took it off just now.  A relief to take it off to be honest.  Means to me that I have acknowledged the burden has been passed to the younger generation if you look at it symbolically.  Wish I had been there to tell that young'un to make his family and his country proud by his actions.  He's just startin' out on a wild and most important ride.  The old crew has prepared the way.  Now it's his turn to shoulder the burden.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:31:28 AM »

What a wonderful legacy your friend has laid out for others to follow. :smiflag

My sincere appreciation to you ALL~! (including the green one) :giggle

:smiflag :smiflag :smiflag :smiflag :smiflag :smiflag :smiflag :smiflag :smiflag :smiflag

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:50:25 AM »

What a  wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.

And much thanks to all our service  men and women ( what ever the color of  thier uniforms)

:smiflag  :smiflag  :smiflag   :smiflag  :smiflag  :smiflag  :smiflag  :smiflag  :smiflag
My Etsy shop ~ Stuff by Kim ~ from The Mountains of West Virginia

Fiber and Flea Village
http://fiberandflea.blogspot.com

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 02:08:29 PM »

Wood's In - Got our second dump truck load of wood yesterday evening and finished stacking it this morning.  Nice, well seasoned cherry and oak.  My wife loves entertaining her friends when we're burning cherry.  They love to roast chestnuts and sweet potatoes over/in the fire.  Whew, glad that's done.  I always worry about getting my wood in before the weather turns really cold.  We have an all-electric home so the wood is not only our supplemental heat but our primary emergency heat source as well.  The other sources are solar powered pellet stove, kerosene, and propane in that order.  Of course, we use what solar heating we can get as well in addition to winterizing the home.  The girls (one suspects by design but in their defense they didn't know when the wood would be delivered) all had something else going on elsewhere so yours truly did all the moving and stacking.  The older I get the more it hurts afterwards.  One thing about wood heat:  it heats you up numerous times - cutting it, splitting it, stacking it, and burning it.   ::D

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:52:39 PM »

Devious I Am- Our two 15 year olds girls (the 17 year old is in HI with her father) have been pestering us to have the opportunity to taste wine for the first time this Christmas Eve.  Well, I guess to everything there is a season so I decided to let them try some.......heh, heh, heh.  I don't believe they should like wine so much so I decided to give them each a finger of an Italian wine called Sambuca in a brandy snifter.  For those unfamiliar with Sambuca, it is an acquired taste, and the best way to describe the flavor is that of Vicks cough syrup back in the 60's to include the burn going down the throat.  It's made with anise and some would say tastes like Greek Uzo.  I could hardly keep a straight face as they intertwined arms like in the movies and drank the entire approximate teaspoonful in one gulp.  I wish I had a video--the reaction was that funny:  eyes big and round, look of shock, and running for a glass of water with the same face my daughter had as an infant tasting lemon or olives for the first time.  Out of fairness my wife, who thinks I'm cruel but couldn't help laugh when not in the girls' presence, made me get them the same amount of a local WV red wine (a great winery right here in my county), which, I explained to them would be like that served at communion or a local restaurant.  Not having learned a lesson from the wine tasting encounter less than fifteen minutes previous, they did the same thing and had nearly the same reaction.  So, about a tablespoon total of two different wines and I think my daughter definitely will not be tempted by peers to drink and my niece (who felt the red wine wasn't super nasty) will also most likely decline the offer.   So, score one for the old man.  Devious I am.

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 02:14:49 PM »

I'd have loved to be a mouse in the corner to see those faces. :lol

Yes you're devious...but you're fair, and predictable. :hug :MC

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »

