Author Topic: Camino de Santiago  (Read 2069 times)

Offline magispook

Camino de Santiago
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »
Hoping to do the Camino de Santiago this Fall.  That is a 500 mile pilgrimage from St. Jean Pied du Port in the south of France through the Pyrenese mountains across Spain to Santiago de Compostela near the Atlantic ocean. Gotta work out budget concerns first, of course.  I would hate to regret later on not going while I still have the health such a journey requires even though a lot of seventy-year-olds do make the journey as I understand it.  Here's a link for those interested.  Watch "The Way" on youtube for one Aussie guy's experience.  I believe his documentary is real world.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/20/walking-the-camino-documentary_n_5357509.html

I will keep ya'll up to date on my preparations for this pilgrimage starting with telling all that I have started training walking with a twenty pound pack for three miles twice a day.  Also have made contact with a podiatrist and will be getting an orthotic for everyday use (sure do need it) and also keeping in mind the trek.  Found out Thursday a local priest did the Camino a couple years ago and will do it again this August (yes, lots of pilgrims do it again and again).  Have left my card at his church office in hopes he will make contact with me.  No contact yet--he may think I'm some nutcase as I do not belong to his parish and I'm not Catholic either. 

Walked five miles with the pack this morning then spent 2.5 hours cutting the grass. Went on a three mile hike with pack on the Raven Rock trail at Cooper's Rock with wife and niece. Took us one hour and found out later typical time is one and a half hours. This was arduous for me at present due to hilly and stony terrain.  I kid you not, it was uphill most of the way to and from Raven Rock.  I was feeling those other miles and the twenty pound weight of the pack the last half mile uphill. Hope to get to the point this type hike will be in the category of "meh" meaning I will have built the required muscle and stamina necessary.  Still working on paring down pack weight.  Again, the prepper in me battles the pragmatist in me not to mention the experience of thousands of pilgrims who depend on hostels and the hospitality of those who live along and walk the trail.  Bottom line is pack weight should not exceed seventeen pounds (ten percent of my body weight).  I have the will.  I have the gear.  I have my wife's blessing but for next year and I'm trying to change that.  The cancer experience changes how one looks at the world.  My time is short.  Tomorrow is not a given and my wife understands that intellectually but not intuitively like I now do.  Trying to get her to watch the Emilio Estevez film "The Way" which was shot entirely on location along the Camino de Santiago.  Of course, funds play an important role in this whole thing.  And no, she doesn't have the bug or conditioning to do the pilgrimage with me.  Also trying to learn Spanish but the Pimsleur Spanish course I got from ebay will not transfer to my Android or iPod--it will only play from my computer which ties me to my desk instead of learning while walking which is how I learned German and French.  That's it for now.

Offline magispook

Re: Camino de Santiago
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »
A friend of mine just sent me a link to a Rick Steve's Europe episode about the Camino de Santiago on youtube.  It's fantastic and will motivate you to go.  Anyone coming along with me?  Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YvtQyYzuBI

Offline lee1959

• OCH Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 08:24:31 AM »
It looks like a grand thing to do. It is obviously a dream you need to follow, I hope it is everything you expect. Too much I still want to explore in the U.S> before moving out to Europe, especially Alaska, to misquote Jerimiah Johnson, "Gods finest sculpturins", truly where I feel closest to God.
Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde

Offline magispook

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »
I asked a world traveling acquaintance of mine who lives in Colorado why she hasn't done much exploring in the US and Canada.  Her response makes some sense to me.  She said she's saving those places for when her health is not as good as it is presently while she's exploring the rest of the world. 

Offline lee1959

• OCH Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
That is indeed asensible way to look at things.
Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde

Offline Garnet

• OCH Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »
 :2-wave1:  Saw a brief interview this morning with 2 men who made the trip.  They are long time friends.  One man pushed the other in a wheel chair. 

Offline magispook

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
There is a Facebook page called American Pilgrims on the Camino (also known as APOC).  There were numerous posts by other peregrino about sighting (and assisting) them along the way.  Great page to monitor.  Wife surprised me this morning.  After watching a Korean segment on Koreans walking the Camino, she now wants to go.  BUT only during 2015.  She said she has to get in shape physically and mentally.  All well and good but tomorrow is not given and there are pilgrims who simply go without training, etc. and still complete it.  I already have my pilgrim credential (pilgrim passport) and would go tomorrow.  She has no sense of urgency at all regarding this and refuses to acknowledge any concern otherwise. Like I've noted before, cancer changes your perspective.  I see no advantage at all in laboring one's life away primarily to make money to add to some bank's coffers and financially enrich others.  Where is the harm in doing something for yourself as long as you have the basics covered?

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
Ah... the joys of the married life...

Invite her to come along on YOUR trip NOW, and perhaps she will invite you to go along on HER trip in 2015. That way the air fare for both could be on Uncle Sam. Maybe she could ride a bike this year while you hike? :gthumbsup1:.

Offline magispook

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
An update. Good news:   After watching a few Korean PBS documentaries, my wife has now decided she wants to do the Camino.
Bad news:  Not as much work coming in as I need to fund this year (I strive to live within my harvest) and an unexpected college expense has come up, so we're now realistically looking at Fall 2015.  In the interim, we're training.  Wife and I did 6 miles today at our nearby state park on a wooded trail.  (Then I did an extra five miles later.)  She's talking clothing gear and boots which is a good sign.  Fortunately my daughter has some of the clothing gear and boots from her mission trip to Nepal last year.  Perhaps they will fit or can be adapted.  It's good to see her doing some research.  She's going to give her employer about fourteen months notice of a need for time off.  Hopefully, employer will agree--my wife is a skilled worker and they're getting increasingly difficult to find. I'm going Fall 2015 regardless.  Unless, of course, if I win the lottery soon.  But then, it's my understanding you have to play the lottery in order to have a chance to win.  I don't believe there is any millionaire reading Magispook's Musings who decides to fund for grits and shiggles.  So it's put a little away for a vacation fund as opportunity presents or win the lottery.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »
 :gthumbsup1: :gspring1: :gthumbsup1:

Offline chloe

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
I know it is disappointing not to go to Camino de Santiago but then again sometime things happen for the best. I bet next year’s trip will be a the best this will give you all more time to plan your activities together.

:)

Good friends are like stars...
        You don't always see them,
        but know they are always there.

Offline magispook

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 01:02:34 PM »
Ordered her a pair of shock absorbing hiking poles (Nordic walking type) last night.  I have my folding hiking staff which I have been training with.  But what I'm reading is that the hiking poles are preferred for folks our age as they lessen the impact on knees and back.  I will be walking on 60 year old legs up and down mountains and on flat land and other terrains in-between.  Typical day's walk is about six hours and fifteen miles.  My staff serves me well but maybe I'll do a test or two with her poles at our closest state park that has just about all the types of terrain we'll encounter.  That's where we'll be training other than my daily walks.  I'll be open-minded about the poles but really like my staff which only weighs five and a quarter ounces.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 06:20:36 PM »
I just think this is an :claphands: awesome thing for y'all to do~!
Glad its going to work out for y'all to do it together. :1-smihearts:

Offline magispook

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 08:56:20 PM »
In training for the Camino this Fall.  Training at least four miles a day with a 23 pound pack (I'll get the weight down) and the other four-plus miles without the pack.  Budget is almost in place--not like last year when I planned to go.  Daughter gets married in August so will have some time to start notifications, etc, afterwards.  Goal is to have every household budget item paid two months in advance so prompt payment won't be one thing for me to stress about over there.  I have a rule:  the day a bill comes in is the day the bill is paid.  Got my sea shell on my pack already (symbol of pilgrims and gets you privileges such as hostels, pilgrims meals at a discount, etc).  My Indian (feather, not dot) friend is going to query an elder on my behalf for advice on something small/lightweight to carry on my journey representing my Native heritage.  I have made him aware that I expect some discomfort and hardship there but it is, after all, a spiritual journey for me which is (as I understand it) part of every Indian's rite of passage.  Will keep ya'll updated.

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 01:23:39 AM »
Thanks for keeping us posted. I, for one, am interested in your journey and would like to keep up with the details. Good Luck to both of you as you train and strengthen your bodies & minds for this experience.

Congratulations on your DD's engagement. They grow up SO fast and then ~poof~ they are on their way in their own life, and soon with a family of their own, usually. :1-giggle:

I wish we could tap into the experience from your wife's perspective as well. Does she journal or blog her preparations for the journey somewhere, as you do here? If she does and doesn't mind, I'd sure like to read along.

Thanks for staying in touch, Dan.