Author Topic: Solar Patio Light  (Read 764 times)

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
Solar Patio Light
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:45:49 PM »
:0-sun:  :pccoffee:  Sometimes I spend some time looking back at the old site, sometimes looking for information almost forgotten.

And one thing I had almost forgotten is this solar patio light.  I made a few for gifts.  They might be the most popular gift I've ever made.  At the time, the cost of materials was no more than $5 for a gift that was very pretty and practical.  It could even be considered a prep item for a power outage.

I got enough supplies to make a couple for myself but never got around to it.  A few days ago I ran across those supplies.  So I thought I would look up the post to review and make my lights.  I think I will get supplies to make several more to have on hand for gifts.

In case you missed it, here's the post at the old board.

http://ourcountryhaven.com/OCH3/index.php?topic=23357.0

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
Re: Solar Patio Light
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
Garnet~ Thanks for the link! I just asked about info on solar lights earlier so I'm off to check it out!
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 04:22:23 AM »
Don't know if I missed that post or if it slipped off my mental plate, but I just LOVE this idea. Here is the original link again and I'll post one of the pictures from there. I've bookmarked their blog to keep and eye out for other neat ideas, too.
http://modernhomemakerfiles.blogspot.com/2011/07/sand-and-surf-solar-light.html

Our DS & DDil live near the coast and he is in the navy, so I think I'll make a few up for them.

I also am wondering if a couple of these placed away from the porch might draw the mosquitoes and moths away or perhaps put these on the porch and place brighter solar lights out away from the porch would work better for that. Gonna have to do some experimenting.

Great idea~! :gfriends1: Thanks Garnet.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
 :2-hithere:  I'm a broken record about this little light of mine. Because it's time to make it just for me.   And I want to bump this post to the top, because this solar light would look pretty on your porch to welcome winter guests.  And most of all, because it's such a delightful gift that's inexpensive and not too difficult to make.

I've made these lights for gifts that everyone likes.  And I still have to make some for me.  I have the glass jars with glass tops and the marbles, and the plastic peanut butter jars with the smooth round base (no ridges.)  Just have to get the solar lights at Walmart.

So scroll back to the top for the full story.   :gthumbsup1:   

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 02:00:34 PM »
My mind is showing me other "themes" for these sweet little lights...

What about Spring with silk flower pedals in place of shells. We could use green Easter grass instead of sand and pastel glass gems. Heck, we could even make some holiday themed ones to line the walk or to place around inside to add a nice glow to the corners of rooms at parties and such.

BTW, the solar lights come in a variety of brightnesses, so buy carefully to get the best use for your money. I think some solar lights even hold standard AA or AAA batteries, but the LED bulb is what makes it brighter. Let's do some research... :1-giggle:

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 10:51:17 PM »
There are several types of solar lights available.  I remember we tried to select the best quality and value.

I've used  marbles instead of the sand and seashells.  I'm thinking of trying various things for seasonal color.  But for a gift, I may just use the colored marbles thinking they would last with exposure to light and heat from the sun.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
The marbles would work nicely too. Good idea, Garnet. :gthumbsup1: