Author Topic: Pictures  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
Pictures
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:38:58 PM »
What is the maximum allowable size in kilobytes for pictures?  Please and thank you.

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
  • I just LOVE this place~!
    • OurCountryHaven Blogs and Forums
Re: Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:15:18 AM »
Great question, Elle Mae. :thankyou: Everyone needs the answer to this question.

The limits have changed from the older OCH and have actually become larger. :claphands:

Restrictions: Maximum of 5 attachments per post, maximum total size 500KB for all attachments in each post, maximum individual size 200KB

That said, one of the quickest & best ways to reduce KB is to resize the image to a maximum of 600w x900h pixels. Most comuters don't show you the FULL size of the image and most people look at the image on their screen and think that is it's full size.

The second best way to reduce KBs is to crop out what isn't the subject and see if that helps enough.

The third best way to reduce KBs is to reduce the number of colors. Much of the time, 256 colors is adequate for screen viewing.

Making images too small is a mistake too, because we can't see enough detail to tell what we are looking at. This is especially problematic with faces and details on crafting & sewing items, equipment and sometimes food.

I'll be happy for you (or anyone) to email the image to me and then you can see what I would do with it, and compare that to what you have done with it. Its not that I am so smart, I've just been around longer and made more mistakes than anyone else. LOL

We LOVE for folks to include photos in their posts~!

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »
I would really like to learn how to post photo's but I don't know how to even start. So here is a question.

If I have a photo on my phone or ipad how would I go about sharing it on post? Would I need to download it to my computer first? Okay, that was two questions!
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »
Avia, Elle Mae, and everyone...
I am delighted to help all OCHers learn how to do thing that make OCH a better experience. Images are one of the best ways to share and personalize OCH which definitely makes it better. :claphands: Thanks so much for asking!

If I have a photo on my phone or ipad how would I go about sharing it on a post?

Well..... there are several answers, but that's okay. :icon_hug: Let's start with a couple of answers and we'll go from there. :1-giggle:

If the directions sound over your head, don't get flustered... Let's work on this together so you can learn and I can correct any errors I've caused you to make if my directions are not accurate. I've bounced all around the directions below and have probably made serveral errors or failed to finish some sentences properly. Together we can get the directions so smoothly written that almost anyone can follow them easily. IF we adults can just get past "being embarassed" at being "wrong", we all can learn much better and faster. Adults are HARD to teach because we are accustomed to knowing how to do everything. This is true about anything new that adults try to learn. We usually forget how to be a blank page and start learning new things from scratch. Kids are so blessed to be able to learn easily! Adults often have to have something familiar to attach new things to, and that's a fact. So with that in mind...

If you normally transfer your photos from your device to a folder on your computer, flash drive or CD, you can do that and then upload it from your computer, flash drive, or CD to OCH with the ATTACH: app below the dialog box you type your posts in, but first check it's file size in KB by letting your mouse pointer rest over top of the image and a info box will come up and give you that information. That's important because your attachments have to be smaller than 200KBs each, and you can add up to 5 images as long as the TOTAL of all images is less than 500KBs. Attached images show up at the bottom of your post. Once an image is uploaded as an attachment, it is on OCH's server and doesn't get lost from it's post.

If you normally transfer your photos from your device to a folder at PhotoBucket.com or some other online graphic/photo album program, which gives you a separate LINK to each image, you can upload your image directly into your post without using the attach app. Instead paste the link into the post and place "image tags" around it. To do that, paste the link in complete with http:// in front of it, highlight the entire link and click the IMAGE TAG button (first icon on the last row of formatting icons above the smiley group on the post page) That looks like [img ]http://www.somewhere on PhotoBucket.com[/img] without the spaces.  :) 
HOWEVER, because images taken by digitial cameras and some phones/pads are quite large KB-wise (which can take up unnecessary space on the server, which will resize the image to our maximum size of 600w x900h in pixels) and in it's dimensions (which can interfere with the forum software's layout), it is important to have the image in the storage folder near the maximum size of 600w x900h in pixels.

I have the email address of the PhotoBucket uploader as one of my cell phone contacts which allows me to send an image to PhotoBucket by email attachment and I can proceed from there. I don't have a smart phone nor do I allow our phones to access the internet, so I can't get to the LINK from my phone. Once I access PhotoBucket from my home computer I can copy the LINK and paste it into a post by Link. One potential problem with letting everyone use PhotoBucket type programs is that they frequently move pictures around or delete them which causes a dead link where the image used to be shown which looks like the Forum is deserted. I cannot express strongly enough how badly that reflects on the professionalism and credibility of the whole forum, so please, if you use this method, use a folder on PhotoBucket for all your ONLINE IMAGES and don't remove them or let your account go dormant if its a paid service or your internet provider. IPs get bought up and merged all the time. You may be able to set the resolution size of stored image files at something near the 600w x900h in pixels that fits most Forums and Blogs

Would I need to download it to my computer first? see above... its one of the answers above.  :1-giggle:

If anyone sees an error in what I've typed above... PLEASE let me know so I can correct it as quickly as possible.

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »
CL~ I've tried several times today to read this but between grandson, internet going out and other stuff, I haven't had a chance. But I will.
Avia

"Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company." 
                                                                    --Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
I TOTALLY understand. That's how I feel with distractions here when I'm trying to learn or remember how something is done. Remember, and I have to remind myself of this...

INCH BY INCH... Life's a Cinch.
           YARD BY YARD... It's HARD~!

Sometimes its best to take small bites. :Yes1:  Read it over when you're fresh and there's no chaos. Then re-read it again without distractions and then take it paragraph by paragraph. Ask questions when you feel confused or get stumped. The problem is that there are many ways to do things with computers and get the same result. We all have different experiences so, taking it little step by little step, we slowly come to the same experience. Don't try to swallow the whole thing, bite by bite is best.

If you have an image, or some images, you'd like to post now, send them by email to me at CountryLady (at) gmail.com. I'd be happy to get them ready to be posted and send them back to you so you can post them. It will give us good practice.

:whisper: :icon_hug: :1-flowersyel: :gtea9: :1-smihearts: :3-puter: :2-wave1: :claphands: :congratulations: :gfriends1:

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »
Well I still can't do it but I don't feel quite as bad as I did!

I tried last night to post a picture from some that are already downloaded on my computer but it just wouldn't work. So I just had DH read your post and try and do it and he did the same things I did and it wouldn't work. We can't figure out how to make the pic smaller so it will work. He's smarter than me with computers, cameras, etc so if he can get it figured out, he can hopefully show me lol.

I don't even know what PhotoBucket is!

I'll see if I can get our DD's to help me this weekend. I'm feeling determined that I will learn how to do this!!!

Just saw the bit about sending you something CL, if I can keep it on my mind long enough for when DH gets back we'll try and send something!
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 08:36:39 PM »
Sending some to me will give us some clues by what their size is when I see them. Don't do anything to them so I can see sort of the original. Photos from different devices would be extra helpful if you have them.

If I can see them first, I can offer more specific guidence. It isn't easy until after you do this a few times, and all of a sudden..... :3-puter: and you say... :grockz1:

Don't forget to read the stuff I posted to Elle Mae above your first post.

I'm glad you're determined to do it. Thats what it takes to get it done.
Having DH's help and if needed, your DD's will make it work. I'm sure of it. :1-smihearts:
Oh and do you have an apple or PC computer. I don't speak "Apple"~! :blush

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 08:46:08 PM »
LOL, no worries on doing anything to the pic's before sending them on to you since we don't know how :gconfused1:

Yes, I just went back and saw your reply to EM but I didn't show DH that, but I will.

Computer is a Toshiba, but we do have an IPad and IPhones that we take pics with.

Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »
So tell me... How do you download them to your computer?
and how do you share them with your family members?
Do you print them out sometimes to frame or send to others in the US Mail? or ???
Do you ever change their size or crop them so you have faces larger or anything?

One thing I'm after is what Image Editing PROGRAM do you use on your Toshiba.
BTW... I have a Toshiba laptop.  :claphands: But no Ipad or Iphone. We'll get to that later. LOL

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Ok we just sent 4 pics to your email.

Ummm, in answer to your questions I don't know LOL.

from DH: Put the camera card into computer and it automatically saves them. He says if one of the DD's wants one they put it on their camera card or emails it.

We haven't printed any but DH sometimes does something with Shutterfly and makes a photo book.

We have no idea about the Editing Program. UGH, Sorry not much help are we?

Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 09:38:06 PM »
I just got the 4 pictures and after your post above I have the answers enough to do some research on this. It will only take a little while and we'll have things humming along in short order.  :gspring1:

Now relax and I hope you hear from me sometime tomorrow.  :1-giggle:
Y'all are in the exact same spot as most other folks, so just don't stress.
As we get this figured out and honed down to the smallest set of directions,
we'll be solving this same problem for THEM at the same time. Works for ME~!

:GHug:

Offline aviax2

• OCH Staff
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
Playing
Avia

--Booker T. Washington

Offline CountryLady

• OCH Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 01:26:52 PM »
Awww... Is that Buddy? Great photo and ya'll did SUPER WELL posting this. :gspring1:

:claphands: :claphands: :claphands:    :congrats:    :claphands: :claphands: :claphands: :gogirl:

Offline Elle Mae

• OCH Staff
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »
Great job Aviax2!!!  You can do this!!

( :whisper: very cute dog!!!  I bet he's spoiled like mine!! :1-giggle:)

"Just off of the beaten path, a little dot on a state road map. That's where I was born and where I'll die. Things move at a slower pace nobody's in the rat race and these days that's a special way of life"   - Down Home by Alabama