Author Topic: Package and Storing Dried Foods  (Read 843 times)

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Package and Storing Dried Foods
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:23:48 PM »

Store dried foods in clean, dry home canning jars, plastic freezer containers with tight-fitting lids or in plastic freezer bags. Vacuum packaging is also a good option. Pack foods in amounts that can be used all at once. Each time a package is re-opened, the food is exposed to air and moisture that can lower the quality of the food and result in spoilage.

Pack food in amounts that will be used in a recipe. Every time a package is re-opened, the food is exposed to air and moisture that lower the quality of the food.

Dried foods should be stored in cool, dry, dark areas. Recommended storage times for dried foods range from 4 months to 1 year. Because food quality is affected by heat, the storage temperature helps determine the length of storage; the higher the temperature, the shorter the storage time. Most dried fruits can be stored for 1 year at 60F, 6 months at 80F. Vegetables have about half the shelf-life of fruits.

Foods that are packaged seemingly "bone dry" can spoil if moisture is reabsorbed during storage. Check dried foods frequently during storage to see if they are still dry. Glass containers are excellent for storage because any moisture that collects on the inside can be seen easily. Foods affected by moisture, but not spoiled, should be used immediately or redried and repackaged. Moldy foods should be discarded.

extracted from

How Dry, Pack and Store

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
Re: Package and Storing Dried Foods
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:24:19 AM »
I had saved a few of jars of dehydrated potato slices I did in 2011.  I have been using a jar every year since.

I used one the other day in some stew they were still as good as the first year.  (3 years later)

Something I have dried last longer than other so it is good to check often as to how they are fairing.

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.