Author Topic: What are you making for Christmas Gifts  (Read 1449 times)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
What are you making for Christmas Gifts
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »
I am hoping to get a quilt made and a Ravenclaw cape. I need to get started on making the grandkids Christmas ornaments made too. Trouble is I don't have a clue what I want to make them this year.  :-\

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline Plop

Re: What are you making for Christmas Gifts
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
Just got thru with nephews, and grandsons ornaments, Ninja turtles. Easy to make green Christmas ornaments paint mask on and glue googly eyes. TMNT found on pintrest.  Still need to do no sew blankets for 2 of grandkids. And other than helping the grandsons make ornaments for gifts, I am done. Cause if its not done by Thanksgiving it doesn't get done around here.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
One of the Christmas stocking stuffer gifts for DGD who will be 16 just before Christmas will be a fun googly-eyed bracelet. Not sure if I have a 2" wide piece of black elastic or not but I could just cut the wrist cuff off a small dark sweater and sew various sizes of googly-eyes from Walmart onto it. I think I'll make one with glow in the dark eyes too. LOL They should be fun for a few days out of the year for any age.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 07:02:28 AM »
 :Holly:  Camper quilts for the gnieces and gnephews.  Whole cloth top and back, 2 yards of 45" fabric.  Sandwich, stitch and turn, and top stitch around the edge.  I keep the walking foot on one machine, ready to quilt.

But I may opt for machine tacking with 4-6"  spacing, using multiple zig zag stitch with stitch length and width set very small.  Use purple disappearing marker for dots ... or white tailor's chalk for small x.  Position quilt at dot and stitch 8 times.  Move from dot to dot without cutting thread so it goes quickly.  When tacking is finished, clip threads close to tacks.  The tacks will have tiny tight stitches that will make a knot that doesn't come loose.  If you haven't tried it, see for yourself with a  little test sandwich.  (A friend made a lot of small quilts for the Linus program, and she developed this tacking method.)

I'm debating about adding an 18" square on the back to make a foot pocket - like a quillow.  It is a good way to keep a quilt in place and keep feet warm when a quilt is used for camping. 
:sewmachine:

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »
Neat idea, Garnet. :2-tysign: The machine tacks would be better than hand made ones as they wouldn't pucker like hand-stitches probably would. :claphands: Keeping in mind that I'm not a very experienced quilter, this sounds like a great idea.

I want to give a shout out :2-tysign: to Chloe for her ideas yesterday. Y'all are all very encouraging. :gfriends1:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »
Garnet I like the idea of the quilt pocket.

I have been putting on a extra square on my afghans for the pocket as it sure helps to keep them from unfolding and easier to store

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
I have decided to paint some pictures for you sons as part of their Christmas gifts.

I have one done i posted it on my blog under painting if you want to see.  :)