Author Topic: Apples  (Read 1189 times)

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
Apples
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »
It's apple time!!!

Whew DH and I worked up a bushel of Winesap apples this afternoon and when we ran out of room after filling up 2 dehydrators with slices, I froze two well filled quart freezer bags of slices for cooking later on.

We enjoy the dried apples as a snack, cooked into fried pie filling, etc. however I'm always looking for different ways of using them. What ways do you use dried apples?
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
Re: Apples
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:18:11 AM »
When I'm drying apple rings which are seasoned with cinnamon & nutmeg, or allspice and sugar, there are usually a few odds and end pieces that I cut up into small pieces and put (dry) into pint size jars that I vacuum seal and use when I make oatmeal and the like.

I have some tiny cookie cutters that I use with pastry and sometimes with foods I'm drying to make cakes, cookies & pies, etc. look real fancy. The kids used to love to do that back in the day. If I make Baker's Clay ornaments I use some of these same cookie cutters for that as well. They look really sweet on wrapped gift boxes, too.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:05:28 PM »
I love apple butter, I also use dried apple chopped up reconstitute and put in muffins along with other fruits.

Reconstitute apple go good with other foods too. like sweet potatoes, butternut squash or make a chutney to go with pork

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:07:06 PM »
Wonderful ideas ladies, thank you. I need these ideas since I've decided that the bushel of Golden Delicious apples are a bit more ripened than I want to use for pie filling. Probably should have taken the lid of the box sooner. So I'll probably be working them up tomorrow and filling the dehydrators again. But we've NEVER had dried apples go to waste.

Chloe~ I love apple cinnamon muffins so I'll have to try out that idea. I've only ever used a mix, never even occurred to me to do that!

CL~ Cute idea about the miniature cookie cutters, I actually am expecting some any day now from a Pampered Chef order. We like to put cinnamon and sugar on them too, never thought about nutmeg. And last year we did some with a couple of flavors of jello sprinkled on for the boys. Youngest grandson loved them.

Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington