Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Pot holder for cast Iron Skillet  (Read 3346 times)

nana9

• OCH Family
  • Retired nurse- nana to 9 grands
Pot holder for cast Iron Skillet
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »

:wave4   Well after I burned my hand twice last week when my pot holders slipped in my hands.  I thought has to be a better way to get my skillets out of the oven . 

So I traced around my handle and then put my tracing on some denim and cut out the pattern.  Place on fold that gives  a place to put batting in and then put 2 of them together and zig-zagged around them.  This works great.  My MIL was over and I gave her a couple of them.  Next thing I knew my phone was ringing her friends were calling can you make some pot holders for me so thats what I have been doing. 
Time...
Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift, that's why it is called "The Present".

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
Re: Pot holder for cast Iron Skillet
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 02:37:27 AM »

Funny you should mention this, Nana9. I've been looking at things that can be made from bluejeans, and potholders is one that's been mentioned. Here's a link to one idea...
http://www.favecrafts.com/Green-Crafting/Turn-Old-Jeans-into-Pot-Holders
...and google has many more links for 'recycle jeans' or 'denim potholders'.

Plus I make a handle holder by crocheting with two strands of cotton thread and fold the square potholder in half, and crochet it closed down the long side. It slides right on the handles of castiron frying pans and keeps my hand from getting scorched.

We'd love to see some photos. :giggle :hug
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »

Great idea nana9  :clap
I remember my Mom making pot handle mits years ago

Thank too CL for the new to me site.  :)

KimB

• OCH Family
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »

I talked to a lady a couple months ago that USE to do craft shows... one of things things she said she made that sold well for her were pan holders... she made them out of ALREADY made up potholders... just folded them over and sewed them over the top and down the sides to a general size of most handles... just thot Id thro that out at you also...

Sorry you burnt your hand!! My niece was here one Christmas helping me finish up cooking with my stainless steel pans... she didnt use the potholder that I had RIGHT THERE in front of her... and she got burnt pretty bad... she said, I know now, what pans NOT to buy... I havent burnt myself, YET...I love these pans!! I just remember to use the holders... I havent made me any pot handle holders yet tho...

Kim
Pages: [1] |   Go Up