Author Topic: GoSun Sport Solar Cooker  (Read 3523 times)

Offline magispook

GoSun Sport Solar Cooker
« on: November 28, 2014, 10:41:04 PM »
Just ordered my combination Christmas, wedding anniversary, and birthday gift at a third off standard price. It's a GoSun Sport solar cooker. I already have a Sun Oven, a Solar Sizzler parabolic cooker, a home-made lightweight backpack solar panel cooker, home-made Reflextrix funnel cooker, and special dehydrating trays I can use in the oven. Can't wait to test it out in winter-ish sun when it gets here. The sale ends midnight today as I understand it. Oft times it's fun being a solar geek.  Will let ya'll know what I think about it after testing.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
Re: GoSun Sport Solar Cooker
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »
Sounds AWESOME....   What, no LINK? :gpoke1: :gfriends1:

Offline magispook

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:51:21 PM »
Sorry about that CL. Link is      http://www.gosunstove.com/shop/gosun-stove/

Initially I thought I may be able to reverse engineer it but can't think of a food-safe source for the evacuated glass tube which is the heart of the thing.  I am intrigued by the power of it.  My Solar Sizzler is more powerful but takes at least 20 minutes to set up and take down.  The Sport sets up and takes down in less than five minutes and is small enough that space is not a major concern.  At a weight of approximately seven pounds, it's not something I would take backpacking but definitely car camping.  I predict it will be a great conversation starter as well.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 12:41:08 AM »
I was interested so I didn't let a thing like a missing link stop me... Capricorn trait.  :1-giggle:

Google is my friend, on the surface anyway, so I found...
http://www.gosunstove.com and watched videos of the various products. I think I'd get a couple extra rubber seal rings in case the heat degrades it over time, some do - others don't.

Years ago I had difficulty switching from electric cook stoves to gas cook stoves. but I don't think I'd expect to have much difficulty adapting with this. Once you've learned the time it takes to cook specific foods I'd say you could set it up, load the cooking container and go do an interview, take a nap or perhaps a short hike and get back at the time your meal is ready to eat. In fact if there is an issue of not wanting to risk it being swiped in your absence :Yes1: you could even set it up in the rear window of your car, lock er up and still have a hot meal waiting when you get back. :8-hungry:

I only see one problem.... When people see you opening that mysterious thing and the aroma hits, reminding them that its lunch time, they are likely to come over to ask questions, interrupting your lovely hot meal... and of course they will want to sample the food. :gaah:

Its really neat. I've bookmarked the site in case I win the lottery any time soon.
Enjoy~! Thanks for sharing! :claphands:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »
The GoSun Sport solar cooker sounds like a great buy, and an awesome cooker. I watched the video it sure seem easy enough and the fact it can be positions in so many directions.

I would love to see your pictures of your homemade ovens and cooker too. Maybe even a few directions on how to make them. 

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline magispook

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
Chloe, I will have to find pics (I do have them) for the solar panel cooker and Reflectrix (windshield cover) funnel cooker.  I actually put some funds into the panel cooker as I ordered plastic mirrors from a teacher's science supply site.  The end product is very lightweight and takes up little space in my pack.  Other items that go with that panel cooker are an oven baking bag, a pot (my dark titanium is now my favorite as it heats and cools very quickly), and a couple pencils to prop the mirrors up.  Alternatively, you can use two pair of chopsticks.  One pair for propping the mirrors into position and the other two (or one broken in half) to set the pot onto in order to keep it off the mirror.  Here's the link:
http://www.solarcooking.org/plans/

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »
Where are the details about the sale and when does it end?

Offline magispook

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »
Garnet:  I believe the sale actually ends tomorrow.  I thought it ended Friday but I saw it still on sale for $199 (regular $299).  Link to the site is the third response in this thread above.  I sent an email to the company Thursday (and got a response Friday) asking if they had any returns they would sell at a discount.  No.  However, there may be another sale (don't know how much discount) the early part of 2015.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 08:54:29 AM »

magispook

I went to the link you sent for the solar ovens Wow! I save a few of the instructions. Thank you so much, still looking forward to seeing the ones you made.

Offline magispook

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
It's in.  Cloudy all day so can't test it out.  Appears well-built.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »
Magispook, You :3-cigar: and Lee :2pistols: are such FUN to have on OCH~! Y'all are always tinkering, inventing, experimenting and building things to share with us girls to help us survive and thrive better than we ever would have without y'all's excellent input.  :claphands: :gfriends1:

Sincere :2-tysign: to both of you.

PS... I'm sorry it will be raining for the next week or more :rain: keeping you from testing your new solar cooking stove. Funny how that works. :badday:

We'll just have to wait with you. :8-hungry:

Offline magispook

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
Today was supposed to be sunny at least for a portion of the day but it turned out to be gray and dreary all day so far.  Rain predicted for the next two days but perhaps Sunday may have some sun.  Even got out one bread dough thingee to rise just in case but ain't gonna happen today.  Thanks for the thanks. 

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 08:09:48 PM »
I see you are jumping at the bit to try the oven  :)  I know the feeling to get something new and can't even play with it.  :1-giggle:

Offline magispook

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
Sunny conditions so I baked some cinnamon rolls in the Sport solar cooker.  Outside temp was around 27 degrees when I baked them. Cooking tube outside was cool to the touch. Couldn't measure internal temp......yet. Yep, outside temp doesn't matter. Wind doesn't matter. The evacuated tube acts similar to a thermos as a buffer between the outside and internal. Just ordered an infrared thermometer like my brother has and I will then be able to get a reading on internal temp. Supposed to get from 500 to 700 degrees internal. We'll see. A thermometer to measure internal meat temp is on my list of things to get too.  Don't know if this link will work but it goes to my Facebook page showing our dog Booger (real name is Sebastian but everyone now calls him that) with me hoping to get one of the buns (he didn't).  Others show cooker inside and outside.  Tray pulled out.  And end result.  The cooker has exceeded expectations.  This may solve an ongoing problem as I cannot stand the smell of fish or fish cooking and my wife grew up on the seacoast.  She can cook outside and no smell inside the house (as long as there is about 20 minutes of sunshine).  I'm sure Taylor would be willing to help me cook/eat cinnamon buns.   :8-cinbuns:

https://www.facebook.com/dan.wingo1/media_set?set=a.10153134174885724.1073741828.566760723&type=3

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 07:31:48 PM »
I tried to see your link and it says it is not available at the moment so i will try later. I am anxious to see how it does.

I am surprised that Taylor didn't show up I think she can smell cinnamon 1000 miles away  :1-giggle: