Author Topic: It's tomato time...  (Read 938 times)

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
It's tomato time...
« on: August 01, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
It's tomato time at our place. DH has already given several buckets and crates of tomato's away since we've had so much going on. He had told me that the tomato relish in the pantry was old and we needed to toss it. We got a batch of tomato relish going on the stove and after checking the pantry I indeed found some relish, chili sauce, a couple of jars of pizza sauce had gotten overlooked and had been canned in 2008 and 2009. Okay no big deal, time to empty those jars and concentrate on making fresh. Brought them to the kitchen and emptied and washed the jars.

But you know I was so surprised that he said we didn't have any home canned tomato products in the long term pantry downstairs other than tomato juice. I kept telling him "I know I canned relish, etc in the past couple of years" but he just  :IDontKnow: and gave me that look that he hated to tell me but no I must not have LOL! Well shame on both of us for not keeping better track! "We" went down to check it out and starting moving some of the canning jar boxes around and found relish, diced tomato's and lots of tomato juice I canned in 2012 and since it's all been kept out of the light it looks perfect.

I'll be concentrating on this one batch of relish, a few batches of pizza sauce and salsa after that who knows, maybe find a recipe for tomato soup?!  I also be heading back to the basement with a notebook to make a list!!!

Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: It's tomato time...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 05:02:38 PM »
Avia   I would love to have one too.   If you find a good tomato soup recipe please share it.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 12:42:31 AM »
This is NOT my recipe, but I intend to try it.  I found it online, with no name listed to give credit.

Tomato Soup
Makes 14 pints

Ingredients:
1/2 cup roughly chopped onion
2 celery ribs or 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 cup salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
7 quarts tomato puree, juice
tsp. citric acid to each jar or equivalent lemon juice

Directions:

Note: use a large oversized non reactive (stainless steel or enamelware) pot for stirring ingredients together.

Put seven quarts of the tomato juice or puree that you get when you run your tomatoes through a food mill or strainer into the large oversized stockpot.

Put the chopped onion, celery, sugar, salt and pepper in a blender and put in about 3 cups of the tomato puree or juice. Blend until smooth and add to pot.

Cook over medium heat and stir constantly to avoid sticking. Cook until thick and bubbly. Stirring constantly. (If using juice, that is what to do, let it cook on low in a crockpot overnight to thicken. If it is not as thick as you like add in a can of tomato paste). You add to jars now or put it back in the a pot and boil one minute and then fill pint jars, adjust sterilized lids, and process for 30 minutes at 10 lbs pressure in pressure canner.

To serve: Mix in equal parts of soup and water or milk (I use one can of evaporated milk, makes it real creamy) and whisk in 4 tbsps of flour or cornstarch and 4 tbsps of melted butter.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
 :thankyou:   EM  That does sound good. I am  saving the recipe.

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »
Chloe~ I'm still looking around but if I get around to making soup I'll share what recipe I make and how we like it.

EM~ The recipe you shared looks really good, let us know how you like it please.
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »
Thank you I will keep watching  :gthumbsup1: