Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Baking Powder has expired  (Read 15116 times)

VAfarmerswife

• OCH Family
Baking Powder has expired
« on: February 14, 2009, 03:32:39 PM »

:help please. I have 2 large containers of baking powder from Costco that had an expiration date of 2006. What happens to baking powder when it expires? I just tried to use some in a cake and the cake didn't rise which made me look at the expiration date. Is there anything that can be done to reactivate it or is it still good or do I need to get rid of it.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
Re: Baking Powder has expired
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »

I found this hope it will help some

Baking Powder Uses

Everybody knows how useful Baking SODA is. Did you know that Baking POWDER can be just as useful in keeping your home clean?

Baking soda is actually the primary component IN baking powder, so it's no surprise that pretty much anything you can do with baking soda, you can do with baking powder. If you get confused between the two, baking powder usually comes in a can. Baking soda usually comes in a box.

Since most people use far more baking soda when cooking, they often end up with leftover baking powder that has expired. Here are some great uses for your old baking powder.

Carpet Freshener
One of my favorite uses, it really does well with odors. Mix in a drop or two of your favorite fragrance, and sprinkle on the carpet. Let sit for 10 minutes before vaccuuming up.

Scrubbing Compound
Sprinkle the baking powder onto your counter, sink or tub. Use a wet sponge to scrub out the stains, and then rinse clean.

Dishwasher / Washing Machine
Sprinkle some baking powder into your washing machine or dishwasher to add an extra boost of cleaning power.
http://bellevuewashingtonblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/baking-powder-uses.html

beckie

• OCH Friend
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:43:53 PM »

I have some baking powder that has expired and it still works just fine.  If I have some that is getting older, I just use more and it seems to work just fine.

Vipper

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »

Commercial baking powder does not have a very long shelf life for preps. I have heard 6 months to 2 years. I would recommend storing the ingredients to make it. Here are the recipes for single action and double action baking powder...

Kath

Homemade Baking Powder

Makesabout 1/3 cup

Active Time:5 min
Start to Finish:5 min

RECIPE BY SCOTT PEACOCK
January 2008

Edna Lewis trained Peacock's palate to detect the metallic undertones that commercial baking powders can impart, and he's never looked back. Here's their formula.

1/4 cup cream of tartar
2 tablespoons baking soda

Sift together cream of tartar and baking soda 3 times, then transfer to a clean dry jar and seal tightly.

Cooks' notes: Baking powder keeps in a cool, dark place 6 weeks.
Homemade baking powder can be used in any recipe calling for commercial baking powder (and in the same quantity).

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s...1/bakingpowder

Homemade Baking Powder Recipe

Royal Baking Powder was a single-acting product made years ago. Here's a important recipe for single-acting baking powder you could use in old recipes calling for Royal brand.

2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Combine ingredients and store tightly covered. For double-acting baking powder, use 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar for each teaspoon needed.

http://www.dianaskitchen.com/page/re...kingpowder.htm

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »

Thank you Vipper for the recipe
I will try it soon.
I don't use baking powder enough for the size containers to get used up either

Maeve

• Moderators
  • like the perfect chord at imperfect times
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »

Cream of Tartar can sometimes be rather expensive in the grocery store, unless it's the sort that sells bulk spices.

I generally buy spices at a local coffee shop or the whole-foods/vitamin store.  Their spice prices are a fraction of the stuff found at the grocery store (like McCormick's).

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »

Leavening agents such as Baking Soda and Baking Powder generally last 6 to 12 months, but here is how to test to see if they are still good:

To test baking soda:
Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 teaspoons of vinegar - the mixture should bubble immediately - if not, replace it.

To test baking powder:
Mix 1 teaspoon of baking powder with 1/2 cup hot water - the mixture should bubble immediately - if not, replace it.

Makes it important to know when the 'Best used by' date is, due to storage before it gets to the store I buy it at.

"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"
Pages: [1] |   Go Up