Author Topic: Re-Purposing(?) of Items  (Read 589 times)

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
Re-Purposing(?) of Items
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:45:57 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this, but here goes.  Feel free to move it necessary.

Several years ago at an estate auction across the street I purchased (among other things) an old cast iron butchering kettle.  Needless to say, Troubleshooter was not real happy with me as it took both him and a neighbor to carry the kettle back across the street to our house.  This thing must weigh 250 pounds!!!  (but hey, I got it for only $10)  Anyway for the last several years it has been living on my front porch in its new life as a planter.  I filled the bottom of the kettle with 25 pound bags of potting soil to take up space and then put an plastic garbage bag over them to seal off the area and filled it the rest of the way with loose potting soil.  It has been the home to various kinds of plants over the years, but the wave petunias seem to really like it.

At the base of the kettle is my garden frog.....also an auction find.  The plan was for him to sit at our garden gate this year, but since it didn't work out for us to get a garden in this year he sits at the base of my butchering kettle on the porch and guards the front door.  He has made a number of people jump when they first see him.... :1-giggle:  Hopefully next year he will have his rightful place at the garden gate.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
Re: Re-Purposing(?) of Items
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
Those petunias are mighty pretty, Elle Mae. :icon_hug:

:gthumbsup1: Cute frog, too.

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »
I like the way you are using the kettle. Plus the flowers are so pretty with all the vibrant color

Your frog too would make me feel welcome. :gthumbsup1:

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:48 AM »
 :claphands:  I'm late getting here but enjoying the posies and frog.  TFS