Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] |   Go Down

Author Topic: Ponderings 15  (Read 3397 times)

Magispook

• Mod Team
Ponderings 15
« on: April 22, 2008, 07:48:24 AM »

Control Freak - Yesterday I had to go to the emergency room.  Kidney stone.  Had 'em before but managed to go for nine years before a recurrence.  Had to wait in the ER lobby for three hours before I finally got seen.  Man, that hurt.  Seems lots of ambulances were transporting accident victims and cardiac problems so triage-wise life-threatening trumps pain and I understand that.  Had time to observe the other ER patients waiting their turn.  Although it is a for profit hospital, there were folks there who were exploiting the system.  It appeared to be a reunion of sorts.  One guy there who talked loud often on the free phone complaining he had abnormally high blood pressure periodiacally went outside to burn a cancerstick and hobnob with some others who eventually left when it became apparent they had to wait.  Yep, Some who came to the ER left after an hour or so--they apparently were not so needful if they had to wait.  Although appearance is no indicator, they seemed not to have any pain or limbs falling off.  But, I digress.  When I finally got to be seen, they hooked up an IV and wheeled me to my diagnostics in a wheel chair.  I didn't like being wheeled around.  That's when it hit me, I must be a control freak.  Even when I was close to the big dirt nap a few years ago and was hospitalized at the VA hospital, I wheeled myself around in a wheelchair.  No one did it for me and I chose where to go.  Not that I objected to where I was being wheeled to last night--I understood the diagnostics would clarify the problem and move me toward getting out the door and relieving some pain.  I just didn't like being taken there without me controlling the direction and motion.  You're never too old to learn something about yourself or others.  And, guess what?  Even though I was wearing clean underwear, not one of the ER staff mentioned or cared about it.  So much for that old wive's tale.
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-allegations.

kmac

• OCH Friend
Re: Ponderings 15
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:22:44 AM »

Sorry you had to spend the evening in the ER, I know it is no fun, but I hope you got the meds you needed for the pain. :hug

No, they don't care if you have clean underwear on, but it made your mom feel good to tell you that.
Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

chloe

• OCH Veteran
  • A pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 04:07:30 PM »

I sure hope after all the wait you got some relief.
It is amazing what we learn about ourselves in the oddest ways  :)

Nurseforlife

• OCH Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 06:46:26 PM »

I hope you are feeling better by now :hug at least you were understanding of the way the system works, even thought is moves slowly. I am sure all int he ER department recognized your patience.If not as a nurse I thank you!  :)
Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program. ~Spencer W. Kimball, 1976

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:14:22 PM »

Forgot to mention my nurse happens to be my former neighbor from 25 years ago.  She asked if I could identify her and I couldn't even when she gave me the hint about being my neighbor.  I talk to thousands of people in my line of work so I don't feel too bad about it.  I redeemed myself by remembering her dog's name though.  It's great to have that familiar connection albeit from long ago when you're in an environment where you have no control but your connection does.  The deposit inside the kidney is HUGE and will have to be lasered or blasted.  The doc prescribed hydrocodone and I have yet to use it as I have been able to control my pain today with Motrin.  The pain is not as bad as last time either.  Before it was screaming pain and now it's simply hollering pain.  Now that I know what is to be done and since I have already been there done that, I have some sense of control returning.  Next task is to pick a doc as my old one relocated.  As for triage, I've done my time working at a couple hospitals and am consequetly a bit more understanding about such things.  Thanks for the well wishes.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 07:38:48 AM »

Doggy Bowl - It's been a long while since our Opie died.  He was the alpha-dog in the house.  He shared a water bowl with our surviving dog Sassy.  It's a doggy dish with two bowls actually.  His side was the left bowl and Sassy's is the right bowl.  Sassy drinks a lot of water but only from her side.  She won't drink from his side even if she's not had any water for a long time.  We have to fill her side before she will drink, thirsty or not.  Opie's reign continues despite his demise.  Pretty silly not to drink water that's already available in a bowl whose owner is no longer around, at least to my way of thinking.  I wonder how many of us humans needlessly suffer because we continue to cling to ways simply because "that is the way it has always been done" even though a better way is right there in front of them.

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »

Huh? - I had surgery (lithotripsy) for my blasted (pun intended) kidney stones this week.  Got a stent so I'm still in pain and am greatly looking forward to the possibility of its removal on my wedding anniversary.  The percosets they gave me are probably good but they take just a wee bit of the edge off the pain at best.  Perhaps they are not the real thing. I was treated well.  My brother works at the hospital and I was introduced to various caregivers as his brother.  My brother is well liked and the good karma carried over to me.  He is also a magician (taught him myself) and one of the team assigned to me told me about a routine my brother does that is very puzzling.  She requested I do it as well.  I was not prepared although I could have done it but the surprise factor was not in my favor.  I will pass on doing a routine if I cannot do it well.  So I left her with a mystery to continue pondering.  Quid pro quo.  They left me with a mystery to ponder as well:  I cannot recall at which point I lost conciousness or exactly when I awakened or how I got my glasses on and that puzzles me to no end.  I recall going under on the lithotripsy nine years ago (even what I said just before I conked out) but cannot recall the moment this time.  I must say the deep sleep was great.  I have not had a deep sleep for years.  The pain came about ten minutes after I awoke.  So I had to pay for it later but relaxation was great as long as it lasted.  I will talk with my doc/surgeon next week to determine if I said anything while under anaethesia--because of my old line of work I always have a concern about running the mouth without thinking.  I asked the doc I had last time about any comments I made and he said the team only marveled about how loudly I snored.  Hope they say the same thing this time.  Sure would like to know how I got my glasses back on.   ::D

cassBme

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

Hope you're feeling better now. Kidney stones are awful! Hey, maybe you told them to put your glasses back on!!!

CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • SW Virginia
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »

No doubt you were doing magic tricks even while you were knocked out. :lol

You're a hoot, Magispook~! ::D
"You're gonna LOVE this place~!"

Magispook

• Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 08:57:39 PM »

Autopilot - Here in WV, almost every residence seems to be on a hill.  For my brother, this condition has worked against him.  Within the last two weeks, his foundation has cracked severely and is in the process of buckling.  At first, we thought it to be mine subsidence, a fairly common problem here, but learned there were no coal mines at that hill.  Apparently water from the road the state has neglected to repair has seeped into a subterranean pool and the entire hillside is sliding.  The most recent hard rains have accelerated the problem.  His insurance will not cover it as it is considered a flood insurance issue.  Subsidence insurance will not cover it as there is no mine.  He and his wife are looking at financial ruin.  A structural engineer looked at the home and surroundings a couple days ago and told them not to live there anymore as it could collapse at any time.  Fortunately, he has an active church family that has come to temporary rescue in the form of a mobile home they can live in for two weeks and arranged to rent for low rent/custodianesque residence of an elderly lady recuperating in town who wants the house to be occupied.  It is actually a place most preppers would like:  way out off the beaten path with wood stove and well.  However, the land is owned by a coal company and the house is on company land so no real improvement can be made.  Also the well water is not the best in the world and stinks a lot according the the potential landlady.  My homemade Berkey with the black candles will come in handy.  So will my 5000 watt generator.  I digress.  His brother-in-law, a church member, and me went into the house after checking the floor jacks and determining we most likely would not tip the house and moved most furniture out to be stored at the garage of a fellow church member.  I told my brother not to bother climbing on the roof to retrieve a small solar panel as sometime this week, if we could not properly crib the foundation, that he would be able to walk over to the roof and retrieve it after the collapse (hopefully a tree between the house and that of the neighbor about fifty yards down the hill will stop the house from going into their residence).  While all this was happening, my sister-in-law was watering plants on the rail of the porch of the dangerous home.  She was on autopilot.  She was not thinking the house could soon go over the hill so why was she watering the plants.  She was doing automatic routine stuff during an emergency and probably took solace in doing so.  I was not going to burst her bubble.  The reason I bring this up is that I observed her action as one method folks will cope in an emergency.  Be ready for that.  You may have to be the one to implement your plans.

Cowgirl

• In wildness is the preservation of the world. HDT
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »

Hope you are feeling much better.

What an awful situation!

I read about a guy in Wisconsin in a similar situation. His house, on a hill, was washed away by the flooding. Of course, being on a hill, he wasn't even eligible for flood insurance. And, the land is GONE, so there's no place to rebuild if he had the money.

Just awful. We like to think of our homes as our places of refuge. And mostly they are. Until the unthinkable happens.

As to falling into automatic pilot, I've seen that too - it is a psychological defense mechanism, I think. Good point that we should watch for it in ourselves - it could get someone into serious trouble during a time of crisis.

Pages: [1] |   Go Up