Author Topic: Thoughts, Sayings, and Verses  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
Thoughts, Sayings, and Verses
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
 :3-puter:  Greeting cards, gift enclosures, and stitchery to display  ... all good ways to share a favorite expression.  And I've been looking through the OCH archives.  I found a tutorial for working with fonts, size, and layout for printing.  TY CL.

I make pressed flower cards.  Sometimes I want to use them for a personal note.  Sometimes I use a rubber stamp if I have one that's appropriate in my collection.  But you know how often we run across something we would like to print on a card.  In my case, I may not have the time or flower material.  So I am ready to get some things to print on card stock or notepaper ... even small things to frame.

I'm wondering about the necessity to give credit.  And how to do it without detracting from the saying itself.

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
Re: Thoughts, Sayings, and Verses
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »
I think if I knew the author the poem, phrase, or whatever I would give due credit. 

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 05:12:17 AM »
Oh Garnet, I'd LOVE to give a course in Creative Typography....
I have an un-hidden love affair with Letters... and could discuss this topic until everyone was sound asleep from listening to me drone on and on and on and on.... :1-giggle:

But since neither of us have time for all that fun.... Let me share a few typographic details so everyone knows how to work with fonts and other elements of Typography.

This...
"Typography is the art and technique of arranging type to make
  written language most appealing to learning and recognition."

...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typography

...was created by typing the quote, then highlighting part of the quote and adding "FORMATTING" by clicking on the icons above the smileys when we are typing our posts so it looks like this...
Code: [Select]
[size=12pt]"[b]Typography[/b] is the art and technique of arranging type to make
  written language most appealing to learning and recognition."[/size]
        [size=4pt][i][color=grey][font=arial]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typography[/font][/color][/i][/size]

:whisper: Seems to me to be very similar to quilting. :icon_hug:

There are literally thousands of different font faces

Fonts are categarized by style, such as...
3D . . . . . . Stencil . . . . . . . . Blackletter   
Blurred . . . Calligraphy . . . . . Chalk
Crayon . . . Christmas . . . . . . Decorative
Dingbats . . Disney . . . . . . . . Dotted
Fantasy . . . Fire . . . . . . . . . . Fixed-Width
Halloween . Handwriting . . . . Headline
Horror . . . . Italic . . . . . . . .  Medieval
Modern . . . Old-English . . . . Outline
Retro . . . . . Rounded . . . . . Sans-Serif
Script . . . . Serif . . . . . . . . . Tattoo
Western

The Dingbat fonts often show images and pictures instead of the alphabet. They often look like rubber stamps and are a lot of fun to use for decoration to go along with the poems, quotes and sayings we often put on cards and gifts.

Our computers come with some font variations on the word processor or graphic programs that are frequently used to make custom cards, etc. If you'd like additional fonts, there are many websites with fonts that are free to download. A couple that have some free fonts to download and install on your computer are...
http://www.dafont.com/
http://simplythebest.net/fonts/
http://www.awwwards.com/the-100-greatest-free-fonts-for-2014.html
or purchase a CD of fonts.

As for Quotes and other works from another person, book, website or other source...
Elle Mae, you were definitely right-on with your advice. Thanks.

Giving credit where credit is due is the right thing to do, ethically, morally and legally, even in a personal card, in my opinion. However, citations may be small and unobtrusive. When we use a portion of a saying, anything from a quote, saying, etc., or parody someone else's work, we should note that our mixed result is... "adapted from _____" ...and give the original author, and sometimes the title of the quote or poem, saying, etc.  :1-giggle:

HOW to give credit depends on HOW you are writing it... handwriting, word processor writing, formal or informal writing, etc... can vary, the requirement to give credit rarely varies. I found a lot of guidence on this by googling "rules for citing author or source in writing or quoting".

Many of the rules of grammar, punctuation and citation changed with the advent of personal computers in the home, plus academic & business environments, and with increases in global communication, many so called "English grammatical errors" are routinely ignored. On the other hand, with the ease with which we can translate "foreign" languages, the need for source citation is more important than ever.

THEN there are people (like me) who do the typographical equivalent of talking with their hands by using a lot of commas, ....s, bold, underlined and "quote marks" mostly as personal STYLE~! A few people are fond of writing like this occasionally...
HAPPY TUESDAY EVERYONE~! :claphands: These additional visual expressions, plus icons :2-wave1: or smileys :1-smihearts: are often helpful as they add inflection and excitement to online conversations, which are notoriously lacking in showing the writer's INTENT while using the monotone environment of the internet. :3-puter:

This is probably more than most folks want or need to know, but this is an important skill, so best to share what we know and help each other learn more. Please post below if you have questions or need additional guidance. Here's hoping this post helps everyone enjoy typography more than ever.

PS... Think of the good feelings we can share, and the money we can save throughout the year by making custom sentiments that can be framed, worn or made into magnets and given at Christmas, birthdays, etc., to remind our loved ones how much we care.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:07:58 AM »
 :gspring1:  :thankyou:

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:43:06 AM »
  :claphands:  Signing up for

Creative Typography 101, Intermediate, Advanced, Post Graduate ...

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »
 :gpoke1: :stars: :1-smihearts: :gclap2: :3girls: :1-2hearts: :ghurray2: :goodbad: :gparty9:

Garnet, dear friend... you are priceless~! :icon_hug: :mademyday:
You have no idea just how much I needed this belly laugh today.
May you be blessed for your gentle humor.  :1-flowersyel:

Much Love,
...CL :3-rosie:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
If you ask Me you both are sort of amazing humorist.  :1-giggle:

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.