Author Topic: Button Bracelets  (Read 669 times)

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
Button Bracelets
« on: September 20, 2014, 07:35:08 AM »
 :2-wave1:  Have you seen the button bracelets on pin boards?  They look like someone rummaged through my 2 large boxes of buttons and found something to do with those one-of-a-kind-that-are-just-too-pretty-to-discard but haven't found a garment that needs that particular button for an accent.  And in the process, they even found a matched set here and there.

So I'm thinking maybe I should do that.  Just need to decide how to string them.  What would you do?  Attach to a chain?  How?  String and knot to keep in place?  How?  What kind of cord?

Anyway, there are some really pretty bracelets.   And if I can find the right assembly method, they could go together fast. 

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: Button Bracelets
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
I to like buttons too, I  :) have a small collection.

I like making totes and I sometimes use the bottons to either decorate them or use as closures.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
Re: Button Bracelets
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
I would prefer a set that accents ONE of the pieces, such as a showcase broach, with earrings & bracelet that one smaller button matching the dramatic centerpiece in the broach or has just a few of the second most outstanding buttons, but really understated, would be striking. I would like the construction to be more organic than a chain for the foundation. A base of either crochet, weaving or Macramé would be my choice, as these would blend with other items of jewelry nicely, and go well with dressing UP classic, or dressing down & comfy.

Brew some nice herbal tea and sit with your buttons and your Muse to find out what ideas they have. I'm not sure they would go along with something that would go together fast. Now if we were talking about SNAPS, they would enjoy a quick something cute.

A lot of HOW button jewelry is put together depends on the person it is being made for...
Someone who values the age of the buttons would prefer them to be put together with thread or other material from that era; whereas young, dramatic, style-conscious wearers might have a preference for modern wire or metal connections, etc... I think a combination of hemp with a light touch of metal would be fun, as would "aged" thread that would accent the older buttons in an antique button arrangement.

Gee... I'm no help at all, am I? Maybe look for something that appeals to you on Etsy.com, where they list the materials that the jewelry is made of would give you ideas, or study some tutorials on button jewelry construction on youtube.com or a crafter's website.

The main thing is to enjoy~!