Author Topic: Aqua Floral Coasters  (Read 777 times)

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
Aqua Floral Coasters
« on: July 10, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »
 :2-wave1:  I'm sending these miniquilt coasters to friends.  When they sit down to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea or a cold drink and look at their coaster, they will know we think of them often. 

Two still need to be top stitched around the edge.

TY CL for resizing the picture.

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
Re: Aqua Floral Coasters
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:27:04 PM »
Beautiful color combination Garnet!!  They'll think of you everytime they have coffee.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »
Garnet what a great idea !!!!
I usually use a pot holder but I like your idea better.

I also like the idea of being able to use even my scrap batting too.  :gthumbsup1:

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 03:10:41 PM »
 :2-wave1:   :thankyou: for your comments.

I weighed a coaster, card, and envelope.  About 0.7 oz.  So I can send a scant 5" coaster with a 1st class stamp.  I keep an economy pack (Joann or Michael's) of card stock and envelopes.  I even checked the weight for a pressed flower card with a coaster - still under an oz.

I've been looking for something attractive and functional that would not be just a throwaway greeting card. 

As time permits and inspiration comes, I will do some decorative stitching or more quilting.  But the old basic potholder method was good for the easiest, quickest first approximation.  The first of anything is always the hardest and takes the most time.   :2-hithere:

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:38:50 PM »
Lovely coasters and thoughtful idea.
Way to go, Garnet.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 10:01:33 PM »
 :o  What was I thinking!  Grouping those coasters on point.  Thought the arrangement looked artistic.  But when I began trying to crop the picture, I realized it would have been so much easier if they were aligned on the vertical and horizontal.  Easier if they had been photographed individually.  And then I realized too late that my smiley said Hi There.   :1-giggle:

So many learning experiences.  So little time.   :1-smihearts:

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 09:07:22 AM »
  :2-hihand:   :o  Another lesson learned ... about a potholder in a card.

I wanted to send a partially completed potholder so a crafting friend could see how Warm and White and Insulbrite layers were  used.  Had the return label and stamp on the envelope and instructions on the smallest, thinnest sheet of paper, and checked the weight on my official PO scale.  Even trimmed the potholder edges slightly to be sure the whole combination was within 1 oz.  (Friend is somehow trying to live in this century without a computer and email!  Double sigh!!)

Checked the weight and size for first class letter.  All OK.  Off, off and away as snail mail.

Uh oh, post person rang her doorbell and wanted over $2 because USPS had considered it a package because it was puffy. 

She said return to sender.  I have not seen it since.  Well, I had folded the potholder over partially, and the 5x7 envelope was a little puffy.

So times have changed, and now we know.  What was considered as first class ordinary mail in the past - as long as the size and weight was ok - has changed.  I checked as best I could at the USPS site before doing my test run.  But there was another classification/restriction that I didn't find or didn't notice.

So I think a coaster will fly ... umm travel ... via snail mail with a first class stamp, but anything that gets to be puffy won't. :1-giggle:

I guess we could adapt a saying    ... will happen when potholders fly...   :2funny:

I guess I better say if you plan to mail a coaster, beware.   :IDontKnow: 

But just for the record, USPS people have always been 100% helpful and pleasant on the numerous occasions I've done business with them.   

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
I know what you mean about the USPS, I guess they have to do all the stuff since people don't send letters much anymore.

I also agree it is not the people that work at the post office that make these decisions and they are nice here to, too explain the new rules.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.