Unexpected Practical Joke Response - My dad will be 80 in a few weeks.  He had to get his drivers license renewed today so I took him over to the DMV.  His fine motor skills such as signing paperwork are not that great so I wrote out the check while another clerk was taking his photo.  The form said the fee was $18 so that's the amount I wrote the check for.  Turns out the fee is $18 if your license is expired.  Otherwise it is $13.  So the clerk refunded a crisp $5 bill to me as my dad was walking over to be seated.  Since the office was almost completely deserted (I timed our visit right), the opportunity presented itself for a variation of one of my classic practical jokes.  The last time I did it was on a colleague about eight years ago and the result was hilarious.  Here's what I did years ago.  I got in line at the cafeteria as my colleage was getting a cup of coffee.  Concluding the very attractive cashier would enjoy a great practical joke, I paid for his coffee without his knowledge, and enlisted her help.  When he tried to pay for the coffee, she gave him that "come hither look" told him "you don't have to pay for your coffee because you're soooo handsome."  The look on his face was priceless.  Fast-forward to today.  Similar scenario.  I enlisted the assistance of the clerk who took his license photo, gave her the $5 bill, and instructed her to tell my dad he gets a $5 bill just because he's so good lookin.'  She did a good job and my dad thanked her and took the money.  On the way out, I remarked it seemed a great deal to get money for your looks.  To which my dad replied "I think I'll go back and have her take another photo......" 

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 03:52:56 PM »

Magispook
You are for sure a scamp  :giggle

But you know I think that might have been one of the best secret birthday gift you could have given your Dad at his age.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 10:03:30 PM »

I agree what a great gift to give your dad.   :love

Fiber and Flea Village

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »

Shoes - For some reason today I remembered my grandma taking me to buy a pair of shoes when I was 7 or 8.  Great excitement and very special as they were for me only.  Those of you who are the eldest child will understand.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 11:41:27 PM »

Wir gehen nach Deutschland - Other than a few three or four day vacations which I can count on one hand for almost the past twenty years, we're finally going on a real vacation this summer.  Just reserved the room at a military resort hotel near Garmisch, Germany.  My wife is looking forward to returning to Germany after almost two decades.  She is discounting the old adage that you can never go home--in this case return to the way it was such a long time ago.  I'm brushing up on my German as we will be going local as much as possible if I have any say.  My daughter has never been there and this is her birthday present.  She's looking forward to it.  It will be hard for me to relax after being self-employed and constantly in work mode all these years but I will try.  My wife has good memories of Germany.  I worked for a back-stabbing boss most of my time there and so that experience taints my memory of the place.  So I'll see firsthand how/what adjustment is made.  Interestingly, I checked the resort's employment section and the possibility exists my wife and I could get a 13 month gig there as employees.  A huge cut in pay for me but my business would not suffer from the hiatus.  My daughter graduates high school in two years and niece in three.  My daughter could watch our house as she attends the local university while we're living and working there.  I'll be on the lookout for any old geezer employee and have a talk, just in case.   :)

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 04:42:56 AM »

Magispook als hört sich wie ein großer Urlaub an  :dance

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 08:07:34 AM »

Sure enough!

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 01:48:45 PM »

I love reading your posts Magispook. Not that I always have a reply, but you bring a richness of experience, culture and perspective that lingers long after I have left the page. :ty2 for being a part of OurCountryHaven. :hug

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »

Been working the logistics of the vacation.  Transportation, tours, recreation (paragliding off an alpine mountain for my daughter), lodging reserved so far.  Itinerary worked out with significant free time built in.  Having an operations background, planning and implementing is natural for me.  Been buying a few odds and ends for the trip although we have most stuff already.  Been making a list of stuff to pack for my carry-on bag which is rather easy as it is basically a light BOB without fire making goodies or a knife.  I have been feeling a bit guilty about taking the vacation but it has been almost two decades since I took one.  I've whittled down our debt to mortgage only and this vacation will extend payoff of the mortgage by more than a year or perhaps two.  Priority for use of recreational facilities by military retirees on military sponsored resorts is always last place and this window opened up out of the blue so to speak so it falls into the "once in a lifetime" realm.  However, I've been reading other boards and there seems to be a concensus (happens sporadically each year it seems) that a financial crash or some other event or events that will change life as we know it is "imminent."  Rather than temper my enthusiasm about the prospects of a vacation in light of potential life altering events, these conclusion-predictions reinforce that old southern WV coal mine tradition of eating dessert before the main meal.

jollyquilter

• West Virginia
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »

:) You put a  smile on  my face. Go for it, and please allow us to go along thru your written word.  :clap

Fiber and Flea Village
Pages: [1] 2 |   Go Up