Author Topic: Cheese Crackers  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
Cheese Crackers
« on: August 06, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
What you'll need:
    1 cup Sunflower Seeds
    1 cup Brazil Nuts
    1 cup Almonds
    1 Tomato
    1 cup Diced Red Peppers
    1/4 cup Ground Flax Seed
    1 pinch Cumin
    2 teaspoons Salt

How to make it:
    1. Soak sunflower seeds, brazil nuts, and almonds for 4 hours.
    2. Add all ingredients to a blender and process until as smooth as desired.
    3. Spread out on Excalibur Paraflexx sheet and dehydrate for about 18 hours.
    4. After approximately 6-10 hours, cut crackers to size you want.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
Re: Cheese Crackers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »
Ok I will be the first one to admit that things sometimes fly right over my head but what makes this recipe "Cheese Crackers"?
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
Beats the heck out of me.  I was hoping someone had tried it and could say if maybe it had a cheesy flavor from the mixture of the nuts, etc. 

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
 :claphands:  :1-giggle:  :2funny:

Too funny EM!!!

I clicked on thinking "oh CHEESE crackers and then no cheese was listed! I have had cheese that has a nutty buttery taste but not vice versa.

:thankyou:
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:56:36 PM »
 :1-ROFL: Bless your hearts...  :grouphugg: :1-giggle:

These are crackers that are to be served WITH CHEESE, such as a cheese ball.

Maybe we should call them "Crackers For Cheese".

I'd probably want to add some powdered, toasted onion, chives or garlic.
I bet they would be good crumbled as cracker crumbs on soup, etc., too.
Very healthy and nourishing.

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »
Well now CL that makes much more sense!!!  :thankyou: But the name would imply that.....it has cheese in the recipe :2funny:
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »
 :whisper:  OK has anyone tried these crackers yet?  I'm just not about to go first. 

Also, I need to know if you are using red bell peppers.  And what if I don't have Brazil nuts on hand?  What should I substitute?

Please let me know as soon as you've succeeded with crackers made with your dehydrator.  I want to try some in my newly acquired dehydrator outdoors in triple digit temps.

:8-hungry: 

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:33:41 PM »
I'm game since the original post was mine.  I'll get the ingredients tomorrow, but Troubleshooter's family reunion is Sunday, so I'll put them in the dehydrator on Monday morning and give a full report by Tuesday.  OK???   Okay!!

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 11:50:19 PM »
Ok!!! What cha gonna serve them with? Cheese maybe?  :0-devil:
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 01:26:09 AM »
lol at Aviax2!!  Perhaps........maybe a little vino to go along with them too!!   :gpoke1:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:45:15 AM »
What every we should call them they sound good.  :gthumbsup1:

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »
 :claphands:  Staying tuned for the report on dehydrator crackers.  And thinking about what to serve with.

Well I needed to make a nutritious meal while each of us was either healing or in process with dental work, so it needed to be something "prechewed."  I made tuna salad and tried pureeing in a small chopper.  It worked fine on tender Ritz and another cracker.  And we agreed that it would work with other crackers for an appetizer.

Tuna Spread

Just put tuna, pickle relish, chopped celery, a little chopped mild onion, Miracle Whip, and a little seasoning of choice into a small chopper and give it a whirl.  Or use a blender or food processor for a larger quantity.

Guacamole

Chop and mash an avocado.  Add finely chopped mild onion, lime juice, garlic salt, salt and pepper, and a little Italian or Caesar dressing.  Mix by hand. 

:8-hungry:

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »
The crackers are done.  They were "ok".......but let me preface that by saying I'm not a cracker fan.  Troubleshooter tried them with some homemade dip, and he really liked them. (Max :4-dog: agreed with Troubleshooter)

If you have none of the ingredients on hand, be prepared for sticker shock.  I dropped a $20 bill at Walmart purchasing the ingredients.  Of course, I realize that I didn't use all of any of them for this, but still to me that's a lot of money for crackers..... :1-giggle:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »
Well I have to say with the cost of the crackers. It would need to be a special occasion for me to try them. Oh I just thought -- At Christmas you can get all those nut for less by buying them un-cracked  :gparty9:

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 06:23:21 PM »
Since DH & I both have dental challenges, it sounds to me like I'd have to run them through the food processor a few times to mix it all up into a FINE crumble after they are dehydrated, then use a tablespoon or two IN a cheese ball and put the rest all over the top cheese ball. Maybe use cream cheese with compatible herbs.

Thanks so much for trying this Elle Mae. Nuts are a superfood and perhaps this has come up so that you and Troubleshooter can be reminded to eat more nuts, eh?